Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD 2k or 3k for those who purchased EAP for 5k?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Pretender.

Let's Dive Into Recent Changes To Tesla Autopilot Feature Availability
Table-v6-dear-god-563x1024.png

This graph does not show the price information for previous Tesla owners (prior to Feb 27th) who did not buy AP or did not upgrade to FSD. Tesla blog states this for them: "Any customer who bought a Tesla prior to this week’s price adjustment will be able to upgrade to Autopilot for $2,000 or Full Self-Driving capability for an additional $3,000 (those who previously purchased Enhanced Autopilot and want to upgrade to Full-Self Driving capability only pay $2,000)."
Link: Upgrading to Autopilot and Full Self-Driving Capability

It won't be just "a chip" to get anything like Musk is talking about, as it sounded like a substantial computer architecture change. Far more likely it'll be a full circuitboard swap if you have a Model 3, which implies AP 2.5. My understanding is it'll only be one board, as all the Autopilot computing is isolated to a single board module, that plugs into their backplane/bus?

For the older AP 2.0 Model S and X they might need to do hardware upgrades for some of the sensors, though.

I wonder what Tesla's cost to perform this circuitboard swap would be? Personally I feel like what would be fair to those of us who purchased EAP in 2018 would be to offer FSD at Tesla's cost to upgrade us to 3.0. Thats why I was trying to get an idea of what is actually necessary to upgrade from 2.5 to 3.0. Although, weren't we sold our cars with the advertisement that they all come with the hardware to be fully self driving?

• Informative
Reactions: MelaniainLA
This graph does not show the price information for previous Tesla owners (prior to Feb 27th) who did not buy AP or did not upgrade to FSD. Tesla blog states this for them: "Any customer who bought a Tesla prior to this week’s price adjustment will be able to upgrade to Autopilot for $2,000 or Full Self-Driving capability for an additional $3,000 (those who previously purchased Enhanced Autopilot and want to upgrade to Full-Self Driving capability only pay $2,000)."
Link: Upgrading to Autopilot and Full Self-Driving Capability

True. The EAP/Enhanced AutoPilot purchasers were in a hybrid state (dotted box) and had some newly-defined-FSD features so they are getting a deal at $2K. This is a good deal for one of my family members. Traffic light and stop sign recognition will be useful! NoA-City will be interesting to see how it works/benefits.

8zYtE6c.jpg

Reactions: johnking
I wonder what Tesla's cost to perform this circuitboard swap would be? Personally I feel like what would be fair to those of us who purchased EAP in 2018 would be to offer FSD at Tesla's cost to upgrade us to 3.0. Thats why I was trying to get an idea of what is actually necessary to upgrade from 2.5 to 3.0. Although, weren't we sold our cars with the advertisement that they all come with the hardware to be fully self driving?
The sensors is what Tesla was talking about.

I don't have the precise wording available to go through it but that's what my take-away always was. It was abundantly clear to me that the processing capability as shipped wasn't going to be able to handle constructing 3D models on the surroundings using stereographic camera input.

The processing board upgrade I'd expect to be minimum $400 internal cost for Tesla at mass-market scale, and another $50-$70 to install. That's just a guess. A $2000 price tag strikes me as pretty reasonable for hardware+software when including a commitment to continue adding features.

Folks that already paid $5k for Enhanced AP on their Model 3s NEED FSD added just like the folks who bought Model 3s on the SAME DAY in 2018 that can buy AP/FSD today for $5k. Its the right thing to do, plain and simple.

Please call, e-mail and tweet Tesla. They will listen, they always do when they hear from enough of us.

Reactions: des16
Compared to the traditional car model giving options after the car was sold is quite extraordinary and generous. You buy a luxury BMW, Mercedes or Audi you do not get any upgrades ever. Maybe a fix due to a recall mandated by the regulator.
That Tesla is giving new features for an old model year is great.

Reactions: is2scooby
Folks that already paid $5k for Enhanced AP on their Model 3s NEED FSD added just like the folks who bought Model 3s on the SAME DAY in 2018 that can buy AP/FSD today for $5k. Its the right thing to do, plain and simple.

Please call, e-mail and tweet Tesla. They will listen, they always do when they hear from enough of us.
Agree. I keep calling them. I referred my next door neighbor who go their car 1 week after mine. she declined EAP. Now she upgrades for $5000. It will cost me $7000. Outrageous.

Agree. I keep calling them. I referred my next door neighbor who go their car 1 week after mine. she declined EAP. Now she upgrades for $5000. It will cost me $7000. Outrageous.

Frankly, if you paid $5 upfront for EAP and had to suffer for up to 2.5 years of buggy/imperfect/nonexistent (depending on when you bought) EAP features until now, they really should do the right thing and give FSD free as it's $5k for FSD for people who declined ANY features. Moreover, if you paid $3k (plus tax and higher annual vehicle registration/license) for FSD upfront (again as long as 2.5 years ago, STILL with zero features released on the original FSD feature set), they should either refund the FSD $ as a thank you to those who advanced them so much $ to develop something that has yet to materialize OR give a credit equal to the $3k on Tesla service, extended warranty, accessories, or even a future Tesla purchase. SOMETHING.