Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD, a massive fail for TESLA! What secret mantra have I missed?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
M

M229984

You’ve got to be kidding! This is an unbelievable black eye for the whole concept of FSD IN THE TESLA CULT! FSD is the worst performing unsafe phantom breaking experience I THOUGHT I’DE NEVER HAVE!

Unless i missed some secret activation mantra, Without 5 megapixel cameras and real radar FSD iS an accident waiting to happen. I bought a months subscription and it would only activate in beta mode. I hope I’m making a mistake in activation, if not, FSD is a big no-op for customers and a big hustle by TESLA.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WITH FACT I’M IMAGINING THINGS/

I'll be the first one to say I don't trust FSD in its current capacity.

That being said if you just activated it, you unlikely have the actual FSD Beta and more the current EAP/FSD offering, which isn't that great, but I really haven't noticed a difference between Tesla Vision (no radar) and radar assisted FSD/AP. It's also passable if you baby it. I keep speed based lane changes disabled, but keep auto lane change on as I find it better to let the car know when I think it's safe to switch lanes.

Reactions: house9
activate in beta mode.
You must have requested the beta.
Can I request Full Self-Driving Beta if I am subscribed to Tesla Full Self-Driving capabilities?
Yes. As long as you have the option to request Full Self-Driving Beta from your vehicle’s touchscreen, you are eligible to enroll regardless of whether you have purchased Tesla Full-Self Driving capabilities with a one-time payment or subscription. To view if you have access to Full Self-Driving Beta, select ‘Controls’ > ‘Autopilot’ > ‘Request Full Self-Driving Beta.’

You said it all “As far as I'm concerned, FSD is many years (and a complete rewrite with new hardware) away from being useful.” My experience as a user interface designer and human factors person(retired, now 71) would require a documentary! Their are many well engineered automobile and motor technologies in TESLA products, but FSD is a hustle. What’s missing are the software engineers from SpaceX who’ve designed the dragon capsule space craft. What I find fraudulent is actually selling/hawking beta FSD for $15,000 or $6000. Or a subscriptions that can utterly confuse drivers and may cause accidents. I guess I assumed an equivalency between the quality of the car and the software. I’m sure vertical integration is difficul. It becomes dangerous when software is expected to feature fix fixing poorly integrated hardware . What I’m going to be angry about in future, are the completely new line of vehicles in the coming year or so that solve these problems without being able to retrofit our vehicles.

You still haven't said what actually happened.

or if you're even on the beta or not (because if you're not the subscription likely didn't actually change anything about how your car drives other than it'll stop at red lights and stop signs now)

" I bought a months subscription and it would only activate in beta mode" is a confusing statement because ALL of Teslas ADAS features are listed as beta, even basic autopilot. But FSDb is a specific, entirely different software stack you have to additionally request, and then wait to be added to.

Also, to my knowledge, there's been 0 actual accidents or injuries resulting from the FSDb code in a couple years of public testing across billions of miles of driving.

respectfully I disagree! Maybe older cars supported such software better than new one’. You wouldn’t by chance be color blind or under 40?

Enough said, clearly this all dissolves into a conspiracy of the uninformed. I don’t know what good FSD looks like, but I can assure you I know what bad FSD looks like. It’s my problem anyway, sorry for upsetting the believers.

respectfully I disagree! Maybe older cars supported such software better than new one’. You wouldn’t by chance be color blind or under 40?

Disagree with what? I asked what your actual problem experience was, and asked if you were on the actual fsdb code or just regular fsd. And also pointed out AFAIK there's been 0 accidents on FSDb, suggesting your "dangerous" description was unsupported by known facts.

Rather than answer or address any of that you just told us we're all in a conspiracy of the uninformed despite you appearing to be the least informed person in the thread at this point.

Speaking of uninformed, here's you last month-

what I see reviewing the screens of high end FSD VEHICLES is a completely different story. Colors appear better as does the accuracy of the color imaging lines and vehicles in the the driver side front third of the safety screen. I think all owner’s of TESLA vehicles should get a fair shake regarding color and clarity in the safety screen area. 1MP cameras offer a Limited 1080 screen resolution and screen graphics processors should be of higher quality . Screw computer analysis, higher megapixel cameras are required. They should be offered as a reasonably priced upgrade instead of the cheap approach to FSD in Model-3 level cars. Better cameras and graphics cards are as big a safety issue as batteries! Quantity shouldn’t come at the expense of quality, especially when taking a visual approach to FSD. Don’t get me wrong I love the Model-3 LR and wil never go back to ICE

What "high end FSD vehicles" are you talking about here-- because to my knowledge there are zero FSD cars on the market to consumers other than Teslas-high end or otherwise- and they all use the same resolution cameras.

Further it's unclear what you imagine the safety implications of not rendering vehicle colors super accurately are. It's not like it slows down differently if the car in front of you is one shade of blue versus another shade..... additionally, you seem uninformed of the fact the display is rendering a compressed version of what the driving computer actually sees so you can't make any assumptions about the FSD system from the on-screen footage... this has been demonstrated repeatedly by Green and others with direct access to the raw cam footage.

Last edited:
doubt Is doubt! I’m sincere because if this is FSD, then the LiDAR approach clearly will succeed. People adapt to the operation of software and become habituated in anticipating what it’s going to do next. This is exactly what the software is supposed to remove, enabling, habituation. I’m completely sure now that I had the completely wrong idea about what FSD means. What do I know?

doubt Is doubt!

Right. I doubt your ability to answer any of the questions you keep dodging about your original claims for example.

I’m sincere because if this is FSD, then the LiDAR approach clearly will succeed.
[

Really? Then why can't I buy a car with actual L4/L5 FSD using LIDAR from anyone?

Why is Waymo, which has been working toward L4 FSD with LIDAR for over a decade still only available in 2 places, in tiny numbers, and in the harder place only very specific hours on very specific routes?

People adapt to the operation of software and become habituated in anticipating what it’s going to do next. This is exactly what the software is supposed to remove, enabling, habituation.

...what?

First you still haven't even answered what actual version of the software you were on (or even specifically what your problem was with it... or why you think better vehicle color rendering has anything to do with anything....)

Second, this sounds like you somehow thought Tesla FSD was >L2, despite it telling you repeatedly on not just the website, but during the purchase, and then during initial activation, and then during every activation after that it is not.

So that misunderstanding is kinda on you at that point.

I’m completely sure now that I had the completely wrong idea about what FSD means. What do I know?

Yup, seems to confirm the above.

Which is why you telling the folks who understood what the product actually was currently they are uninformed was so funny.

Reactions: Sigma4Life and Olle
Also, to my knowledge, there's been 0 actual accidents or injuries resulting from the FSDb code
We’ll never know for sure since there is no cabin camera video (and it seems like it probably got settled or something), but this seems likely to have been on FSD Beta, based on attestation of the driver (initial post seemed pretty legit) :

Wiki - MASTER THREAD: Actual FSD Beta downloads and experiences

Assuming FSD Beta was in use:
1) Primary cause was incorrect swerve to avoid mailbox (FSD Beta code issue), at least that is presumably the reason for the incorrect steering input.
2) Major contributing factor was driver likely not having both hands securely on wheel (he claimed he did), driving the car, causing large delay on corrective action. (Deviation from correct line started at ~8 seconds, no action until after ~8.6 seconds.)
3) Major contributing factor was driver overcorrecting when corrective action was taken, resulting in roadway departure.

Last edited: