Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD and Hardware

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For all of those who purchase FSD are any hardware upgrades that may be needed in the future included in the purchase. In other words if I buy a new car today with FSD and a future version of FSD requires hardware that doesn't exist on my car does Tesla have to provide the hardware upgrade for free?

Elon claims HW3 is sufficient for FSD, in which case you wouldn’t be entitled to future free hardware upgrades. No doubt FSD features will work better with future hardware, but as long as the functionality is acceptable on HW3, no free upgrade. You might be able to pay for an upgrade.

If Elon acknowledges at some point that true FSD can’t be achieved with HW3, then I think Tesla will need to provide free hardware upgrades.

Tesla already offered a free upgrade to HW3 (from HW2.0/HW2.5) for FSD users. So, no reason to suspect we will be left out. If *new* functions are offered, perhaps a (small) fee will be required (MCU1 to MCU2).

If we are talking about extra cameras on different places (eg front bumper), that will be a challenge.....