Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD $2k price increase Monday 10/26

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Maaz

Oct 6, 2014
Torrance
E270C125-69AC-46F0-B22C-69BA29D68990.jpeg

oh boy, shareholders will be in for a real treat after Q4, everything seems to fall into place.

- Massive Free Cash Flows
- Higher Margins
- Supervised FSD (going unsupervised end of 2021??)
- Quick factory build outs in Shanghai, Berlin and Austin

I could go on...
$2B deferred tax revenue.
FSD deferred revenue
FSD increased take rate
FSD tons of upgrades
S&P 500

Gonna be a good quarter for longs =)

Serious question. The FSD beta videos look really impressive. I understand the benefit for Uber like taxis, but for the average person is FSD really worth $10K?

I love my advanced autopilot on road trips and in traffic jams, but even then the $5k price I paid for it seems steep. Not sure I would pay $5k again when mostly I want lane keep and cruise control.

$10k so my car drives itself around town? Maybe on a $100k Model X (10% add on), but I definitely wouldn't be paying that on a Model 3 or Y (20-25% add on). That's a huge price to pay for automation of something we all do ourselves today. I understand the potential safety benefits long term, but that's still a hard sell.

Honestly I like driving, that's a big part of the enjoyment of these cars. I don't really want to give that up.

Serious question. The FSD beta videos look really impressive. I understand the benefit for Uber like taxis, but for the average person is FSD really worth $10K?

I love my advanced autopilot on road trips and in traffic jams, but even then the $5k price I paid for it seems steep. Not sure I would pay $5k again when mostly I want lane keep and cruise control.

$10k so my car drives itself around town? Maybe on a $100k Model X (10% add on), but I definitely wouldn't be paying that on a Model 3 or Y (20-25% add on). That's a huge price to pay for automation of something we all do ourselves today. I understand the potential safety benefits long term, but that's still a hard sell.

Honestly I like driving, that's a big part of the enjoyment of these cars. I don't really want to give that up.

Agreed. I'm dying to have FSD mainly for the novelty factor. I drive all of 10 miles one way to work with almost 0 traffic and it's already mostly on autopilot on the highway now. I can't justify paying 8-10k for that.

Your lacking imagination, if FSD ever becomes real I could drive to work, send the car to my parents so they can do their shopping, the car than go to school to pick up my daughter, drive back to me to bring home from work. How about going shopping, no more need to worry about parking, just get dropped off, send the car away, than summon it when your done. What about going out for some drinks? No more need for taxis rides home etc etc.

If our Tesla had FSD we can easily drop down to one car, the potential to have a fully chauffeured drop off service on tap 24/7 at pretty much zero cost is madness, and will change personal transportation.

Your lacking imagination, if FSD ever becomes real I could drive to work, send the car to my parents so they can do their shopping, the car than go to school to pick up my daughter, drive back to me to bring home from work. How about going shopping, no more need to worry about parking, just get dropped off, send the car away, than summon it when your done. What about going out for some drinks? No more need for taxis rides home etc etc.

If our Tesla had FSD we can easily drop down to one car, the potential to have a fully chauffeured drop off service on tap 24/7 at pretty much zero cost is madness, and will change personal transportation.

The Killer Feature:

Alcohol! ;-)

• Funny
Reactions: phantasms

Those are some good examples. I can see a lot of value in that for many people, not so much for me personally. I guess my biggest problem is more around paying $10k on a car today that may never see that level of automation during your ownership. I agree FSD will get to that point in the future, but at the current rate of progress it still seems like a really big bet to pay $10k today.

I'm just curious how many people will pay $10k on a new Tesla for a feature that may or may not provide a benefit during their ownership.

Edit: One other thought. If there are millions of robotaxis driving around wouldn't it be much cheaper and easier to simply call one of those for the times you need someone to be picked up or taken home from the bar? Keep a "normal" car for personal use, and the use a robotaxi for those other times?

Last edited:
I think raising the price now with local driving in early beta will reduce the number of purchases of FSD. I suspect a lot of people will be scared of local FSD for a while. Heck I'm amazed how many people won't use NOA at all because of the occasional phantom braking event.
My guess is we'll see a price reduction / discount in a couple months... Or perhaps we'll see a separation of the highway features from the city features like we saw recently with the temporary reintroduction of enhanced autopilot option.

Those are some good examples. I can see a lot of value in that for many people, not so much for me personally. I guess my biggest problem is more around paying $10k on a car today that may never see that level of automation during your ownership. I agree FSD will get to that point in the future, but at the current rate of progress it still seems like a really big bet to pay $10k today.

I'm just curious how many people will pay $10k on a new Tesla for a feature that may or may not provide a benefit during their ownership.

Edit: One other thought. If there are millions of robotaxis driving around wouldn't it be much cheaper and easier to simply call one of those for the times you need someone to be picked up or taken home from the bar? Keep a "normal" car for personal use, and the use a robotaxi for those other times?

Yes per Tony Seba, maybe >50% of the cars will still be personally owned BUT >90% of miles driven will be in robotaxis.

• Funny
Reactions: cdswm3
I think raising the price now with local driving in early beta will reduce the number of purchases of FSD. I suspect a lot of people will be scared of local FSD for a while. Heck I'm amazed how many people won't use NOA at all because of the occasional phantom braking event.
My guess is we'll see a price reduction / discount in a couple months... Or perhaps we'll see a separation of the highway features from the city features like we saw recently with the temporary reintroduction of enhanced autopilot option.
Said every TSLA holder that wanted to "wait" to buy in again in the $200's (pre split).

Reactions: Nakk

Here's what you do. I'm in the same boat. I LOVE to drive and work from home. I've got a Y and a 2018 Model 3 both with AP. I've got the cash for FSD and, while now it's a novelty, I'd love to secure it for the future.

Preorder some other cars!

I've got 2 Cybertrucks ordered with $7K FSD locked in. Also I've got a Plaid S on order with $8k FSD locked in. It'll be, sadly, at least a year till these hit the road and then I can decide [probably yes] do I want the FSD. I likely won't get the Plaid S as I'm looking to get the Roadster. I wish I could lock in FSD on that as I'll have that thing for a long time.

Wife just gone out to the shops, what if we could just call up the store and tell them what we want, send the car to pick up the shopping and bring it home.....

Our cars spend most of their time sat there doing nothing at all, if FSD makes them more productive it would be fantastic.

Reactions: mikes_fsd
I do have some hesitation of the 10k price myself, though I've locked in my FSD a while back so I don't have as much skin in the game. Such improvements by themselves should drive up more purchases of FSD.

That being said I have a feeling that they could always do sales every now and then if they really needed to, or to drop the price elsewhere (manufacturing, etc). Could also re-add the save money by buying FSD at purchase.

If you sell the car does FSD transfer to the new owner? And if so shouldn’t that jack up the resale price? If when you sell FSD is say $12000 and you only paid $8000 you should be able to recoup that price. FSD shouldn’t depreciate, technically it would appreciate. Not sure how that all works, I have an order placed for a MY so I’m a noob.

If you sell the car does FSD transfer to the new owner? And if so shouldn’t that jack up the resale price? If when you sell FSD is say $12000 and you only paid $8000 you should be able to recoup that price. FSD shouldn’t depreciate, technically it would appreciate. Not sure how that all works, I have an order placed for a MY so I’m a noob.

yes it transfers to the next owner in a private sale.

A lot of FOMO and confirmation bias going on here, not a lot of substance. How high do you think the subscription price of a driver service can go? It cannot go as high as the cost of an Uber ride, because Uber ride also includes the car. If you do a first principles reverse calculation from that, $8K+ will take several years to pay back to offset future subscription price.

Personally I think it's ridiculous to up the price when the feature is not in wide release. Why should people pay 2k more and then not be able to use the new feature which caused the price increase? The price should only go up when the new feature is generally available or about to be.