Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Add still old price

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a model 3 on order and still keep going back and forth on FSD. I'll be using the car two -to four times a week from a 120 mile highway drive (besides using it locally). Anyway, as of 3/1/22 on my order account it still lists the price for FSD at $10k despite the price published price raise to $12k. Maybe this is because I originally ordered last year and postponed? Or is this some kind of misprint? The only thing I really want FSD for is auto lane change which would be helpful on my commute, though I had a thought today that if it's ever truly self-driving, the car could follow my RV when I used it (since it can't be towed). But those are side issues. Is the $10k price I'm seeing on my account still valid do you think?

I have a model 3 on order and still keep going back and forth on FSD. I'll be using the car two -to four times a week from a 120 mile highway drive (besides using it locally). Anyway, as of 3/1/22 on my order account it still lists the price for FSD at $10k despite the price published price raise to $12k. Maybe this is because I originally ordered last year and postponed? Or is this some kind of misprint? The only thing I really want FSD for is auto lane change which would be helpful on my commute, though I had a thought today that if it's ever truly self-driving, the car could follow my RV when I used it (since it can't be towed). But those are side issues. Is the $10k price I'm seeing on my account still valid do you think?
If you placed your order before the price change then yes, all old pricing applies. Be aware though, if you make any changes whatsoever all current pricing will be in effect.

Be aware though, if you make any changes whatsoever all current pricing will be in effect.
Are you saying if I add the FSD for 10k it could raise the price of the car itself? Or are you saying if I add the FSD and then later drop it, it will raise the price of the car itself? (sorry don't mean to be dense).

Be aware though, if you make any changes whatsoever all current pricing will be in effect.
Are you saying if I add the FSD for 10k it could raise the price of the car itself? Or are you saying if I add the FSD and then later drop it, it will raise the price of the car itself? (sorry don't mean to be dense).
So maybe I'm misunderstanding. In your first post you said on your order the price for FSD is still $10k and now you're talking about adding it. Do you have an order in already pre-price increase? If you do then yes, it will be $10k as you're already locked in. If not and you do have an order but never added FSD and add it today, it will be $12k. Also, what I was saying was with the assumption that you had an order in with FSD for $10k and if you make a change to your order (wheels, paint... anything) it will increase all prices to current ones, including FSD. Hope that cleared up any confusion.

My original order (which I delayed) was in November 2021. At one time I added FSD then dropped it. I've got scheduled delivery for March 15-30 (which they've delayed twice now).

This is the pricing that shows on my account.

$35,000.00
Deep Blue Metallic
$1,000.00
Long Range All-Wheel Drive
$14,990.00
Destination Fee
$1,125.00
Documentation Fee
$75.00
Order Fee
$250.00
Car Price
$52,440.00

Additional Charges​

Registration Amount
$256.70
GA Lemon Law Fee
$3.00
Sales Tax
$3,230.04

Total Cost of Vehicle​

$55,929.74​

So, if I understand correctly, I can still add the FSD for 10k and that will not change the base car price. However, if I add the FSD and then change the color or something like that, the base price of the car itself will change prices to whatever is currently being asked (though I'm not sure that's any more at the moment)?

It also says, btw, if I add the self-driving option for 10k I will "not be able to make any further changes to the vehicle."

So you don't have FSD currently and unfortunately it will add $12k to the price maybe. If you're saying your seeing it as an option for $10k perhaps they will honor it since you placed your order prior to the price increase. I would reach out to your SA and probe to find out for sure. And yes, if you add it now the contract would have to be redrafted and financing redone. You've been approved for the current amount but adding another $10 - $12k on top of that will most likely make the financing company want to look again to make sure you're not stretching yourself too thin. If I were you I'd just leave it alone as changing things might delay the car even further. You can add it after you take delivery if you wish but then obviously it can't be rolled into the financing. There's always the $199/month option to see if it's something you even want. Seems you have some decisions to make my friend.

You need to ask "all of this" to Tesla. Nothing you read here is enforceable, so no matter what anyone replies to you on matters of "what happens with my order", the only voice that matters is the one you are buying from, and thats someone from tesla.

Since you already once "ordered FSD then dropped it", there is a chance that changing anything on your order yourself, including adding FSD will re calculate your entire order to new pricing now. The only one that can tell you whether that will happen is Tesla. There are some stipulations that I am not aware of, that dictate whether you can add FSD and not re calculate everything or not.

I think, but dont know, that part of that stipulation was that you had not done that yet, but you have. Go to a tesla store and ask a tesla representative, or call a tesla sales center and ask. Other than that, you are taking your chances, because as I said, no matter what is said here, no one is going to refund you anything if they made a mistake in saying "Oh yeah you can do XXX".

After seeing your post, I realized that I’m in the exact same situation as you- I reserved in October ‘21 and planned to add FSD after delivery to same a few bucks on taxes, etc., and was bummed when the price increased in January but figured there was nothing I could do about it.

Now, I see that I have the option to add FSD for $10k still, but I’m still very nervous about goofing up my locked in price (4k lower than today.) However, this would potentially save me $2k, so it’s not a trivial gamble.

I’ve called two stores. One said my base price would increase because any change to your reservation moves you to today’s price, the other said it wouldn’t because since it shows as an option in my account, that means I can do it without penalty.

Did you ever find out anything more?

So it turned out that because I added it (then dropped it) last November, I locked the price in and they honored It.
Just to follow up, I called in and confirmed that I could add with no penalty to my base price. While I had the representative on the phone, I added the FSD through my account (so that she could immediately submit a ticket just in case something went weird.) Before I submitted, I took a screenshot of my current price, and the screen that showed adding the FSD for $10k. I added the FSD option, and my base price stayed the same and the total before taxes went up by exactly $10k.

Thanks for trailblazing this!

Just to follow up, I called in and confirmed that I could add with no penalty to my base price. While I had the representative on the phone, I added the FSD through my account (so that she could immediately submit a ticket just in case something went weird.) Before I submitted, I took a screenshot of my current price, and the screen that showed adding the FSD for $10k. I added the FSD option, and my base price stayed the same and the total before taxes went up by exactly $10k.

Thanks for trailblazing this!
Exactly what I did.

So it is important to remember that it is in Beta. The summon does not work on any roads labeled city road (which most residential streets are). The autolane change is cool, however, not fool proof. I had an experience this weekend where the lane was clear and it switched, but a car behind cut in as well going quick. I accelerated to gain space to not get rear-ended, and then my autopilot was disengaged for the rest of two hour trip as i had gone over the limit too much. Speed limit was 70 on interstate and prolly hit low 80s to prevent getting rear-ended. It will also sometimes misjudge widening lanes and the constant having to apply slight turning pressure is annoying considering it is advertised as FSD. I get it for safety, but am glad I just did a trial for 200 rather than 12000.

So it is important to remember that it is in Beta. The summon does not work on any roads labeled city road (which most residential streets are). The autolane change is cool, however, not fool proof. I had an experience this weekend where the lane was clear and it switched, but a car behind cut in as well going quick. I accelerated to gain space to not get rear-ended, and then my autopilot was disengaged for the rest of two hour trip as i had gone over the limit too much. Speed limit was 70 on interstate and prolly hit low 80s to prevent getting rear-ended. It will also sometimes misjudge widening lanes and the constant having to apply slight turning pressure is annoying considering it is advertised as FSD. I get it for safety, but am glad I just did a trial for 200 rather than 12000.

You can reset “Autopilot jail,” as it’s called around here, by putting the car in park, then resuming your journey. This can be done quickly at the end of a highway exit ramp.

I don't think I'd add FSD ever in its current form unless it was SUPER cheap like acceleration boost cheap (2k). Tesla is charging a price for it that assumes it actually works and isn't a BETA piece of software. Who knows if the current hardware really will have the capabilities to support what it might ultimately need.

Look at all the older Model Sucker, errr customers, who bought the hype and now years later, they need a hardware upgrade just to support the vaporware we have now. IF it actually worked, I'd drop the 10/12k tomorrow. Perhaps just give enhanced autopilot for 2-3k and I'll buy that.

I can't even begin to tell you the number of phantom braking events I've had with just TACC and autopilot. I hope to heck there is a completely better fode stack for the FSD. Keep in mind though they did pull one release of FSD because phantom braking was so bad. Read into how bad that had to be before they would pull it...

I test drove a FSD M3 the other day and it unexpectedly me right off an exit, though somehow I'll still be tempted to try it for $200. It has to get better someday