Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD 10.69.2 highway speed limits safety issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
California rules of road says:
Regardless of the posted speed limit, your speed should depend on the number and speed of other vehicles on the road, etc.

Saturday did 35 mile ride to work along North I-5; did prevailing 71mph in lane 2, set nav, then FSD.
Went for 5 miles at that speed, then started slowing down gradually to 65, up to where some leftover construction 55mph signs (construction long done), and rapidly slowed down. Totally wrong thing to do.

Of course I shut it down, went to 70mph and cruise; as everyone else was doing.

Don't recall this for previous rev.
My max is set to default 85mph, although believe new limit is 80mph in FSD.

Anyone know of way to bypass this behaviour ?

Regardless of the posted speed limit, your speed should depend on the number and speed of other vehicles on the road, etc.

Saturday did 35 mile ride to work along North I-5; did prevailing 71mph in lane 2, set nav, then FSD.
Went for 5 miles at that speed, then started slowing down gradually to 65, up to where some leftover construction 55mph signs (construction long done), and rapidly slowed down. Totally wrong thing to do.

You’re understanding that wording the way you Want to. Not what’s real. In California it is illegal to go over the speed limit regardless. If everyone’s going 90, you can still get a ticket for 90. That wording is meant for slower situations. Not faster. If you tried to explain your side to a cop he’d laugh at you and wonder how you got your license.

You’re understanding that wording the way you Want to. Not what’s real. In California it is illegal to go over the speed limit regardless. If everyone’s going 90, you can still get a ticket for 90. That wording is meant for slower situations. Not faster. If you tried to explain your side to a cop he’d laugh at you and wonder how you got your license.
Correct. The California Driver Handbook says the "Basic Speed Law" is that you may never drive faster than is safe for the road conditions. If it's snowing, for example, you may have to driver slower. Every condition listed may require you to driver slower. There are no conditions that allow you to driver faster than the posted speed limit.

If a cop looks the other way while you are speeding to pass another vehicle then you are lucky, you are not allowed to exceed the posted limit to pass other vehicles, or because "everybody else is doing it". I imagine you may need to exceed the speed limit in circumstances like a bad merge point or for extraordinary safety moments, but you are breaking the law to do so.

This may vary in other States/Provinces. Note that Driver Handbooks are not always the same as Laws, but the Laws prevail.

edit: I don't want to sound all high & mighty. I speed too; I think it's important to know you're being bad and not misinterpret the laws.

Last edited:
Reactions: pilotSteve
Correct. The California Driver Handbook says the "Basic Speed Law" is that you may never drive faster than is safe for the road conditions. If it's snowing, for example, you may have to driver slower. Every condition listed may require you to driver slower. There are no conditions that allow you to driver faster than the posted speed limit.

If a cop looks the other way while you are speeding to pass another vehicle then you are lucky, you are not allowed to exceed the posted limit to pass other vehicles, or because "everybody else is doing it". I imagine you may need to exceed the speed limit in circumstances like a bad merge point or for extraordinary safety moments, but you are breaking the law to do so.

This may vary in other States/Provinces. Note that Driver Handbooks are not always the same as Laws, but the Laws prevail.

edit: I don't want to sound all high & mighty. I speed too; I think it's important to know you're being bad and not misinterpret the laws.
Yep. I drive 85-90 regularly “with traffic “. But the guys premise is just false lol.

I had no idea that only a small number of US states have a law allowing for increased speed while passing on a two lane highway.

The US could really use some standardization of traffic laws.

Quick, name the states that require a driver to stop for a school bus with flashing red lights even when on the other side of a divided highway. What if is a narrow median? How about a center turn lane? How about four lane undivided roads? How far from the bus do you have to stop?

I had no idea that only a small number of US states have a law allowing for increased speed while passing on a two lane highway.

The US could really use some standardization of traffic laws.

Quick, name the states that require a driver to stop for a school bus with flashing red lights even when on the other side of a divided highway. What if is a narrow median? How about a center turn lane? How about four lane undivided roads? How far from the bus do you have to stop?
What the heck are you talking about? No one said anything about Passing, which it is still illegal to go faster than the speed limit while doing. And none of those other scenarios have ANYTHING to do with your original premise. And there is standardization. It’s illegal to speed…

Every state has their own traffic laws. However, I think most states are very similar to California in this regard:

Basic Speed Law
California’s Basic Speed Law states that drivers must not exceed a safe speed based off road and weather conditions. This means that driving the speed limit may be considered too fast in relation to your environment. Important factors to pay attention to during your drive include:

General Traffic Flow. Is everyone going the speed limit or are other drivers slowing down because of rush hour or an accident nearby?
Weather. Is it raining or snowing, and you need to slow down for your safety? Or is it sunny with 100% visibility?
Number of Vehicles on the Road. Are there a lot of drivers around you? Is the 65 mph speed limit too fast in comparison to the traffic?
Pedestrians. Are there pedestrians or bicyclists near your lane? Can you switch lanes to give them more space and prioritize safety?
Road Surface. Are you driving on hills or flat surfaces? Are there speed bumps nearby?
Animal Signage. Are there warning signs for animals in the area? Should you be more cautious?
Construction Zones. Is there construction occurring on the freeway or a business district? Are there speed limit signs or detours to your destination?
Nearby Accidents or Cars Pulled Over. Are you on a two-lane road? Is it possible for you to merge over to the other lane?

If you are a commercial driver operating a towing vehicle, bus, or large truck, the Basic Speed Law applies to you as well. There are, however, a few extra conditions to ensure you are driving safely. With a larger vehicle, you should be driving in the right-most or second rightmost lane, depending on the number of lanes on the road or highway you are on. In addition, there is signage about reduced speed limits for commercial vehicles around the state serving as a precaution due to the extra weight your vehicle holds. Wherever you are driving, remember that your vehicle may create large gusts of wind that may impact cars or pedestrians around you.

Prima Facie Speed Law
The Prima Facie Speed Law mandates maximum speed limits in areas where speed limit signages may not be posted but should be known and followed. If you do not abide by this speed law, you are at risk for a citation. For instance, if you are on a street in a neighborhood with no posted speed limits and you are driving 30 mph, you are breaking Prima Facie.

In school zones, residential areas, and business districts, the Prima Facie speed limit is 25 mph. If there are marked signs that say otherwise, follow those. For instance, some school zones may regulate their speed to 15 mph. The basis of the Prima Facie Speed Law is to ensure everyone is driving at a safe speed based on the environment they are around even if there are no marked signs.

The Prima Facie speed for alleys and railroad crossings is 15 mph. This is of utmost importance if you are unable to see oncoming traffic or trains in both directions for 400 ft each side to prevent any harm and keep you safe.

Maximum Speed Law
The Maximum Speed Law may be the most known speed law in California. This law simply states that you cannot exceed the posted speed limit, which applies when you are trying to pass slow drivers. You may not exceed the speed limit or ‘go with the traffic flow’ because it puts others at risk for potential harm.

A common myth with this law is that officers use speed traps to patrol driver’s speeds. A speed trap is a practice where you calculate the time in between each checkpoint and determine the speed the driver was going between the two. With this process, if you were speeding in between the two, you would get a ticket. Speed traps are not legal in the state of California. This does not give individuals a right to speed, however; radar devices are still legal and if caught speeding, you receive a citation.

Minimum Speed Law
Contrary to what some may believe, it is possible to get a citation for driving too slowly. California’s Minimum Speed Law prohibits that drivers be too slow, as this interrupts traffic flow and poses a threat to other drivers. Though it is not common, there are some minimum speed limits posted throughout the state.

Regarding the Basic Speed Law, it is okay to reduce your speed while driving; it is significant reductions that create potential danger. Consider the environmental factors that may impact your speed and remember to always utilize safe driving practices.

There are 4 or 5 states that allow one to exceed the posted limit while passing on a two lane highway. For example, MN:

Subd. 2a.Increased speed limit when passing.​

Notwithstanding subdivision 2, the speed limit is increased by ten miles per hour over the posted speed limit when the driver:
(1) is on a two-lane highway having one lane for each direction of travel;
(2) is on a highway with a posted speed limit that is equal to or higher than 55 miles per hour;
(3) is overtaking and passing another vehicle proceeding in the same direction of travel; and
(4) meets the requirements in section 169.18.

(And yes, this has nothing to do with the original post. If the car sees speed limits signs with a lower limit, it will slow down. If you don't like it, use the accelerator and/or thumb wheel.)

While speeding is still illegal even if everyone is doing it, there's nothing stopping you from rolling the wheel up and setting your speed to anything up to 85MPH. If there is a zone the car sees that lowers that speed, you can override with the accelerator and roll up to the speed you want.

Sometimes my car will start slowing down, and I think it may be a phantom brake, but I check the screen and find it lowered the speed limit, so I just roll it back up. Usually near construction zones. Be careful around construction zones.

There are 4 or 5 states that allow one to exceed the posted limit while passing on a two lane highway. For example, MN:

(And yes, this has nothing to do with the original post. If the car sees speed limits signs with a lower limit, it will slow down. If you don't like it, use the accelerator and/or thumb wheel.)
FSD doesn’t pass. So that doesn’t matter at all. I don’t understand your complaint. Use the scrol wheel.

Responding back to OP's question, is there a bypass (a solution to the issue vs a way to "speed")....

I set the speed limit offset to +10 mph. This way even if the car suddenly drops down to what is see/perceive as "speed limit" to at lowest say, 65 mph - your offset puts you at 75 mph. Which in SoCal Interstate means your are in the slow lane 😬. From there, scroll up/down to find the "appropriate speed for condition".

FSD Beta is limited to 85 mph so a sudden change, say, to 70 mph, still caps you at 85.

Caveat to this, is when you are on FSB Beta on city streets - gotta be (as we should be, always) prepared to scroll down the speed back to 35 mph when +10 offset puts you to 45 mph at change in speed limit sign.

Last edited:
An area that needs improvement, I think, is when FSD slows down on the interstate because a nearby car is going slower. Usually some grey-haired old lady behind the wheel. If I'm going 70 and granny is doing 55, I don't want to slow down because of her driving. 22.20.17 w/FSD beta.