Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD 2k or 3k for those who purchased EAP for 5k?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
sorry for another autopilot thread. I see conflicting information on twitter. Supposedly those who paid 5k for EAP (like me) can get FSD for 2k. I just logged into my account and the option is available but for 3k. Should I wait until they adjust the price or did I receive incorrect info about it being 2k?

The 2k is per an Elon tweet, but it's really unclear if he mistweeted or whether he's really lowering the price. All this will be clarified in the coming days and weeks so I don't think there's a need to rush into a purchase.

EDIT: Ok, looks like he really means 2k.

Screenshot_20190302-103853.png

And yet the blog on the Tesla website still says $3K:

Upgrading to Autopilot and Full Self-Driving Capability

Which once again reinforces that you can’t really believe anything you see on the corporation’s official web site, but rather have to go sifting through Elon’s tweets to find out what the real facts are. When will this company grow up?

Are you insulting the United States of America and our POTUS? Same crap, different "Corporation."

Wow, everything I learned in math class is wrong.

What the blog says -> "All customers who bought a Tesla before yesterday’s price decrease will be able to buy the Autopilot or Full Self-Driving capability for half of what those features would normally cost after initial purchase."

My math

AP = $4K and half is $2K
FSD = $7K and half is $3.5K

Tesla math
AP = $4K and half is $2K
FSD = $7K and half is $3K

Elon math
AP = $4K and half is $2K
FSD = $7K and half is $2K

They really should have just come up with something, and stuck with it.

Where they simply said

Own Nothing = AP is $2K, and FSD (which includes AP) is $8K
Own EAP = FSD is $3K
Own EAP+FSD = just assurance of when to expect the upgrade to HW3

So for those of us who paid for EAP we need to pay an additional $2k to keep NoA, summon, and autopark?

You already have those features.

But, to have more advanced versions of them you'll have to cough up $2K.

I would consider the $2K as a hardware upgrade cost.

I think Tesla is doing this to try to get as many HW2/HW2.5 people to HW3 so that the whole FSD will be easier. That way they don't have to worry about EAP only owners who have some of the features, but they don't have the hardware really necessary to make those features perform well.

You already have those features.

But, to have more advanced versions of them you'll have to cough up $2K.

I would consider the $2K as a hardware upgrade cost.

So you essentially get the FSD features for free.

I think Tesla is doing this to try to get as many HW2/HW2.5 people to HW3 so that the whole FSD will be easier. That way they don't have to worry about EAP only owners who have some of the features, but they don't have the hardware really necessary to make those features perform well.

I'd say its worth it for HW updates and eventual "FSD" upgrades. HW alone is a big sticking point.

I'd say its worth it for HW updates and eventual "FSD" upgrades. HW alone is a big sticking point.

Yeah, I agree.

Even if one is cynical (like I am) about FSD it's still worth it.

The HW3 features alone will allow for much more accuracy, and speed with the neural networks.

So to me its a no-brainer.

I wouldn't want to be stuck with old HW because Tesla simply isn't going to do active development with older hardware. Any cool new feature will require HW3.

They're throwing a bone to HW2/HW3 owners knowing they need to upgrade.

I'll bite for 2k, unless of course we get a tweet that it will be $1,500 followed by a tweet that it will be $1,000 and another tweet it will be free to all purchasers that bought EAP from February 2018 to April of 2018 but $500 from April to July of 2018 and $800 from July to October 2018 but $1,000 rebate from October to December of 2018 and finally 2019 purchases up to February 28 would be free or charged based on how many days before the deadline EAP/FSD was purchased separate or together but not declined.

I hope this is clear to everybody!