TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

FSD / AP Rewrite - turning the corner?

Discussion in 'The UK and Ireland' started by VanillaAir_UK, Oct 19, 2020.

1. VanillaAir_UK

VanillaAir_UK Moderator UK and Ireland

20th October is nearly here. One more sleep for some before the AP rewrite is apparently ready to roll to the first early access careful drivers. Hopefully we will start to see some early leaks but its likely to be a very select few who strictly will be under some form of NDA, but this hasn't stopped leaks in the past and I am sure that Tesla like a bit of buzz from these things.

Its not entirely clear whether the AP rewrite will be accompanied with some new FSD features, or whether the likes of "automatic driving on city streets" will be drip fed.

What is clear is that Tesla believe that the Autopilot rewrite is a 'quantum leap'. Do you believe/see this?

Do you think it will make a big difference to how you view autopilot and FSD?
    Are you likely to change your purchase plans of EAP (if it returns) / FSD based upon what you see/hear?
    Do you think that AP/FSD has turned a corner or it remains a novelty?

2. DaveW

DaveW Active Member

The main thing I really hope is that phantom braking is eradicated, it's the thing I see most complained about and I can understand why. I fortunately haven't experienced too many events, but they do tend to put you off using it for a while, especially some people who've had to deal with road rage as the person behind thought they'd been brake checked / nearly crashed into them.

• Like x 5
  3. Tony Hoyle

Tony Hoyle Member

A quantum is the smallest amount of anything that you can have, so a quantum leap probably isn't what you want :p

It could also mean you end up in someone elses body in the past, which would be a difficult bug to report..

• Funny x 5
  4. Jason71

Jason71 Active Member

The current system already does turrning the corners really well. It's most of the other stuff Id like to see improved. :)

5. Sparkeur

Sparkeur Member

Utopia is to enter a place on the map, press a button and be driven safely there while you get on with things more important than driving.
    I'm guessing 2025...but the progress getting there might be interesting.

6. Tony Hoyle

Tony Hoyle Member

IMO 2025 is massively optimistic, but I'd love it if we got there that fast.

• Like x 1
  7. Florafauna

Florafauna Member

Lets hope that there is a big jump in functionality or at least this rewrite is the basis for quick improvements.

Unlike a previous poster, my main gripe with FSD at the moment is that is does NOT turn corners.
    It seems to be so US centric (where roads are all straight and travelling under the speed limit will get you shot) that the system cannot cope with any corner of note. It tries to go everywhere at the speed limit, never mind the 90 degree bend 50m ahead.

Speed awareness in corners - no 1 ask.
    Able to slow down/avoid objects in road - No 2 ask (the current FSD specifically excludes not hitting objects in the road - tree branch, cat, toddler, etc, etc)

I bought FSD and am enjoying the ride so far but I would like the ride to allow me to have to concentrate less on the road rather than more...

• Like x 1
  8. VanillaAir_UK

VanillaAir_UK Moderator UK and Ireland

upload_2020-10-19_21-44-13.png

• Funny x 1
  9. Dilly

Dilly Active Member

I’d like to see a consistant and common sense approach applied to TACC & AP so that both systems operate the same in respect of speed limits. At least you will know that whichever is engaged, the car will observe speed limits.

my expectation is that 4D will make the car more aware, I just hope it doesn’t make the car more wary.

Like mobile phones, early iterations of FSD will be a novelty. In the future FSD will be mainstream such that turning it off will incur an insurance hike!

my hope is that it just might manage to give me a comfy drive anywhere with some intervention and precious little panic (ever the optimist!)

10. kavyboy

kavyboy Active Member

AP1: Where did this come from? This is awesome!
    AP2: I had hoped for something a lot better, but maybe next version will knock my socks off. Sort of disappointing.
    AP3 part-way through: More of the same so far, and AP2 didn't cut it. It doesn't capture the experience that AP1 did at the time. Overall, disappointing still, but I hope for great things.

Now replace AP with "The Matrix", as in the movies. Look how that turned out! :)

11. browellm

browellm Member

Both of those definitions of quantum are terrible, frankly. A quantum is just a fixed-sized "packet" of something. It could be tiny, it could be massive.

Sci-fi misappropriation klaxon.

• Funny x 2
    • Like x 1
  12. Artiste

Artiste Member

That is my nightmare. I really enjoy driving, and although I want safety features I’m not the slightest bit interested in autonomy. It might be useful on a monotonous motorway journey but that’s it.

How often will a car driving autonomously exploit the performance of an M3P? On a decent country road will it pull out and floor the accelerator (so to speak) to overtake a line of slower cars? I’ve had my car stamp on the brakes many times while on autopilot but it doesn’t accelerate so fast.

13. pgkevet

pgkevet Active Member

Depends on the Ai - options of chill, normal, boy racer, pratt and dickhead modes?

• Funny x 3
  14. Teefal

Teefal Member

Central point is analysis of video over analysis of snapshots. Game changing when they get the kinks out, no matter what.

Current question .., how many kinks are left. Will we be beta testing with our lives, or will they subject a smaller group to certain peril.

Also, I expect this is a "rewrite" in the same sense AP2 was ... entirely different except some core shared libraries.

15. pgkevet

pgkevet Active Member

Personal view that Tesla needs to look further ahead and have a mode whereby the car slows before the bend and anywhere it cannot see far enough ahead for 'comfortable' passenger pro-active slowdowns rather than the current state of affairs where it dives into a corner at NSL and freaks out part way round...

• Like x 2
  16. pilotSteve

pilotSteve Active Member

ok, I think we have "dickhead" mode already.....

• Like x 2
    • Love x 1
  17. GeorgeSymonds

GeorgeSymonds Member

I learnt a long time ago to fear software updates and only look at what a Tesla can actually do and not what they promise. Once I adopted that stance I stopped becoming disappointed every other week at yet another "this is the greatest" promise.

There are born optomists and then there is Musk. I wonder if secretely he really believes what he says everytime? I recon give it 10 years and there will be a film about his life and they'll portray him smoking dope and saying to his girlfriend "watch me make a billion dollars" as he reaches for his twitter account and posts some hyperbole which sends the hard core fanboys into ecstacy and the share price goes up.. As chat up lines go, that's one I wish I had!

• Funny x 3
    • Love x 1
  18. pgkevet

pgkevet Active Member

I'm not critising the fact of a typo or spelling error 'cos I'm as guilty as the next but I think you've just invented a new word:
    Optomist = One who sees through fog

• Like x 1
  19. Keeper

Keeper Member

Not sure I’ve got the b***s to fully use my FSD, no matter how good it is. It’s the other road users without it that I worry about. The roads around here are probably too congested for it to become a stress free experience if that’s what it’s supposed to achieve.

• Like x 3
  20. phil4

phil4 Member

At the moment I see it as a bit of novel gimmick.... I need to keep my hands on the wheel exerting force and concentrating, and then take over when it wigs out.

This is much less so on a straight DC/Motorway, but even then, it doesn't really offer me much more than TACC.

So for me to be tempted to spend ~£7K or more on FSD, or even half that on EAP it'd need to be useful too me, either remove the need for me to be concentrating, or add some feature that I'd genuinely use. I don't think it would really matter to me if it came on massively and could deal with 99% of stuff, if I'm still required to hold the wheel (or nudge it every 10 seconds) and take over for that 1% each journey, it just makes it a slightly better TACC.

Something like Sparkeur mentioned is what would change my mind.

• Like x 1