Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki FSD’s Earliest Adopters Still Waiting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The calibration eventually completed. The issues relate to a failing ultrasonic sensor. We’ve had errors start appearing & I’ve confirmed with a Service Center that the ultrasonic sensor errors are the cause of the issues. FSD Beta still works without the ultrasonics, but Navigate on Autopilot won’t. And regular autopilot won’t do lane changes without ultrasonics. We have an appointment at our local Service Center for the week after our road trip & they claim they’re ordering the needed parts. The ultrasonics work at low speeds, but as soon as we get above about 17 MPH the error message appears.
This sounds like the problem my car is going in for: constant "Park Assist Unavailable" and "Navigate on Autopilot Temporarily Unavailable" messages and no auto lane changes, while FSD works perfectly.

I see, I don't drive much either since I work from home, but my wife uses our car daily. I use FSD Beta just about every time I drive. If I'm in a hurry I won't use it because it is not as competent as a human driver & thus it's slower. It can't anticipate which lane will be faster or slower to make good decisions like a human can. It can't see 3-4 blocks down the road to anticipate traffic flows or the timing of traffic lights like a human can. I also don't use it that much with other ppl in the car because most ppl don't like it. Both my wife & my dad have complained about how jerky it is when I've used FSD Beta with them as passengers.

The scariest part of FSD Beta for me is how it wants to run red lights. I haven't captured any video with my phone showing both the dash & the behavior, but I did take a video of the dash in a situation where it may do that. Do others find that the red traffic lights don't show as constantly illuminated, but rather they flash? When they're flashing like in the video below, if there's a point where all the lights go dark in the eyes of FSD Beta plus there's no traffic it will go right through the red light. I've had it try to do it more than a half dozen times. I've also had times where it's slowing down for a red light then suddenly accelerates because it stopped "seeing" the red light. That is very scary. Every time I've tried to get a video of it running a red light when it's doing the flashing display like below the light either turns green quickly, there's too much traffic for it to go, or I'm too slow getting my phone out & it tries to take off before I can start recording.
I have also started to notice occasional flashing red lights, when instead they are solid red traffic lights... but it didn't go through, it stopped...

However, last week I was driving around midnight, very little traffic, and it made a left on red without stopping. I was shocked.

It was a small intersection with no traffic in any direction. The car went into the left turn lane and slowed down to nearly a stop, but kept rolling, never came to a full stop, and suddenly instead of coming to a full stop, it just accelerated and made the left turn. I was like WTF are you doing ?!? :oops:

It's almost as if it was going to stop, but then though, hey, it's really late, there's no traffic, why bother following the law. :eek:

• Funny
Reactions: pilotSteve
I have also started to notice occasional flashing red lights, when instead they are solid red traffic lights... but it didn't go through, it stopped...

However, last week I was driving around midnight, very little traffic, and it made a left on red without stopping. I was shocked.

It was a small intersection with no traffic in any direction. The car went into the left turn lane and slowed down to nearly a stop, but kept rolling, never came to a full stop, and suddenly instead of coming to a full stop, it just accelerated and made the left turn. I was like WTF are you doing ?!? :oops:

It's almost as if it was going to stop, but then though, hey, it's really late, there's no traffic, why bother following the law. :eek:
Been driving the FSD-b for about five weeks now. And, yeah, it started to move forward at a red light.. once. But, yeah, it did.

Definitely doesn't glide through stop signs, though. And, on a random basis, will stop ten or fifteen feet short of a stop sign, creep to the line, then creep some more, then... eeeaaasseee half-way through the intersection, then take off like a rabbit.

Needs work, but we know that 😁

• Funny
Reactions: Silicon Desert
MCU2/HW3 doesn't have it? It shows the three cameras in backup view, so why wouldn't it show the side camera with a turn signal?

The site reporting the new option to move it says they don't know what models/regions will get it...

Edit: I see that Tesla's matrix for V11 features does say that Legacy S/X don't get it... Weird...
Sometimes I wonder if it's just another way to tease people to upgrade to a new vehicle even though they might be able to accomplish that task. Then again, maybe I am just in a pessimistic mood today :)

Someone mentioned it being LED lights that it can’t see correctly. I believe they’re right. I’ve been watching it since & it only has issues with LED lights. Unfortunately pretty much all lights in our area are LEDs. I believe Tesla/Elon has mentioned this problem with current cameras & the HW4 cameras will be different to not have issues seeing LEDs.
Been driving the FSD-b for about five weeks now. And, yeah, it started to move forward at a red light.. once. But, yeah, it did.

Definitely doesn't glide through stop signs, though. And, on a random basis, will stop ten or fifteen feet short of a stop sign, creep to the line, then creep some more, then... eeeaaasseee half-way through the intersection, then take off like a rabbit.

Needs work, but we know that 😁
Yes, the jackrabbit starts, especially after turns, are awful. And the weird stopping long before a stop sign seems to relate to it “seeing” a stop line back which is reacts to. But when there is no stop line it sometimes goes to far. I’ve had it almost go through a red light into an intersection because of it not interpreting where it needs to stop. Idk about in other areas, but in our area very few intersections have a stop line so the car has to be able to stop in the right spot without a line on the pavement.
Sometimes I wonder if it's just another way to tease people to upgrade to a new vehicle even though they might be able to accomplish that task. Then again, maybe I am just in a pessimistic mood today :)
I think the same way most days lol 😂

Someone mentioned it being LED lights that it can’t see correctly. I believe they’re right. I’ve been watching it since & it only has issues with LED lights. Unfortunately pretty much all lights in our area are LEDs. I believe Tesla/Elon has mentioned this problem with current cameras & the HW4 cameras will be different to not have issues seeing LEDs.

Yes, the jackrabbit starts, especially after turns, are awful. And the weird stopping long before a stop sign seems to relate to it “seeing” a stop line back which is reacts to. But when there is no stop line it sometimes goes to far. I’ve had it almost go through a red light into an intersection because of it not interpreting where it needs to stop. Idk about in other areas, but in our area very few intersections have a stop line so the car has to be able to stop in the right spot without a line on the pavement.

I think the same way most days lol 😂
Yeah, well: regarding stopping before the stop line: When it does that, at least in my experience, the stop line is well-painted, standard, very much there, and, I think, shows up on the screen. The criteria that causes this particular behavior seems to be businesses buildings to the left (in particular) or right that block off the view of the intersecting road in both directions. I mean, it's building, sidewalk, curb, with very little verge. Now, if the car stopped at the stop line, then crept forward for a view, I'd get that, no problem, it'd be what I would do. But it stops ten or fifteen feet short of the line, creeps up a bit, then creeps halfway through the intersection before doing drag-race straight ahead.

Be fun when 10.13 shows up, but we'll probably have another set of funky behaviors.

Reactions: dramsey
…I believe Tesla/Elon has mentioned this problem with current cameras & the HW4 cameras will be different to not have issues seeing LEDs…

I would love to see the original sources for this.

NotATeslaApp quotes both Elon “Tesla is looking into new cameras. He was clear that the current cameras aren't a hindrance, but if Tesla can do better, then they will.” and Chris Zheng on Twitter “Tesla is planning to use Sony's new IMX490 automotive sensor in their upcoming hardware 4.0 revision.” The article goes on to say “More importantly, the new sensor will also support LED flicker mitigation” but it doesn’t go into detail or mention a source.

Last edited:
Reactions: Silicon Desert
I was just about to provide the link that @KArnold did below. That is the article I read about it. I guess it wasn't directly mentioned by Tesla/Elon as an LED flicker issue, but there was reporting about the new Sony camera being suspected as the HW4 camera & that camera will fix the LED flicker issues that plague the current setup.
Thanks for providing the link before I could :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: KArnold
I was just about to provide the link that @KArnold did below. That is the article I read about it. I guess it wasn't directly mentioned by Tesla/Elon as an LED flicker issue, but there was reporting about the new Sony camera being suspected as the HW4 camera & that camera will fix the LED flicker issues that plague the current setup.
But didn't we hear that Tesla signed a contract with Samsung for future cameras not Sony?

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
After my 2nd service appointment yesterday to get the correct RCCB cameras installed, I asked them to confirm today if the configs report as AP RCCB camera types but they are saying that it is still reporting as RCCC camera type. All the correct parts were installed (at-least on paper)- I can definitely tell the correct front triple, and the side repeater cameras are correct. How do we check if the correct B-pillar cameras were installed (as you cant see it on the dashcam view) and does it usually take time for the configs to update?

Reactions: Dr Doom
After my 2nd service appointment yesterday to get the correct RCCB cameras installed, I asked them to confirm today if the configs report as AP RCCB camera types but they are saying that it is still reporting as RCCC camera type. All the correct parts were installed (at-least on paper)- I can definitely tell the correct front triple, and the side repeater cameras are correct. How do we check if the correct B-pillar cameras were installed (as you cant see it on the dashcam view) and does it usually take time for the configs to update?
I actually called the customer service hotline and spoke to their autopilot customer service and double checked that all my camera parts were good to go. 1 (888) 518-3752 tesla customer service hotline. they were really nice and told me a bunch of helpful information.

They don't see a queue on their end on who gets the FSD beta invite. They are rolling out the beta invite by region, model and frequency of use of autopilot. so depending on your vehicle config, you might be first in line to get the beta invite. I get the impression that older tesla cars are not being pushed the beta as fast as the newer models. They also said it was region by region. so they might want more beta users in certain parts of country to help with their FSD learning and getting feedback. They also said it was important that there was consistent autopilot use in the past for the beta be given. I asked how they determined that- they said it was frequency. Not duration.

I actually called the customer service hotline and spoke to their autopilot customer service and double checked that all my camera parts were good to go. 1 (888) 518-3752 tesla customer service hotline. they were really nice and told me a bunch of helpful information.

They don't see a queue on their end on who gets the FSD beta invite. They are rolling out the beta invite by region, model and frequency of use of autopilot. so depending on your vehicle config, you might be first in line to get the beta invite. I get the impression that older tesla cars are not being pushed the beta as fast as the newer models. They also said it was region by region. so they might want more beta users in certain parts of country to help with their FSD learning and getting feedback. They also said it was important that there was consistent autopilot use in the past for the beta be given. I asked how they determined that- they said it was frequency. Not duration.
Well, that might explain something. I live in Central NJ, drive on combinations of limited access highways, major local roads with multiple lanes and Jersey barriers, and local roads all the time. NJ's congested: Not as bad as NYC, but, yeah.
I'd use the FSD all the time on LAH, quite a bit of the time on the major local roads, and occasionally on the very local roads, if such roads had lines painted. I'd also turn it off when things got dicey, which would happen a lot.

So: Congested area with so-so lane markings? Check.
Use FSD frequently? Check.
Got in with a score of 93. Was wondering why.. the explanation you stated makes some sense.

I grew up in and around NYC. Beyond belief congestion, sure. Lower Manhattan is a rat's nest of roads in every direction, in large part due to its colonial roots. And have been wondering just how FSD would work, at all, in 90%+ of the area. It sure isn't Detroit or LA in there. So, NYC might have some FSD-b people in there, but, wowzers: I hit the little "record" icon every time the FSD-b makes a mistake. Three things:
  • On local roads, I hit that icon 20-odd times per 24 mile trip.
  • On limited access highways, I hit that icon 5-odd times on the same length trip.
  • I'd say that 70% of those hits are not exactly life-threatening, just horribles like getting stuck on a turn. 20% would get people mad at me if I let FSD-b do what it wants. 8% would result in metal bending. And the last couple percent would result in death or injury, like T-boning a car in an intersection or running a red light. After stopping. And in front of a fast-moving car. This last stuff doesn't happen all the time, really, but has happened. And most of the time, when going straight down a road, it does OK.
Put FSD-b in NYC, with pedestrians, maniac drivers, people who walk on the cross-walk so one can't drive through, baby buggies galore, double and triple parking everywhere, tickets for blocking the box, and so on: One would never take one's hand off that record button. I wonder how many people in NYC actually have FSD-b?

Reactions: Dr Doom
Well, that might explain something. I live in Central NJ, drive on combinations of limited access highways, major local roads with multiple lanes and Jersey barriers, and local roads all the time. NJ's congested: Not as bad as NYC, but, yeah.
I'd use the FSD all the time on LAH, quite a bit of the time on the major local roads, and occasionally on the very local roads, if such roads had lines painted. I'd also turn it off when things got dicey, which would happen a lot.

So: Congested area with so-so lane markings? Check.
Use FSD frequently? Check.
Got in with a score of 93. Was wondering why.. the explanation you stated makes some sense.

I grew up in and around NYC. Beyond belief congestion, sure. Lower Manhattan is a rat's nest of roads in every direction, in large part due to its colonial roots. And have been wondering just how FSD would work, at all, in 90%+ of the area. It sure isn't Detroit or LA in there. So, NYC might have some FSD-b people in there, but, wowzers: I hit the little "record" icon every time the FSD-b makes a mistake. Three things:
  • On local roads, I hit that icon 20-odd times per 24 mile trip.
  • On limited access highways, I hit that icon 5-odd times on the same length trip.
  • I'd say that 70% of those hits are not exactly life-threatening, just horribles like getting stuck on a turn. 20% would get people mad at me if I let FSD-b do what it wants. 8% would result in metal bending. And the last couple percent would result in death or injury, like T-boning a car in an intersection or running a red light. After stopping. And in front of a fast-moving car. This last stuff doesn't happen all the time, really, but has happened. And most of the time, when going straight down a road, it does OK.
Put FSD-b in NYC, with pedestrians, maniac drivers, people who walk on the cross-walk so one can't drive through, baby buggies galore, double and triple parking everywhere, tickets for blocking the box, and so on: One would never take one's hand off that record button. I wonder how many people in NYC actually have FSD-b?
yeah if I had to wager, they want the FSD beta to be used nationwide in as many places to get as much cloud data and feedback. They kept talking about how FSD autopilot was cloud learning. And that the feedback would help them update or tweak the software.

I live in North Jersey. just got my camera parts upgraded. I have a 2017 MX so I am going to be probably be at the later pack to be sent the invite. I wasn't using autopilot consistently enough. Since talking to the tech, I am going to use autosteer every day if I can.

I was able to confirm with the service technician that all the cameras report as RCCB BUT the config gateway still reports the car as RCCC. So the service technician will take in the car tomorrow and upload the new config to the car. The FSD beta servers only release to vehicles that report RCCB in the config gateway, it does not check to make sure each camera is RCCB. Although the vehicle should automatically update the config with the new RCCB camera type but it does not always (in my case). So to those who have the RCCB camera upgrade, check with the service center that your config is also updated to reflect RCCB and not just the cameras reporting as RCCB. Will update on this after me appointment visit tmo!

I was able to confirm with the service technician that all the cameras report as RCCB BUT the config gateway still reports the car as RCCC. So the service technician will take in the car tomorrow and upload the new config to the car. The FSD beta servers only release to vehicles that report RCCB in the config gateway, it does not check to make sure each camera is RCCB. Although the vehicle should automatically update the config with the new RCCB camera type but it does not always (in my case). So to those who have the RCCB camera upgrade, check with the service center that your config is also updated to reflect RCCB and not just the cameras reporting as RCCB. Will update on this after me appointment visit tmo!
That doesn't sound consistent with the experiences of others in this group. As far as I've read in the experiences on this thread, the FSD beta does NOT require changing the gateway config (and in fact, changing the gateway config might break your APU).

Reactions: MP3Mike