Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD 10.5 Issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I upgraded up to FSD 10.5 three days ago and it seems to have a few bugs. On a long trip yesterday the car constantly wanted to change into the left lane. This happened even if I was going the posted speed with no cars ahead of me in the right lane. In AP there is a setting that you can select to block automatic lane changes. This is not the case in FSD (as far as I can figure out). The second major issue is that FSD is constantly dropping out and going into AP for no apparent reason. It also may take up to 30 min to transition from AP to FSD. Is anyone else experiencing these issues?

I upgraded up to FSD 10.5 three days ago and it seems to have a few bugs. On a long trip yesterday the car constantly wanted to change into the left lane. This happened even if I was going the posted speed with no cars ahead of me in the right lane. In AP there is a setting that you can select to block automatic lane changes. This is not the case in FSD (as far as I can figure out). The second major issue is that FSD is constantly dropping out and going into AP for no apparent reason. It also may take up to 30 min to transition from AP to FSD. Is anyone else experiencing these issues?
My experience has been that 10.5 is a MAJOR improvement. I've been on beta only since 10.3, and the "upgrade" from 10.3 to 10.4 was very disappointing. But then I got 10.5 and WOW! It handles so many issues/places/situations that 10.3/4 would completely **** up. 10.5 gives me renewed hope that we are on a path to true level 5 self driving.

In my opinion 10.5 is a HUGE improvement!!! If this is the result of expanding the beta testing fleet, then the more the better! Let's get some lower safety scores into the program: they are the kinds of situations that the system needs to learn to handle edge cases. Let's rock and roll!! Kudos to Tesla's engineering team!!

When you say that FSD is “dropping out” into regular Autopilot, is that on freeways? If so that is expected and has always been the case afaik. if you are on city streets and seeing that, that does sound odd, and not something I’ve seen yet.

I have had this, but only on a 2 mile bridge near me. The car constantly wants to go to the "faster lane." The bridge has a 40 MPH speed limit and I keep it close to the speed limit, but people commonly go much faster, so being in the high speed lane is a mistake. I did let it go the other day and it eventually got out of the passing lane after 3 or 4 people passed me at high speed on the right. It then wanted to get right back over.

This is the issue I have with 10.5: it always wants to move into the right lane that will be ending in 1 mile or less. The other major issue when I'm exiting the highway it does not slow down to the posted speed limit. For me, this is dangerous as the ice & snow begin to fall in the NorthEast section of the USA.
Also, if I turn off 'navigate on AP' FSD will still follow the current set navigation route.

I have driven 10.5 for almost a week now. My impression is that it is still an experimental software, no way ready for roads and even it is dangerous at certain cases. I have 31 miles drive to my work and 28’out of that is one lane road. At places road is curved and 2 out of 10 times it misbehave on that strech. Some time it take such a sudden turn and correction that it is dangerous. Couple of times it assumed upcoming tragic in your lane and give warning to take control. That alert sound is so scary and so Lou don’t and long. It is so stress that I have stoped using it at that strech. I just used it on strech of road which is well marked and straight, even then it phantom break every now and then.

Bottom line I struggled so much to get 99 and got a product which I can’t use.

Please share your experience

• Funny
Reactions: Phlier and nvx1977
I noticed improvement since I got it in 10.3 over all, but my biggest issues are this (all based on my commute to work which has a good mix of weird conditions):

1- Speed limit drops from 45 to 35, car drops from 50-40 on the IC but the car does not actually slow down very much . A quarter of a mile past the speed limit drop the car is still going 47mph.

2- The phantom braking!!. I mean its not like it slams on the brakes, but no less than 10 times in 3 miles it does a "brake check" kind of thing . When people are behind me they must think I am a real jerk...a lot of the "brake checks" are always in the same place.

3-At the end of an extended merge lane the car just whips into traffic with out any warning or turn signal

4- The spastic wheel movements when its negotiating a turn from a stop.

5-When turning from a stop, the nose of the car always crosses the center line of the road I am turning onto...not by much, but enough that my front tires hit the reflectors in the center of the road.

I mean it does get aggravating but when I remind myself of how remarkable this tech is, I usually end up smiling to myself and saying something reassuring to Suzie (my car) to make up for my swearing her a few seconds prior for doing some "dumb" maneuver...it truly is quite amazing to me.

I also need to remember that this is what I signed up for!

My real complaint is that we dont get any feed back form Tesla. IF they would simply engage with us once in a while with updates of input they are getting from drivers, that would make it all so much more bearable in my opinion. Like if they said "hey,we are getting lots of reports of the phantom braking and are working on it..." that would go a long way . A least to me.
I mean we are helping them correct??? or is it the other way around??? I get confused about this lol

thanks
Neil

I have driven 10.5 for almost a week now. My impression is that it is still an experimental software, no way ready for roads and even it is dangerous at certain cases. I have 31 miles drive to my work and 28’out of that is one lane road. At places road is curved and 2 out of 10 times it misbehave on that strech. Some time it take such a sudden turn and correction that it is dangerous. Couple of times it assumed upcoming tragic in your lane and give warning to take control. That alert sound is so scary and so Lou don’t and long. It is so stress that I have stoped using it at that strech. I just used it on strech of road which is well marked and straight, even then it phantom break every now and then.

Bottom line I struggled so much to get 99 and got a product which I can’t use.

Please share your experience
I understand the frustration, since from videos etc it seemed like it might have been more polished than it’s turned out to be.

But it’s not a product for your use yet - it’s beta software which you’ve volunteered to help test. It’s not dangerous if you always have hands on the wheel and are ready to disengage. Otherwise, best to go back to the publicly released FSD features.

Does anyone understand why sometimes I got enhanced visuals (colored street lines etc..) and sometimes just the back and white one?
(This is FSD beta 10.5, but I was driving manually, and both photos were taken on the same street going in different direction. Also, they were both in the evening with the enhanced visuals taken less an hour later)

Attachments

• 5A67D126-9053-47FB-A7E1-860319A00810.jpeg
    5A67D126-9053-47FB-A7E1-860319A00810.jpeg
    389.9 KB · Views: 59
  • 7CF03F2C-3AF8-4E79-9923-FB100BEEBACC.jpeg
    7CF03F2C-3AF8-4E79-9923-FB100BEEBACC.jpeg
    473.1 KB · Views: 50
Reactions: JulienW
Does anyone understand why sometimes I got enhanced visuals (colored street lines etc..) and sometimes just the back and white one?
(This is FSD beta 10.5, but I was driving manually, and both photos were taken on the same street going in different direction. Also, they were both in the evening with the enhanced visuals taken less an hour later)
Looks like it is incorrectly switching to the AP (highway stack). Hard to tell by your pics but it may think it is on I405 in the 2ed pic. Could be an error in the downloaded Tesla Navigation database.

Just drove from Santa Fe NM back to Boulder CO in Model S with 10.5. First 80 miles things worked pretty well - but after that stated getting Phantom Braking events frequently. Had to turn the Beta off - and also could not use Autopilot. Had to drive 400+ miles withoiut any cruise control. Not Good!

I understand the frustration, since from videos etc it seemed like it might have been more polished than it’s turned out to be.

But it’s not a product for your use yet - it’s beta software which you’ve volunteered to help test. It’s not dangerous if you always have hands on the wheel and are ready to disengage. Otherwise, best to go back to the publicly released FSD features.
This has been my experience:

Latest Feedback/Issues/Concerns;
  1. The fact that the car STILL does not see/read “NO TURN ON RED” signs is a huge safety issue
  2. The fact that it ignores flashing yellow turn lights is annoying at best
  3. PLEASE make it stop swinging wide right for left turns and wide left for right turns. If this is for visions purposes, then you should never have gone pure vision because you clearly do not have enough cameras on the car. For every f-ing creeping right or left turn the car makes, I could easily see all directions and made the turn myself in about a tenth of the time. I can tell the status of oncoming cars even well before a stop sign. WTF?
  4. MAKE THE CAR STAY ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF THE ROAD ON UNMARKED TWO LANE ROADS. Its scary for me and I’m sure its scary too for the other cars it forces to the shoulder.
  5. There is a TON of phantom braking since going to vision
  6. The car does NOT accelerate fast enough coming off of curved on-ramps
  7. The car does not go fast enough ON long curved on-ramps or off-ramps
  8. The car brakes HARD sometimes on the highway with little regard for how close a vehicle is behind them. This is gonna cause some accidents if it hasn’t already.
  9. The ‘moving away from cones’ ‘feature’ is the most annoying f-ing thing ever. Especially since the car can’t tell a cone from it’s ass. Maybe re-implement this feature once the car can accurately tell a cone from a barrel or a post or any of the other million f-ing things it sees as cones except actual cones.

I have FSD 10.5 on a model 3. FSD constantly drops out - after about 5 seconds. In another 15 seconds or so it comes back on then the same process repeats itself. I've never had it stay on for more than a few seconds.