Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki FSD’s Earliest Adopters Still Waiting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, i finally got an unexpected message saying I was "entitled" to the complimentary camera upgrade.........I was a little bit surprised because about 3 months ago i asked 2 different "in the know" service guys at Tesla and they assured me my vehicle already had the necessary camera hardware already. I tried to explain that based on my June 2017 build date, that I shouldnt have those cameras. So, gullible as I am I said, "Ok, thanks guys. Thats good to know because I have been waiting almost a year for this upgrade and had someone just explained to me my car already was set, I would never have bothered pestering you in the first place........fast forward to today and it looks like my car didnt of course have those cameras on board and now with the invoice inspected, looks like I am scheduled for Wednesday for the upgrade........unbelievable.
Make sure your triple camera is the right one (listed in Post #1). They screwed mine I had reached out to my Service Advsior, fixed the mistake without accepting his mistake...

Make sure your triple camera is the right one (listed in Post #1). They screwed mine I had reached out to my Service Advsior, fixed the mistake without accepting his mistake...
Yep, I checked. I was following this thread for a while and found all the people who initialy got setup with appointments, only to find out the wrong parts were supplied for installation.....thanks man!!

Reactions: Tesomega
I contacted my 2 local service centers on whether an FSD subscriber could get the complimentary cameras at all and they got back to me. They both had differing answers unfortunately. One said “that’s not a problem, just need to wait for the invite” while the other said FSD subscribers aren’t eligible. When asking if I could just pay for the upgrade they both said that’s not something they offer. Frustrating results, but will keep pushing lol.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP
I contacted my 2 local service centers on whether an FSD subscriber could get the complimentary cameras at all and they got back to me. They both had differing answers unfortunately. One said “that’s not a problem, just need to wait for the invite” while the other said FSD subscribers aren’t eligible. When asking if I could just pay for the upgrade they both said that’s not something they offer. Frustrating results, but will keep pushing lol.
Unfortunately the service center that said just wait is right. They will get to you someday but I believe there is supply issues and they are not going to take parts away from selling a new car. Next issue is if you get cameras they are not letting new people into the program. They have enough testers I believe. My advice is keep the safety score on but don’t worry about it. Then if you get selected for cameras see if they are accepting more people in to program. Then start to play the safety score game. It will only take a month of good driving to get your score back. Remember each day the previous 30th day drops off.

It seems like there is a plan to open FSDBeta to all who have paid/subscribed sometime in the future (within 6 months?). That would not be the time to ask for the cameras. The time to have all the hardware ready to go is now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Topgun66
Unfortunately the service center that said just wait is right. They will get to you someday but I believe there is supply issues and they are not going to take parts away from selling a new car. Next issue is if you get cameras they are not letting new people into the program. They have enough testers I believe. My advice is keep the safety score on but don’t worry about it. Then if you get selected for cameras see if they are accepting more people in to program. Then start to play the safety score game. It will only take a month of good driving to get your score back. Remember each day the previous 30th day drops off.
I’m totally fine with not being let into the program, but the constant $99 a month (usually $199, reduced by EAP) for over a year on the hopes I can just get the hardware to become eligible for said program in the first place is the frustrating part. Just wish there was more clarity into the process or could offer a timeline or anything (speaking as a subscriber). By the time a wide beta roll out happens, I’m not so sure the process to get the cameras would get even easier lol.

Reactions: pilotSteve
You do know that subscribers don't get the hardware upgrades for free, right? I don't know if they even figured out a process yet. Have you put in a request to pay for what you need?
I’ve contacted three service centers total, one said yes subs will get cams, one said no issues just wait for invite, and the other said no, likely just owners. I have the responses via app messaging for what it’s worth. I’ve offered to buy them each time but they said there’s no such way to do that.

Only one user so far in the spreadsheet got invited while being subbed, he responded his timeline in a reply a few comments back (GoofyGoober I believe it was). Basically just got an invite while subbed.

I saw one more user on Reddit say he was successful being subbed and I PMd him and he was nice enough to share the sub status and the invite message. No issues either. Subbed for 5 months and got the complimentary cameras.

So it is happening, hopefully not by mistake. I guess the worst part of all is they won’t let me just buy them. But after a certain point of payments you’d think you’d be eligible ($199 x 6,12, etc.) to get the best benefit of joining FSD beta in the first place and keep the subscription going for them.

I’m willing to wait a few months more or until next Summer before looking up DIY and sourcing from eBay though. It shouldn’t have to be this hard imo. It’s not the supply chain issues that’s frustrating, they seem to not know the answer to it as a sub but also won’t let me buy them so there’s no pathway without dropping $15k (in my case $9k).

I doubt there are many subscribers out there looking to get the cams in the first place though, majority will definitely be owners who have FSD and are trying to get access to the beta via their ownership. So the data points for FSD subscriber legacy owners on HW3/MCU2 but RCCC are limited but somewhat hopeful based on some users’ success. I’m a December 31, 2016 Model X build.

So it is happening, hopefully not by mistake.
It is a mistake according to the Tesla site: Full Self-Driving Computer Installations

If you purchased Full Self-Driving capability and have Autopilot computer 2.0 or 2.5, you are eligible for a complimentary upgrade to FSD computer. Certain early production vehicles may also receive complimentary camera replacements. A complimentary hardware upgrade is not available for Full Self-Driving capability subscriptions; however, you may be eligible to upgrade at your cost.

So that even says upgrades might not be available to purchase.

It is a mistake according to the Tesla site: Full Self-Driving Computer Installations

So that even says upgrades might not be available to purchase.
In that case I’m out of alternatives if I can’t purchase them directly and have to go the DIY/eBay route which I’d prefer to avoid. I got around purchasing HW3 without FSD because MCU2 upgrade comes with HW3 irrespective of FSD status, so the only true obstacle was the cameras. I could keep emailing them over time to see if I could purchase, but I feel like that would annoy them too much. Im certainly not wanting to put forth $9k for cameras via buying FSD. I’d rather get enrolled via subscription as the end game.

I guess a few people lucked out as a subscriber 😅

A complimentary hardware upgrade is not available for Full Self-Driving capability subscriptions; however, you may be eligible to upgrade at your cost.

I had not seen that before. Problem is, Tesla's track record is terrible to simply get the parts. Makes me wonder if you could EBay/salvage the parts somewhere and have Tesla install? I kind of doubt it though.

Just to let some of you know, I purchased my infotainment upgrade last summer which included MCU 2 and FSD computer. I Then subscribed to FSD and got the camera invite 3 months later and the cams installed a month after the invite.
As a subscriber I did get the camera's upgraded for free as expected and have Beta. I did pay $2000 for that infotainment upgrade last summer though for the computer upgrades.

Reactions: HELLAWATTS
Just to let some of you know, I purchased my infotainment upgrade last summer which included MCU 2 and FSD computer. I Then subscribed to FSD and got the camera invite 3 months later and the cams installed a month after the invite.
As a subscriber I did get the camera's upgraded for free as expected and have Beta. I did pay $2000 for that infotainment upgrade last summer though for the computer upgrades.
Its interesting the randomness of how service handles the camera upgradesm. It does make you wonder. I pestered them at least 3 times. I got the MCU2 upgrade almost 2 years ago now.

There is always the option to replace the cameras yourself if you have the ability to source and install them.

I sourced and upgraded my cameras on my own accord and received FSD Beta in June. No issues whatsoever.
how did Tesla become aware that you had the right cameras, I had a helluva time even getting my Tesla service center to even recognize which cameras I had, much less upgraded. Once you upgraded yourself, did you notify Tesla so they could update their records and report the change to your vehicle?

• Helpful
how did Tesla become aware that you had the right cameras, I had a helluva time even getting my Tesla service center to even recognize which cameras I had, much less upgraded. Once you upgraded yourself, did you notify Tesla so they could update their records and report the change to your vehicle?
There is nothing to change, the code automatically identifies the type of camera hooked up. (In fact if you update the configuration to indicate the new cameras you actually break AP.)

Reactions: Durwood101