Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD 9.0 Beta-

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After spending $8,000 for FSD, should I be concerned that my 2020 M3 FSD hardware will either be insufficient or obsolete to support V9.0 beta by the time it's released?

I am not expert but by following HW1 then HW2 then HW3 since 2014, my speculations:

Short answer is no.

Long answer is yes, your car is just like a high tech item, it is obsolete eventually but the question is when.

I suspect that as long as FSD system will still be L2 (driver is responsible for a safe drive and manufacturers are not liable when the system fails to avoid an accident), then your HW3 should be fine.

However, when it moves to a higher level of automation L3 and above to a maximum of L5 or robotaxis (manufacturers are responsible if the system fails to avoid an accident), I think it might need more powerful hardware to cope with intensive calculation.

Reactions: StarHunter
Elon said that anyone who purchased FSD will get whatever hardware is needed to make it work at no additional cost. If more advanced FSD functionality can't be implemented with HW3, then Tesla will have to make it right, one way or another.

I want you to be my lawyer but in reality, I doubt Tesla would upgrade for free so we'll get robotaxi capability (FSD) someday.

It's true that Tesla didn't charge me a single cent to upgrade from HW2 to HW3 but in reality, I still had to pay $2,500 for MCU1 to MCU2.

It's possible to keep MCU1 and not paying $2,500 but it's almost impossible because the HW3 would consume too much calculation that older MCU1 couldn't cope with such a massive requirement.

I want you to be my lawyer but in reality, I doubt Tesla would upgrade for free so we'll get robotaxi capability (FSD) someday.

It's true that Tesla didn't charge me a single cent to upgrade from HW2 to HW3 but in reality, I still had to pay $2,500 for MCU1 to MCU2.

It's possible to keep MCU1 and not paying $2,500 but it's almost impossible because the HW3 would consume too much calculation that older MCU1 couldn't cope with such a massive requirement.

If future versions of FSD can’t be made to work with MCU1, in my opinion Tesla will need to do something for those owners to avoid a huge PR backlash, especially given all the scrutiny on what Elon promised vs. what he delivered (so far). I’m not saying Tesla will update everyone’s hardware, but I’ll think they’ll have to do something to make it right with affected owners. The same applies if HW3 turns out to be insufficient.

Elon said that anyone who purchased FSD will get whatever hardware is needed to make it work at no additional cost. If more advanced FSD functionality can't be implemented with HW3, then Tesla will have to make it right, one way or another.

Not. I was told for several years by Tesla fanboys that "Elon said..." THEN....the marketing scam known as "INFOTAINMENT UPGRADE" cost me many $$$$ just to get my cameras from 2.5 to 3.0 usefulness. The "Elon said" argument does not hold water versus Tesla marketing and need to generate $$$$$$$$$$$$$

• Informative
Reactions: HumanInput
Not. I was told for several years by Tesla fanboys that "Elon said..." THEN....the marketing scam known as "INFOTAINMENT UPGRADE" cost me many $$$$ just to get my cameras from 2.5 to 3.0 usefulness. The "Elon said" argument does not hold water versus Tesla marketing and need to generate $$$$$$$$$$$$$
That is a lot of anger ... is it really worth it? I think you can recoup all your $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ since the used Tesla market right now is totally bananas.
Probably a good time to part with the brand, you seem really affected by what "Elon said" and such.

If future versions of FSD can’t be made to work with MCU1, in my opinion Tesla will need to do something for those owners to avoid a huge PR backlash, especially given all the scrutiny on what Elon promised vs. what he delivered (so far). I’m not saying Tesla will update everyone’s hardware, but I’ll think they’ll have to do something to make it right with affected owners. The same applies if HW3 turns out to be insufficient.
They never need to do this, if they don't submit their systems to regulatory approval... so no worries.!

doubt it. My guess is future fsd versions will "work and be within spec" on older hardware, but will by no means be an ideal implementation. like installing the latest ios on an iphone 5. Or fsd only working under perfect conditions.

Reactions: Mobster
Autosteer city doesn't really interest me at all so I wouldn't mind should FSD be pushed out to HW4. Since I paid for FSD I'm entitled to a "free" upgrade.

Tesla's entertainment/gaming system is already very good and MS & MX are getting an integrated AAA gaming system imminently. :)

That is a lot of anger ... is it really worth it? I think you can recoup all your $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ since the used Tesla market right now is totally bananas.
Probably a good time to part with the brand, you seem really affected by what "Elon said" and such.

Ouch. That's going to leave a mark...y'know ...being psychoanalyzed and all. (a lot of anger 😆) Since I had my first Tesla in 2013 and was called an "early adopter" I guess I did listen to Elon.....but not so affected as all that. One learns quickly that Elon says a lot of things. Some happen. Some don't. No doubt he is an incredibly accomplished individual that deserves to be listened to.

"part with the brand"...yep..that is the fanboy stuff I referred to .."luv it or git". Nonsense. My point still stands concerning all the hype about "Elon says" FSD buyers will be made whole. Not gonna happen. No free hardware in the future...and I am not expecting any....

• Funny
Reactions: mikes_fsd