Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD “Hidden” festure

helvio

E-TARDIS
Aug 11, 2020
Phoenixville, PA
Hey all,

Recently in one of my Facebook groups someone posted about this feature. I don’t think I’ve seen a manual entry/description of it, but I haven’t read it since 6 months ago so I’m not positive it’s not there.
It’s pretty self explanatory. Same behavior as forward/backward summon. The difference is that you don’t need your phone. Just park, wait 2 seconds then double tap the P button. You’ll be prompted with the screen below. It works when no driver/passengers are detected (haven’t tested back seats). It will stop for obstacles and it works with Homelink although it wasn’t consistent in closing the garage door. YMMV.

Haven’t seen this feature discussed here, so I’m just sharing because I’m sure it will be nice for someone just like it was for me!
B37CAD08-2F9D-4B4C-AC95-260F20B58CD6.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: mark95476

helvio

E-TARDIS
Aug 11, 2020
Phoenixville, PA
Would a mod please rename “festure” to “feature” and append “ - Autopark”?

The title sounds like a clickbait with a typo and that wasn’t the intent. Probably posting from my phone got wonky…

Reactions: hcdavis3

Gwgan

Almost a wagon
Aug 11, 2013
Maine
Isn't that a part of early Summon where the car can enter your garage after exiting the vehicle?

thewishmaster

Jun 4, 2018
California
Yeah, it uses the old-school dumb summon to pull forward or back (combined with the homelink open/close when available). I only remember learning it when a random software update broke it for a bunch of people, otherwise it's definitely not a commonly mentioned feature. It's been available for years now

TresLA

Jul 15, 2018
L.A.
Yes, it’s a nice feature but unfortunately for me, I grab my briefcase from the backseat which doesn’t work with this feature. Double P, open driver door, close driver door, open left rear door to grab briefcase, and that cancels it. Oh well.

thewishmaster

Jun 4, 2018
California
It's been there since at least 2016 as we heard an owner said his car parked on its own (and crashed under a trailer) without his knowledge nor consent (Well, that's what "Double P" for: Consent!)

Also unrelated note, the reason it may have worked in 2016 especially on what looks like an AP1 car per the photo is because dumb summon itself uses a different computer that basically only talks to the parking sensors as input, so you don’t need any fancy AP hardware to execute this maneuver.

bpnine

Apr 17, 2021
MSP
I tried several times to activate this on my 3/2021 MY and could not get the popup (nor any error message). Best I could do was hold down park to get the extra master cylinder parking brake to set.

thewishmaster

Jun 4, 2018
California
That is new to me, thanks for sharing! I hope they tackle that soon. Doesn't seem like the worst issue to deal with. Fairly common and the car has a great roll prevention mechanism.

In the current implementation, they limit torque probably to minimize any potential damage of running into something the sensors missed, thus the inability to deal with inclines. If they haven’t fixed it in years I doubt they would change it soon…

mark95476

Jun 21, 2020
Bay Area CA
Thanks for sharing. I never knew about this feature. 👍

I do all of my parking by myself, but I'll give this a try. I drive with a hitch mounted bike rack and sometimes it sticks out a bit too far when I don't pull in enough.

Hey all,

Recently in one of my Facebook groups someone posted about this feature. I don’t think I’ve seen a manual entry/description of it, but I haven’t read it since 6 months ago so I’m not positive it’s not there.
It’s pretty self explanatory. Same behavior as forward/backward summon. The difference is that you don’t need your phone. Just park, wait 2 seconds then double tap the P button. You’ll be prompted with the screen below. It works when no driver/passengers are detected (haven’t tested back seats). It will stop for obstacles and it works with Homelink although it wasn’t consistent in closing the garage door. YMMV.

Haven’t seen this feature discussed here, so I’m just sharing because I’m sure it will be nice for someone just like it was for me!
View attachment 685160

Reactions: helvio

queenamydala

Jun 8, 2021
Napa, CA
Thanks for sharing. I never knew about this feature. 👍

I do all of my parking by myself, but I'll give this a try. I drive with a hitch mounted bike rack and sometimes it sticks out a bit too far when I don't pull in enough.
In case you didn't know, you can adjust the front bumper distance and other distances under "Customize Summon".

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC