Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD —> EAP?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With EAP an option once again, how many of you with FSD orders will be “downgrading” to EAP?

How about those of you without FSD “upgrading” to EAP?

I’m picking up my car today and trying to make a decision. I took FSD off yesterday for two reasons: (1) I figured I should buy it with my AmEx at the same price to get points (ha!) (2) with Elon tweeting about EAP I thought that this scenario could happen, which it did. The only risk was price increase but looking at the historical patterns, (a) he usually tweets a price increase ahead of time and (b) the $12k increase was still recent. I guess I got lucky.

So what is everyone doing?

When I bought my 2018 Model 3 I paid $5k for EAP and back then thought it was too expensive but wanted to experience the tech and Autopilot wasn't standard. I decided not to pay an additional $3k for FSD. Then months later FSD was offered at $2k and I got it. Also paid $2k for the Acceleration Boost. Since FSD has climbed to hefty price tag of $12k, I know it seems like EAP at $6k is a good deal but it's not.

However, if you get it make sure your insurance company knows the car has it or if your car gets totaled in an accident, it won't be calculated into the payoff cost. Something to keep in mind.

Depending on your state, putting $12,000 FSD on your car at registration significantly increases the taxes on the purchase, $600 in my state. If you add it after purchase on your Amex or whatever, again, depending on your state, sales tax may or may not be applied to the purchase.
yes, and that is exactly what I did when i bought the car. Lower registration fees.

Reactions: DaBean
And in NJ, EVs have zero sales tax, but adding it after the fact it will be 6.625%, and registration is a flat fee that does not take vehicle price into account, so the decision heavily tilts towards prepurchasing here. It's not quite that simple though...

I paid $8k for FSD, which will have paid for itself vs the $200+tax subscription in 37 months, and I normally keep cars for 3-5 years so that clearly works. The $12k would require 56 months (4.7 years), it's not so cut and dry. The only hope there is that FSD is "solved" in that timeframe and would have significant resale value to it. There's also the risk that the subscription price rises, throwing all the calculation out the window.