Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD 10.69.25.2 - Driving in Snow

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I live in Boulder Colorado. Just installed 2022.44.30.10 with FSD 10.69.25.2. Generally I've been having good success in most of my drives around Boulder - the occasional disengagment but getting pretty rare these days. There are some specific roads and intersections in the Boulder area that cause problems - one example is a right turn lane where there is a decent pile of snow on the curb in the approach - and FSD seems to always react at the last minute by veering sharply to the left - which is very disconcerting/dangerous.

Today I drove up to Vail to go skiing. We had aprox 6" of snow yesterday. Most of the local roads have been cleared - but still quite a bit of snow on the edges of the roads. FSD has a long way to go in these situations. One of the main issues I encountered today was a 2 lane road (4 lanes in total) where only the center of the road had been cleared - and driven on. FSD however ignored the cleared section of the road - and tried to drive in the RH lane - which was only half cleared. I had to switch off FSD in a number of situations like this. I also found that goign into some corners - where there was a fair about of snow on the road it did not slow down to factor in the snow coverage.

Driving back from Vail on the I70 - particularly the section of road from the top of Vail Pass to Frisco - the RH lane has been badly damaged by trucks using chains. To drive in this lane you need to offset your wheels to avoid the damaged road surface. Unfortunatly the location of this damage is exactly where FSD/Autopilot positions the left wheels of the car. Something will need to be done to avoid damaged road conditions like this.

Pot_Holes_and_Patch_Repairs_on_the_Roads,_Sheffield_-_geograph.org.uk_-_3807006.jpg

"Pot Holes and Patch Repairs on the Roads, Sheffield - geograph.org.uk - 3807006" by Andrew Tryon is licensed under CC BY-SA 2.0.
Admin note: Image added for Blog feed thumbnail.

One of the main issues I encountered today was a 2 lane road (4 lanes in total) where only the center of the road had been cleared - and driven on. FSD however ignored the cleared section of the road - and tried to drive in the RH lane - which was only half cleared. I had to switch off FSD in a number of situations like this.
I also live in CO, and I can picture exactly what you're talking about. A regular person would drive in the cleared part.

But I would have a hard time saying FSD "should" straddle two lanes for a long period, barring something like construction cones or other actual physical blockages of a lane, or so much snow that it's impassable. Aside from that, I feel like you could make a good argument that the "correct" thing to do would indeed be to choose either the RH or LH lane and drive (more slowly) there. A typical driver would probably disengage when this happened - but I think this is still better than having FSD logic say "straddle two lanes if it looks more dry in the middle".

Don’t think they got to the part where they try and train the system on ice or snow. Plenty of that around here. All secondary roads have been ice covered with drifts of snow for a couple months. No notice of that by the car. But it doesn’t know speed limits on these roads either, and I imagine thats a higher priority? I hope?

I live in Boulder Colorado. Just installed 2022.44.30.10 with FSD 10.69.25.2. Generally I've been having good success in most of my drives around Boulder - the occasional disengagment but getting pretty rare these days. There are some specific roads and intersections in the Boulder area that cause problems - one example is a right turn lane where there is a decent pile of snow on the curb in the approach - and FSD seems to always react at the last minute by veering sharply to the left - which is very disconcerting/dangerous.

Today I drove up to Vail to go skiing. We had aprox 6" of snow yesterday. Most of the local roads have been cleared - but still quite a bit of snow on the edges of the roads. FSD has a long way to go in these situations. One of the main issues I encountered today was a 2 lane road (4 lanes in total) where only the center of the road had been cleared - and driven on. FSD however ignored the cleared section of the road - and tried to drive in the RH lane - which was only half cleared. I had to switch off FSD in a number of situations like this. I also found that goign into some corners - where there was a fair about of snow on the road it did not slow down to factor in the snow coverage.

Driving back from Vail on the I70 - particularly the section of road from the top of Vail Pass to Frisco - the RH lane has been badly damaged by trucks using chains. To drive in this lane you need to offset your wheels to avoid the damaged road surface. Unfortunatly the location of this damage is exactly where FSD/Autopilot positions the left wheels of the car. Something will need to be done to avoid damaged road conditions like this.

View attachment 899247
"Pot Holes and Patch Repairs on the Roads, Sheffield - geograph.org.uk - 3807006" by Andrew Tryon is licensed under CC BY-SA 2.0.
Admin note: Image added for Blog feed thumbnail.
That's what most of the roads look like in Oregon cities. So, you have my vote! ;)