Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD after purchase software upgrade now $5000?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Az_Rael

Supporting Member
Jan 26, 2016
Palmdale, CA
I am seeing various reports that the software FSD upgrade is now showing as $5000 in folks accounts. It looks like it is still $3000 when ordered new, which is interesting. I can’t confirm, as I already have the option.

I am hopeful that a price increase means feature releases are imminent!

Edit: looks like it is now $5k after the fact
44A47169-E6C4-4199-9621-059D566CA34F.jpeg

I am seeing various reports that the software FSD upgrade is now showing as $5000 in folks accounts. It looks like it is still $3000 when ordered new, which is interesting. I can’t confirm, as I already have the option.

View attachment 312741

Yes, it is. FSD after purchase is now $5k. S/X tooooo!!

Elonnnnn!!!!!!

Reactions: MIT_S60

I think it's just a strategy. No one I know has purchased FSD since they didn't know how long they'd wait for it. Even worse, imagine if you totaled your car before it ever even got enabled. But now that he's announced that some FSD features would be coming out in the next major rev, more folks are likely to go ahead and spurge for it (as I just did), and the high "pay later" price is just intended to imply that you're really going to regret not having done so.

Bottom line, they're trying to coax money out of people earlier rather than later. They want this to be a good quarter.

I think it's just a strategy. No one I know has purchased FSD since they didn't know how long they'd wait for it. Even worse, imagine if you totaled your car before it ever even got enabled. But now that he's announced that some FSD features would be coming out in the next major rev, more folks are likely to go ahead and spurge for it (as I just did), and the high "pay later" price is just intended to imply that you're really going to regret not having done so.

Bottom line, they're trying to coax money out of people earlier rather than later. They want this to be a good quarter.
I think that makes sense for new orders, but it's pretty lame for those who already ordered based on the price being quoted everywhere as $4k post delivery.

Um, we’ve said all along don’t depend on it being the same price forever and here we go. I bought it just for that reason. (That being one reason.) They have done this in the past where the ‘post sales’ price was changed. It said ‘after pirchase’ but not how long after purchase!

What we need now is people with S and X’s who didn’t get FSD to see if the price in their accounts still says $4000 or changes to $5000. Perhaps after July 1? Who knows.

Edit: is that all current S and X people are seeing the new price! Eek. I would have thought a warning would have been warranted....

My upgrade screen is still showing $4k

I remember how someone yesterday was bemoaning they hadn't gotten any warning, any notice, that the FSB price was changing.

Thought: Might be that that existing owners have been given a grace period. Tesla just pushed another $1K stack of chips up to the four already at the center of the table. So now it's time for you call and bet against them but pay $5K later or fold and buy at $4K in the next few weeks.

Some S and X owners are reporting $5k in their accounts now. Seems like Model 3 owners are still seeing $4k

FSD upgrade option disappeared from My Account

2017 MX owner here. Yesterday some 2018 MCU2 MS/MX owners reported that the FSD option disappeared from their account, so I went to check mine. It was still there and showing $4000. This morning it changed to $5000.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP and Az_Rael
How do I cancel my order? First off they not allowing me to pay for data when I was planning on it after one year. Now after I ordered the dual motor they lowered my price $1,000. It doesn't seem right that they can make changes like these. :):):)
That does bring up a somewhat more serious question, are they honouring the old Red/White paint prices on those existing AWD orders?

Does give an incentive (for those that actually believe FSD is coming anytime soon) to fork over money to Tesla up front rather than down the road, doesn't it? Encouraging more people to pay $3k up front certainly helps the bottom line a bit.