Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD after purchase software upgrade now $5000?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This tells us two things.

First, it may imply that FSD will be rolling out soon. I have to be honest that FSD is part of the reasons why I pulled the trigger on my Model S. Tesla must be confident about FSD now and maybe what Elon said that it is promising might not be exaggeration.

Second, Tesla really needs to squeeze cash out of customers or scare the buyers that if they don't buy now, they will regret with 2k more cost.

Personally, this is not a good move by Tesla because it "kinda" promised back in 2016 that FSD would be ready by December 2016, but it is not still out there. They kept delaying. Even Elon at one point tweeted "maybe in 3 months, 6 months definitely" They really should provide same 3K for all customers who already bought for the certain time period and then raise it up.
It was only EAP that they promised would be ready by December 2016 (but only actually released a tiny portion of AP to less than 1000 cars to claim they made the deadline, but most of us at the time didn't see any features for weeks afterwards), which still has yet to reach AP1 parity (missing truck/motorcycle detection and reading speed limit signs, not to mention nag-gate if one considers that a regression). I fully support their decision to increase the post-delivery price to $5k for NEW orders, but current owners should be locked in to what was claimed as the "post-delivery price", or at least be given a notice before the price increases.

No, that was EAP with AP1 parity which Elon was wrong about that timeline.

It was only EAP that they promised would be ready by December 2016 (but only actually released a tiny portion of AP to less than 1000 cars to claim they made the deadline, but most of us at the time didn't see any features for weeks afterwards), which still has yet to reach AP1 parity (missing truck/motorcycle detection and reading speed limit signs, not to mention nag-gate if one considers that a regression). I fully support their decision to increase the post-delivery price to $5k for NEW orders, but current owners should be locked in to what was claimed as the "post-delivery price", or at least be given a notice before the price increases.

Wow, some of you guys have so good memory!

But still, I swear that on October 15th announcement and FSD video footage kinda implied it would have rolled out soon after EAP.
Very few people had expected at that time that if would take more than 1 year and half.

Wow, some of you guys have so good memory!

But still, I swear that on October 15th announcement and FSD video footage kinda implied it would have rolled out soon after EAP.
Very few people had expected at that time that if would take more than 1 year and half.
They really never meant to imply that, they just wanted to demo what was possible with the hardware. The concept at the time was that all Teslas would come with the hardware necessarily for FSD.

It was only EAP that they promised would be ready by December 2016 (but only actually released a tiny portion of AP to less than 1000 cars to claim they made the deadline, but most of us at the time didn't see any features for weeks afterwards)

This was actually kind of sneaky…..

This is the wording at the time of AP2 announcement in October 2016:
Tesla-enhanced-autopilot-upgrade.jpg

Here is what it says now:
upload_2018-6-27_14-10-53.png

Note the last line. You can easily make an argument how the older wording implied that all Enhanced Autopilot features would roll out by December 2016, and now the new wording more reflects reality….[/QUOTE]

Attachments

• upload_2018-6-27_14-9-43.png
    upload_2018-6-27_14-9-43.png
    134.3 KB · Views: 64
I guess it's meant to persuade more people to buy FSD now, instead of waiting. Now it's a 2k penalty, instead of a 1k penalty.

As hard as it is to admit, I guess I will now consider buying FSD upfront, if they have rolled out some functionality, as mundane as it might be by the time I will get mine. With EU Tesla premiums and taxes, I don't know if the 100% penalty increase is really worth the lowered risk.

Before I was rather sure about waiting until it adds some worthy capabilities, now I'm leaning more towards buying right away.

Beside that $2K penalty for adding it later, should we consider getting a different tax rate too?
I'm in Texas and car sale tax is 6.25% and State sale tax is 8.25%.

I heard if you add it now, it will be rolled into your finance car sale tax of 6.25%. If you want to add it later...it will be tax differently, it will be tax as a sale tax for a "feature" at 8.25% on top of that $5000!

So $5000 + 8.25% = $5412.50 if you later decide to add it after delivery. Or just $3000 + 6.25% = $3187.50 now...saving $2225 in the long run.

Once we add EAP and FSD, it is forever tied to the car VIN, correct? Guess it will help with the resale value?

I just added that $3K FSD too.

Looks like early Model 3 Adopters prices have changed to upgrade to FSD from $4K to $5K when we check our software upgrade screen.

Many people have confirmed that this is a mistake. Tesla says they will have it fixed in the next few weeks. Here is the response I got about it:

“Thanks for reaching out. The cost of full self driving will go back to $4000 for anyone who purchased the car before 6/26/18. I cannot say exactly when the change will be reflected in your account but I do know that some of my colleagues are working on it. If you do not see a change within the next couple of weeks please let us know. “

Many people have confirmed that this is a mistake. Tesla says they will have it fixed in the next few weeks. Here is the response I got about it:

“Thanks for reaching out. The cost of full self driving will go back to $4000 for anyone who purchased the car before 6/26/18. I cannot say exactly when the change will be reflected in your account but I do know that some of my colleagues are working on it. If you do not see a change within the next couple of weeks please let us know. “

So I configured my car on 4/18/18. It was delivered 7/3/18. So what do you guys think the response above meant by "purchased"? I am assuming I am good for the $4k upgrade and not the $5k upgrade? It was only ever presented to me that it would be $4k after the fact.

My suggestion is to take the money you'd spend for FSD and buy TSLA stock. If they really do FSD, the stock value will be more than enough to pay for the later install. If they don't, you may lose money on the stock, but less than the money wasted on vaporware.