Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD 2022.20.17 Coasts forever from a posted 55mph Speed Zone to a posted 35 MPH Speed Zone

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

KurtSanders

'21 MY Red/Black, 20", FSD, Acceleration Boost
Sep 11, 2020
USA
When I activate FSD Beta 2022.20.17 in a posted 55 mph speed zone and it accelerates to that posted speed and then when I encounter a posted 35 mph posted speed zone, the MY does not use regenerative breaking to slow down. The MY recognizes the posted 35 mph speed limit sign and automatically changes MAX Speed to 35 mpg but it freely coasts forever (like regenerative breaking is disabled) subjecting me to a potential speeding ticket. The green line showing regen is barely visible.

When I drive without FSD engaged, regenerative breaking allows for one pedal braking as expected. But the FSD beta mode appears to prefer a 'low regen' in certain posted speed zones?

• Helpful
Reactions: 101dals and T-Mom
The interesting odd behavior when driving under FSD Beta is it uses regenerative breaking to aggressively slow down for corners, stop signs, traffic lights, people, bikes, phantom ghosts, etc, but completely ignores using regenerative breaking for posted speed signage. It is very annoying in cities where speed can frequently go from 50 mph to 35 mph and the car takes almost a 1/2 to 3/4 mile to get to the slower posted speed. Of course, it totally ignores active school posted speed zones.

I'm not sure who at Tesla is coding this weird "coasting" behavior, but I'm sure that Elon will proudly state at some FSD Beta release how his autonomous AI now adheres to posted slower speed signs using regen technology.... 🙃

Tonight I came from a 70mph zone into a 55mph zone and my MSLR barely slowed. A few hundred yards later it dropped to a 50mph zone and by the time that change occurred the car was still doing 68mph and barely slowing. I had to brake pretty hard to get the car to an appropriate speed. I really wish they'd fix this before someone gets a ticket and tries to blame Elon!!! lol.

Exactly!!!! I am baffled that Tesla's FSD Beta engineers have chosen to defeat regenerative braking when on activated FSD... It is so irritating and I have to turn off FSD at each slower posted speed zone and school active hours.

How hard can it be to make FSD beta acknowledge upcoming posted speed zones and school zone active hours! Ugh!

giphy.gif

Reactions: DWtsn
What I have noticed since a few updates ago, I usually set my cruise 5 to 10 over the speed limit using FSD. If I’m in a 65, I’ll set it to 70 or higher then when I pass a 65 speed limit sign, the speed adjust to 65 and starts slowing down. This didn’t happen before the updates. Is anyone else seeing this issue and/or does anyone know a fix for it? Version FSD Beta 10.80.3.1 (2022.36.20 016153657840).

Last edited:
What I have noticed since a few updates ago, I usually set my cruise 5 to 10 over the speed limit using FSD. If I’m in a 65, I’ll set it to 70 or higher then when I pass a 65 speed limit sign, the speed adjust to 65 and starts slowing down. This didn’t happen before the updates. Is anyone else seeing this issue and/or does anyone know a fix for it? Version FSD Beta 10.80.3.1 (2022.36.20 016153657840).

When it detects a speed change (e.g. a speed sign different than the one before it), it will adjust to that speed regardless of what you set it to. For example (in this order):

1 You drive past a 45 MPH speed sign, car sets speed to 45 MPH

2. You then drive past a 55 MPH speed sign, car speeds up to 55 MPH

3. You manually set the speed limit to 65 MPH, car adjusts to the speed you set

4. You drive past a 55 MPH speed sign (same as prior sign), car remains at the 65 MPH you set

5. You drive past a 50 MPH speed sign, car sets speed to 50 MPH and slows down.

It's always been like this with the FSD beta.

• Informative
Reactions: JonB65
The issue is NOT that the FSD speed changes to the posted limit, but that the car under FSD never uses regeneration and coasts for over ½ mile to get from 55mph to 35mph. In that time, many cities have their police sitting there waiting for speeders..

Reactions: DWtsn
The issue is NOT that the FSD speed changes to the posted limit, but that the car under FSD never uses regeneration and coasts for over ½ mile to get from 55mph to 35mph. In that time, many cities have their police sitting there waiting for speeders..
Mine does the same. I've seen multiple times as I drive through rural east Texas towns as the posted speed limits descend from 70 to 60 to 45, etc., that I am quite often 20+mph over the posted speed limit if I don't intervene. This is WELL above what is acceptable by local law enforcement and drivers not having the ability to give/show feedback to Tesla via a button or some other manner is simply unacceptable in my eyes.

Reactions: KurtSanders
Tonight I came from a 70mph zone into a 55mph zone and my MSLR barely slowed. A few hundred yards later it dropped to a 50mph zone and by the time that change occurred the car was still doing 68mph and barely slowing. I had to brake pretty hard to get the car to an appropriate speed. I really wish they'd fix this before someone gets a ticket and tries to blame Elon!!! lol.
The car is probably thinking that "Phantom braking" is occurring!