Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD - 2k Price Jump 10.26.20

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Given the Covid times, where more people are working from home than ever, Tesla ought to be discounting FSD. I went from driving 125 miles per day to less than that per month. No way I'm ponying up $10K for a car that isn't moving.

I would try the subscription, though, just for the novelty of FSD. I think the reason that hasn't been rolled out yet is that the high price tag for buying into FSD is a commitment by the owner. Casual subscribers are likely to get quickly frustrated with FSD's limitations and cancel. But the people who paid that substantial premium have no choice but to stick with it and try to make it work. They're all in with no way out. I suspect when the subscriptions are available, they won't be month-to-month. The churn rate would be enormous. I expect perhaps annual subscriptions or a base fee plus a per-mile fee for usage.

Given the Covid times, where more people are working from home than ever, Tesla ought to be discounting FSD. I went from driving 125 miles per day to less than that per month. No way I'm ponying up $10K for a car that isn't moving.

I would try the subscription, though, just for the novelty of FSD. I think the reason that hasn't been rolled out yet is that the high price tag for buying into FSD is a commitment by the owner. Casual subscribers are likely to get quickly frustrated with FSD's limitations and cancel. But the people who paid that substantial premium have no choice but to stick with it and try to make it work. They're all in with no way out. I suspect when the subscriptions are available, they won't be month-to-month. The churn rate would be enormous. I expect perhaps annual subscriptions or a base fee plus a per-mile fee for usage.

Elon specifically said "monthly rentals". Hopefully they truly are monthly.

The real question I have is how much do they expect they can charge. I think 10k is on the very edge of where I would buy it. Even if it fully functional driving car I would question paying more then 10k.

We are years away from where this can pickup your kids and be a robotaxi. To be honest most of the cars made today will be in the junkyard before we are even close to this happening and legal.

I expect we will see the car steer itself fairly soon and paying 10k for that is a lot but would probaly the most I would ever pay for it.

Yep, discourage indeed. I cancelled a model y order a day after the increase announcement. I smell a serious marketing ploy here. Elon is always underestimated in this area. The rewrite may be fantastic but after two years of ownership I will believe it when I drive it or should I say it drives me.

• Funny
Reactions: mikes_fsd

I’m also working from home and not getting the same miles from my commute but I’m also not spending money vacationing which is how I paid for FSD. Paradoxically I’ve actually driven more since the few trips I’ve taken have been by car instead of plane.

"Buy the stock". That's all you need to know right there.

So you are suggesting that I buy $8,000 of Tesla stock and by the time FSD is really ready for the masses I can sell the stock buy the FSD and pocket my original $8,000?

Why didn't you suggest that in 2016 when I spent $6000 for FSD instead of stock. It could now sell it, for $54,800.

But on the other hand I have had fun watching my MS JULIA learn to drive. Her learning has slowed way down since since the new computer was released. She is waiting for a brain transplant - and apparently Tesla doesn't have a matching donor.

• Funny
Reactions: AdamMacDon
Do you think Tesla will ever make more money selling the FullSelfDriving software, or will profits in the vehicle sector of Tesla more likely always come From from Selling physical vehicles?

and then will Making robotaxi’s and employing them directly, make more than selling cars?

That's a good question. Currently Tesla has a substantial lead in terms of self driving data and real world use towards autonomy. Also, their software is proprietary so they really can set prices like this as long as they can keep people interested in their cars or until competition catches up.

If you take Apple's business model for example, they have propriety software (MacOS, iOS, etc) but they don't charge a dime for it. They make their money by locking people into their eco system to ensure MacBooks, iPads and iPhones sales every couple of years. So maybe one day Tesla's eco system will be something like a seamless integration to self-driving cars, robs-taxis, supercharging, boring tunnels, power wall, and one way flights to MARS!

troll.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: Daniel in SD
I would pay $2,000 for FSD even though it's not likely to work properly for sometime yet and is not legal here in Australia, the current cruise standard on Mod3l 3 works well, it does however cause serious skipping of heartbeat when driving at 110kph and it sees a shadow on road as an obstacle and almost slams everyone into the windscreen, also cars cutting across at distance it does the same thing, it's a real pain making me turn it off a lot and take control.
I would never pay the recently announced 10k for FSD for the following reasons: 1 I simply don't do the freeway mileage to warrant it, 2 I actually enjoy being IN CONTROL at least of my car, 3 nobody can tell me how long it will be before FSD is legal in Australia or anywhere for that matter. 4 Tesla is receiving all this data from us all, the whole fleet not just those wanting FSD and not rewarding us for this participation so why is he pushing the price higher with every announcement, very disappointed in that.
5 BETA I suspect FSD will not function as we expect or desire for a fair time yet? maybe years so being asked to stump up !0k at this moment maybe more later who knows is to say the least a greedy way of helping fund the other projects, it's like a free loan for years no repayments and no interest paid, I know we paid couple of hundred to reserve our cars and they had those deposits a couple of years but that's not thousands of dollars tied up in a promise, that's my feeling on FSD.
But while on subject of Australia, Tesla seriously need to get charging network built, it seems it has stalled so long trips require careful planning.

I'm hopeful simple numbers will mean that in say five years there will be so many Tesla's on road without FSD that rewarding drivers enthusiasts supporters of Tesla will be a commonsense decision and offer FSD as a freeby lol say $2000 which might easily earn them several millions for zero additional outlay since these owners were NEVER going to pay stupid numbers for a small piece of functionality.

• Love
Reactions: AdamMacDon
I would pay $2,000 for FSD even though it's not likely to work properly for sometime yet and is not legal here in Australia, the current cruise standard on Mod3l 3 works well, it does however cause serious skipping of heartbeat when driving at 110kph and it sees a shadow on road as an obstacle and almost slams everyone into the windscreen, also cars cutting across at distance it does the same thing, it's a real pain making me turn it off a lot and take control.
I would never pay the recently announced 10k for FSD for the following reasons: 1 I simply don't do the freeway mileage to warrant it, 2 I actually enjoy being IN CONTROL at least of my car, 3 nobody can tell me how long it will be before FSD is legal in Australia or anywhere for that matter. 4 Tesla is receiving all this data from us all, the whole fleet not just those wanting FSD and not rewarding us for this participation so why is he pushing the price higher with every announcement, very disappointed in that.
5 BETA I suspect FSD will not function as we expect or desire for a fair time yet? maybe years so being asked to stump up !0k at this moment maybe more later who knows is to say the least a greedy way of helping fund the other projects, it's like a free loan for years no repayments and no interest paid, I know we paid couple of hundred to reserve our cars and they had those deposits a couple of years but that's not thousands of dollars tied up in a promise, that's my feeling on FSD.
But while on subject of Australia, Tesla seriously need to get charging network built, it seems it has stalled so long trips require careful planning.

I'm hopeful simple numbers will mean that in say five years there will be so many Tesla's on road without FSD that rewarding drivers enthusiasts supporters of Tesla will be a commonsense decision and offer FSD as a freeby lol say $2000 which might easily earn them several millions for zero additional outlay since these owners were NEVER going to pay stupid numbers for a small piece of functionality.
Well said!

So you are suggesting that I buy $8,000 of Tesla stock and by the time FSD is really ready for the masses I can sell the stock buy the FSD and pocket my original $8,000?

Why didn't you suggest that in 2016 when I spent $6000 for FSD instead of stock. It could now sell it, for $54,800.

But on the other hand I have had fun watching my MS JULIA learn to drive. Her learning has slowed way down since since the new computer was released. She is waiting for a brain transplant - and apparently Tesla doesn't have a matching donor.

No. I was replying to this nonsense below . If the product was crap, the stock price wouldn't be where it is.

More stupidity and market ignorance from the Space Cadet CEO. Charging $10,000 for features that don't work, and will likely never work as promised, is what used to be called FRAUD. Build quality sucks. Service sucks (worst in the industry now). Software sucks, filled with bugs and removed functionality. All because the CEO sucks.

Tesla still doesn't know how to build a car after 12 years. This situation is no longer excusable. Buy the stock and skip the car.

• Disagree
Reactions: lowtek and Hrtme
More stupidity and market ignorance from the Space Cadet CEO. Charging $10,000 for features that don't work, and will likely never work as promised, is what used to be called FRAUD. Build quality sucks. Service sucks (worst in the industry now). Software sucks, filled with bugs and removed functionality. All because the CEO sucks.

Tesla still doesn't know how to build a car after 12 years. This situation is no longer excusable. Buy the stock and skip the car.

and this from a Realtor - - glorified salesmen who makes a living in a market that is as fraught with selective truths and manipulations to get a sale.

• Funny