TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

FSD after purchase software upgrade now $5000?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Az_Rael, Jun 26, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Az_Rael

Az_Rael Supporting Member

I am seeing various reports that the software FSD upgrade is now showing as $5000 in folks accounts. It looks like it is still $3000 when ordered new, which is interesting. I can’t confirm, as I already have the option.

I am hopeful that a price increase means feature releases are imminent!

Edit: looks like it is now $5k after the fact
    44A47169-E6C4-4199-9621-059D566CA34F.jpeg

2. r0xx0r

r0xx0r Member

Yes, it is. FSD after purchase is now $5k. S/X tooooo!!

Elonnnnn!!!!!!

• Like x 1
  3. marusan

marusan Member

I think it's just a strategy. No one I know has purchased FSD since they didn't know how long they'd wait for it. Even worse, imagine if you totaled your car before it ever even got enabled. But now that he's announced that some FSD features would be coming out in the next major rev, more folks are likely to go ahead and spurge for it (as I just did), and the high "pay later" price is just intended to imply that you're really going to regret not having done so.

Bottom line, they're trying to coax money out of people earlier rather than later. They want this to be a good quarter.

• Like x 4
  4. MIT_S60

MIT_S60 Member

I think that makes sense for new orders, but it's pretty lame for those who already ordered based on the price being quoted everywhere as $4k post delivery.

• Like x 8
    • Helpful x 1
    • Disagree x 1
  5. Timmy T.

Timmy T. Member

I'm fairly certain we'll all be eligible for the $4K FSD upgrade. New owners not so much....

• Like x 3
  6. eli_

eli_ Member

Existing S/X owners are seeing $5K for FSD upgrades, but for existing 3 owners it's still $4K. Not sure if this is going to fix itself soon or what.

7. boaterva

boaterva Supporting Member

Um, we’ve said all along don’t depend on it being the same price forever and here we go. I bought it just for that reason. (That being one reason.) They have done this in the past where the ‘post sales’ price was changed. It said ‘after pirchase’ but not how long after purchase!

What we need now is people with S and X’s who didn’t get FSD to see if the price in their accounts still says $4000 or changes to $5000. Perhaps after July 1? Who knows.

Edit: is that all current S and X people are seeing the new price! Eek. I would have thought a warning would have been warranted....

• Like x 3
  8. BradWI

BradWI Supporting Member

Then they should’ve said it was increasing on July 1st to get people to pull the trigger. Now there’s no incentive to get it right now because it’s not like they’ll increase it again anytime soon.

• Like x 6
  9. Phrixotrichus

Phrixotrichus Member

it could be 1k in the config and 10k after purchase and you`d still pay 1k for basically nothing because you can`t save money on a product that doesn`t exist.
    I´m pretty much expecting a big "undelivered paid-for features" lawsuit in the future....

• Love x 1
  10. MrRandyB

MrRandyB Member

My upgrade screen is still showing $4k

FSD.JPG

11. JeffK

JeffK Well-Known Member

Yes, only applies to new buyers.

I don't know, I mean I'm getting full coverage when I get mine and I'd hope that insurance will still cover that feature even though it's software only.

12. ℬête Noire

ℬête Noire Active Member

I remember how someone yesterday was bemoaning they hadn't gotten any warning, any notice, that the FSB price was changing.

Thought: Might be that that existing owners have been given a grace period. Tesla just pushed another $1K stack of chips up to the four already at the center of the table. So now it's time for you call and bet against them but pay $5K later or fold and buy at $4K in the next few weeks.

13. a.void

a.void Member

Vaporware

14. JeffK

JeffK Well-Known Member

We'll see in a few months.

15. Az_Rael

Az_Rael Supporting Member

• Informative x 1
  16. PoitNarf

PoitNarf The Clown Prince of Crime

Still shows up as a $4000 upgrade for me as well.

17. Trips

Trips "Boring bonehead questions are not cool. Next?"

How do I cancel my order? First off they not allowing me to pay for data when I was planning on it after one year. Now after I ordered the dual motor they lowered my price $1,000. It doesn't seem right that they can make changes like these. :):):)

• Funny x 2
    • Like x 1
  18. Need

Need Active Member

2017 MX owner here. Yesterday some 2018 MCU2 MS/MX owners reported that the FSD option disappeared from their account, so I went to check mine. It was still there and showing $4000. This morning it changed to $5000.

• Informative x 2
  19. ℬête Noire

ℬête Noire Active Member

That does bring up a somewhat more serious question, are they honouring the old Red/White paint prices on those existing AWD orders?

20. bro1999

bro1999 Active Member

Does give an incentive (for those that actually believe FSD is coming anytime soon) to fork over money to Tesla up front rather than down the road, doesn't it? Encouraging more people to pay $3k up front certainly helps the bottom line a bit.