Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki FSD’s Earliest Adopters Still Waiting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Also, some people have reported success with opening a service visit requesting the camera upgrade without having gotten the invite. (Something to try after opting back in to the FSD Beta?)
yeas, that is what I did back last October or early November and got in within a week. I was not using the safety score before getting cameras on my 2017 MX.

Reactions: Fiddler and Blaine
I requested service again without an invite and got the same canned response... they thank me for my patience but this is really turning me off of Tesla. They could prioritize getting these upgrades done but they don't care about existing customers. What they don't seem to realize is that existing customers turn into repeat customers unless they are treated like crap.

Good afternoon from Tesla Service. We are not able to perform this upgrade at this time. Due to parts limitations, this upgrade is being performed in small VIN batches. Once it is time to schedule for this service, you will receive an invitation in the app. We are not able to perform the upgrade before then and do not have a specific ETA for your VIN's turn at this time. We will now close this ticket. Thank you for your patience.

I requested service again without an invite and got the same canned response... they thank me for my patience but this is really turning me off of Tesla. They could prioritize getting these upgrades done but they don't care about existing customers. What they don't seem to realize is that existing customers turn into repeat customers unless they are treated like crap.
I know it's frustrating, but there really is a global supply chain problem. It's so bad that entire car factories are being shut down, and some manufacturers are stopping production of certain models until they can get supplies back up to speed. Tesla is probably prioritizing manufacturing new cars over retrofitting existing fleets due to the huge demand and wait times for new vehicles.

It really does suck for people still waiting, I empathize greatly.
But Dewg is right - the supply issues globally are still hitting many industries.
I never realized how much a shutdown of any factory could destroy an entire market. My company had a plant in Shanghai shut down for 2 weeks this year when Covid was re-peaking, and just those 2 weeks of no production from the one factory pushed one product back almost an entire year.

Just keep holding out hope! Your turn will come soon. Really hoping everyone else in this thread can experience FSD within the next few months!

On Monday received a cold call from Tesla telling me that now was a great time to trade my S in for a brand new Plaid, ... what a WONDERFUL opportunity to vent!

I know it's frustrating, but there really is a global supply chain problem. It's so bad that entire car factories are being shut down, and some manufacturers are stopping production of certain models until they can get supplies back up to speed. Tesla is probably prioritizing manufacturing new cars over retrofitting existing fleets due to the huge demand and wait times for new vehicles.
Tesla can prioritize anything they want. What they can't do is keep my $$ while providing NOTHING. I want a refund. That's a fair request. Does anyone disagree??

Tesla can prioritize anything they want. What they can't do is keep my $$ while providing NOTHING. I want a refund. That's a fair request. Does anyone disagree??
I understand, but somewhat disagree. Technically, you purchased FSD in advance and are not entitled to receive it until the product is ready to release.
Participating in beta is a different story. You didn't buy beta access. We all bought FSD and voiced our desire to participate. Clearly FSD has made immense progress and full release is imminent now. Is it way later than originally planned? Absolutely. But rest assured you will get what you paid for still. Whether its by access to beta or when it goes to "everyone in North America by the end of 2022"

With Tesla's track record I wouldn't be surprised if release to everyone gets pushed back into 2023, however they've made some insane progress this year so end of '22 is still possible.

I think its unfortunate and unlucky that those who paid years ago and want to participate in the Beta still don't have access.

You've already waited this long, at this point there's hopefully only a few months left anyway. You should still be happy with an amazing car and know that very soon you'll finally get the upgrades for what you paid for!

Tesla is probably prioritizing manufacturing new cars over retrofitting existing fleets due to the huge demand and wait times for new vehicles.
I'm sure you are right. But I disagree wholeheartedly with that business approach - penny wise, pound foolish. I don't understand why Tesla would ever have a repeat customer given their total lack of customer support. But plenty of people do for reasons I don't quite understand, especially on a $100k+ vehicle.

If I were king (and I'm sure you guys are glad I am not), I would find a way to make this work - to the point of prioritizing current customers over future customers. Then again, I'd also let people transfer a previously-purchased FSD to a new purchase as well - that brain-child has got to be costing them quite a bit of cash even short term.

It's a very unique business model of "once I have your money, go away" kind of approach. That's not the kind of company I would like to do business with. Sure, I'll likely keep my car until it dies but it will be a cold day before I purchase another Tesla. I tell the same to anyone who cares so it's not even just repeat business.

I'm sure you are right. But I disagree wholeheartedly with that business approach - penny wise, pound foolish. I don't understand why Tesla would ever have a repeat customer given their total lack of customer support. But plenty of people do for reasons I don't quite understand, especially on a $100k+ vehicle.

If I were king (and I'm sure you guys are glad I am not), I would find a way to make this work - to the point of prioritizing current customers over future customers. Then again, I'd also let people transfer a previously-purchased FSD to a new purchase as well - that brain-child has got to be costing them quite a bit of cash even short term.

It's a very unique business model of "once I have your money, go away" kind of approach. That's not the kind of company I would like to do business with. Sure, I'll likely keep my car until it dies but it will be a cold day before I purchase another Tesla. I tell the same to anyone who cares so it's not even just repeat business.
Name a car company that doesn't operate like that. Maybe one of the hypercar companies?

Mercedes, BMW, Ford, Toyota, VW, etc are all trying to build cars over even doing repairs. Ford has a 6 month long backlog for transmission parts on the F Series, but they are building new trucks.

Also, what other manufacturer can you continuously keep updated and modernized like you can a Tesla? Almost every other car I've ever had what I paid for was what I got for the most part, unless I wanted to buy a $500 map pack.

If it were me, personally, I would rather them serve me, but that's not reality. They want new sales first.

Reactions: scottf200 and Dewg
... unless I wanted to buy a $500 map pack.
The maker of my other BEV offered me a $500 map pack upgrade.

I agree with almost all of this.. Wasn't that long ago you could actually call a SC or get a loaner while getting service ...
Misery loves company. I have a 2016 FSD MX, new MCU2 with Tesla Insurance and 100% Safety Score, and I got the same SC negative response to my camera update request. So ... No FSDB for me! ... However, I love this car. After 6 years, I'm still amazed.

The maker of my other BEV offered me a $500 map pack upgrade.

Misery loves company. I have a 2016 FSD MX, new MCU2 with Tesla Insurance and 100% Safety Score, and I got the same SC negative response to my camera update request. So ... No FSDB for me! ... However, I love this car. After 6 years, I'm still amazed.
I just rented one on Turo. The rear doors give so much room to parents that have to buckle in their kids. Also the drivers side door closes when your foot is applied to the brakes. I wish my Model S had these features. The X is way ahead of its time, beautiful car!

I understand, but somewhat disagree. Technically, you purchased FSD in advance and are not entitled to receive it until the product is ready to release.
Participating in beta is a different story. You didn't buy beta access. We all bought FSD and voiced our desire to participate. Clearly FSD has made immense progress and full release is imminent now. Is it way later than originally planned? Absolutely. But rest assured you will get what you paid for still. Whether its by access to beta or when it goes to "everyone in North America by the end of 2022"

With Tesla's track record I wouldn't be surprised if release to everyone gets pushed back into 2023, however they've made some insane progress this year so end of '22 is still possible.

I think its unfortunate and unlucky that those who paid years ago and want to participate in the Beta still don't have access.

You've already waited this long, at this point there's hopefully only a few months left anyway. You should still be happy with an amazing car and know that very soon you'll finally get the upgrades for what you paid for!
Nothing in this car is ready to be release, everything is a BETA.. even NOA..

So, i finally got an unexpected message saying I was "entitled" to the complimentary camera upgrade.........I was a little bit surprised because about 3 months ago i asked 2 different "in the know" service guys at Tesla and they assured me my vehicle already had the necessary camera hardware already. I tried to explain that based on my June 2017 build date, that I shouldnt have those cameras. So, gullible as I am I said, "Ok, thanks guys. Thats good to know because I have been waiting almost a year for this upgrade and had someone just explained to me my car already was set, I would never have bothered pestering you in the first place........fast forward to today and it looks like my car didnt of course have those cameras on board and now with the invoice inspected, looks like I am scheduled for Wednesday for the upgrade........unbelievable.