Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD 2k or 3k for those who purchased EAP for 5k?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone have any hard evidence that the $2000 upgrade to FSD includes the hardware upgrade to HW3? (not inferences, deductions, speculations, tarot card readings, or tea leaf pattern revelations)

Evidence such as Elon”s tweet? (it seems like this is the gold standard now)

I would totally go for it if the $2K includes the hardware.

I don’t want to be told in December that I need to pay another $500 or $1000 for the hardware installation in order for my $2K FSD to work properly, accurately or in real time. That would just ruin my holidays.

So for those of us who paid for EAP we need to pay an additional $2k to keep NoA, summon, and autopark?

See dotted line box.

LLg3XrC.jpg

Reactions: johnking
Why is everyone convinced that an AP2.0 can or will ever be converted to HW3? Seems like it is not obvious to do, Hey it's not even possible to get AP2.0 upgraded to AP2.5/MCU2 (extra camera and different specs on cameras)

Many AP2.0 people will be out of their lease by the time FSD would require the new hardware. Moreover the "new" FSD which clearly got downgraded might be able to "run" on AP2.0.

I do not see Tesla ever replacing AP2.0 with new hardware....think of the logistics!
This tweet indicates today's purchased FSD will come with HW3.

Via: Elon Musk on Twitter
TXjAKPs.jpg

This is also the case for me, this morning. Has this been announced as a time limited option? I've been busy driving so I've missed all the details. I might actually do this. $2000 would be a slam dunk, though.
Yeah, I agree, $2K upgrade that will come with new hardware is a slam dunk. I was in that batch of model S owners that enabled me to get my Model 3 early in 2018. At the time I bought EAP but didn't want to spend the additional $3K for FSD (knowing fully well that to add it later would be $4K). To be able to get it now for $2K and with new hardware seems like a good deal to me. Sorry, I just don't understand all the haters and the bitchers.

Yeah, I agree, $2K upgrade that will come with new hardware is a slam dunk. I was in that batch of model S owners that enabled me to get my Model 3 early in 2018. At the time I bought EAP but didn't want to spend the additional $3K for FSD (knowing fully well that to add it later would be $4K). To be able to get it now for $2K and with new hardware seems like a good deal to me. Sorry, I just don't understand all the haters and the bitchers.

This new hardware they are speaking of. Is this a simple chip swap? Different cameras? New radar? Does anyone know what the actual hardware entails?

• Informative
Reactions: MelaniainLA
Maybe simple for AP2.5 but AP2.0 would need extra camera and wiring at least....hey they can't even manage to upgrade AP2.0 to AP2.5 (too much involved)

I’m curious to know what will be involved to get 2.5 up to 3.0. If it’s a simple chip swap I do feel like they could give us 2018 EAP owners an upgrade to FSD at cost for the upgrade to 3.0. Cost to install the new chip. At $2k I think I’ll wait to see if the price continues to drop since that seems to be what happens.

So people who didn’t buy anything are rewarded to purchased FSD for total of $5k now. But those of us who bought EAP now are penalized and have to pay $7k total to get FSD. F U Tesla!

Exactly. Tesla needs to make this right by adding FSD to those who already spent 5k on autopilot when they bought the car in 2018.

Elon / Tesla please listen. This issue will not go away without resolution.

Folks reading this, please call and write Tesla. Tesla will have to listen if enough of us bring this issue to them.

Reactions: MelaniainLA
I’m curious to know what will be involved to get 2.5 up to 3.0. If it’s a simple chip swap I do feel like they could give us 2018 EAP owners an upgrade to FSD at cost for the upgrade to 3.0. Cost to install the new chip. At $2k I think I’ll wait to see if the price continues to drop since that seems to be what happens.
It won't be just "a chip" to get anything like Musk is talking about, as it sounded like a substantial computer architecture change. Far more likely it'll be a full circuitboard swap if you have a Model 3, which implies AP 2.5. My understanding is it'll only be one board, as all the Autopilot computing is isolated to a single board module, that plugs into their backplane/bus?

For the older AP 2.0 Model S and X they might need to do hardware upgrades for some of the sensors, though.