Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD and just driving // taking a break

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Gentle readers;

I bought in, when I learned I could get into the early beta.. I subscribed to FSD and drove like a shy nun for weeks to earn a spot. I got in! As a tech guy, it's fascinating, this side of FSD history. It drove my wife nuts when I used it, and my kids. I often disengaged in critical spots so that my braking and acceleration made more sense. The corners were rough, just way too close to curbs.. I ordinarily like to avoid bones and glass. The unexpected non-sensical lane changes on city streets, the stuttering, the phantom braking. I learned to anticipate and deal with all of it!

Then, about a month ago I started to drive. I found that I really enjoyed driving THE best cars (I've had a 3 and now a Y), super quiet and smooth.. electric-railed beasts, quiet and so deadly. I learned I love driving, and FSD just seems juvenile next to my decisions. I'm done, for now, being honestly embarrassed by the way FSD handles!

So I'm taking a break, canceled my FSD subscription.. and it's been great. I honestly love being on this side of the best FSD tech out there, and I'll be back. But for now, I love driving the best machines I've owned.

PS - I'll miss the easy lane changes on easy highway drives, and the self-parking was kinda nice

Is anyone else in the same boat? I'll take a break for as long as possible until some blog or post tempts me back to try it again! =)

Why not just cut it off. Getting back in is not a sure thing or quick.

It could be months before there is a FSD Beta version worth re-subscribing for.

That's a lot of $$$'s to waste.

I wish they made it easy for FSD Subscribers to get back into the FSD Beta program. Like being able to skip the whole safety score thing.

Subscribers are also the ultimate indication of success. If FSD Beta is able to retain subscribers then its probably pretty decent, but if people bail after a month its probably not so great.

So I'm taking a break, canceled my FSD subscription.. and it's been great. I honestly love being on this side of the best FSD tech out there, and I'll be back. But for now, I love driving the best machines I've owned.

PS - I'll miss the easy lane changes on easy highway drives, and the self-parking was kinda nice

Is anyone else in the same boat? I'll take a break for as long as possible until some blog or post tempts me back to try it again! =)
Now that you cancelled, doubly sure we’ll get 11 soon ;)

I see 2 on Teslafi who moved from 10.10.2 to main branch.

Reactions: jakimo
At this rate of improvement, I’m thinking it’ll be more than a year before it’s worth trying again. In the meantime, it’s great driving on my own :)

For me, FSD is just fun. I don’t actually need any car to drive for me, having to watch carefully for problems

What’s the point of FSD if it’s not really FSD, actually..?! (Read: FSD without having to pay attention or even stay awake at all.)

At this stage, it requires more attention to use FSD beta than drive on your own!! I mean, I’m not going to keep paying for that.. shoooo, they could pay users that are willing to babysit juvenile driving and report all the mistakes

PS - I would take the lower subscription some have chatted about, for just highway lane change and self-parking

PPS - I’d love normal cruise control, as an option

Reactions: Sporty
What’s the point of FSD if it’s not really FSD, actually..?! (Read: FSD without having to pay attention or even stay awake at all.)

LOL. Different perspectives. Not sure I’ll like FSD when it drives like a champ. That would be like adopting a 17 year old instead of raising your kid ;)

ps : Yes, having the car drive you would be nice at night when it’s raining.

Reactions: jakimo
Have you already read that folks that cancel and rejoin have to hit the 100 miles with high scores over again?
I'm not aware of anyone insane enough to do that.

I think its a safe assumption as that's the path an owner has to take if they try to cancel and rejoin. I own FSD, and I don't want to cancel the beta because of all the work it took to get the beta.

It would be nice to be back on the mainline though, and back to a version without Tesla Vision.

LOL. Different perspectives. Not sure I’ll like FSD when it drives like a champ. That would be like adopting a 17 year old instead of raising your kid ;)

ps : Yes, having the car drive you would be nice at night when it’s raining.
Just as long as FSD doesn't bail out once you get a steady rain while driving on the highway. That is what usually happens to me especially at night.