Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD / AP Rewrite - turning the corner?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
20th October is nearly here. One more sleep for some before the AP rewrite is apparently ready to roll to the first early access careful drivers. Hopefully we will start to see some early leaks but its likely to be a very select few who strictly will be under some form of NDA, but this hasn't stopped leaks in the past and I am sure that Tesla like a bit of buzz from these things.

Its not entirely clear whether the AP rewrite will be accompanied with some new FSD features, or whether the likes of "automatic driving on city streets" will be drip fed.

What is clear is that Tesla believe that the Autopilot rewrite is a 'quantum leap'. Do you believe/see this?

Do you think it will make a big difference to how you view autopilot and FSD?
Are you likely to change your purchase plans of EAP (if it returns) / FSD based upon what you see/hear?
Do you think that AP/FSD has turned a corner or it remains a novelty?

The main thing I really hope is that phantom braking is eradicated, it's the thing I see most complained about and I can understand why. I fortunately haven't experienced too many events, but they do tend to put you off using it for a while, especially some people who've had to deal with road rage as the person behind thought they'd been brake checked / nearly crashed into them.

Lets hope that there is a big jump in functionality or at least this rewrite is the basis for quick improvements.

Unlike a previous poster, my main gripe with FSD at the moment is that is does NOT turn corners.
It seems to be so US centric (where roads are all straight and travelling under the speed limit will get you shot) that the system cannot cope with any corner of note. It tries to go everywhere at the speed limit, never mind the 90 degree bend 50m ahead.

Speed awareness in corners - no 1 ask.
Able to slow down/avoid objects in road - No 2 ask (the current FSD specifically excludes not hitting objects in the road - tree branch, cat, toddler, etc, etc)

I bought FSD and am enjoying the ride so far but I would like the ride to allow me to have to concentrate less on the road rather than more...

Reactions: pilotSteve
A quantum is the smallest amount of anything that you can have, so a quantum leap probably isn't what you want :p

upload_2020-10-19_21-44-13.png

• Funny
Reactions: Rustybkts
I’d like to see a consistant and common sense approach applied to TACC & AP so that both systems operate the same in respect of speed limits. At least you will know that whichever is engaged, the car will observe speed limits.

my expectation is that 4D will make the car more aware, I just hope it doesn’t make the car more wary.

Like mobile phones, early iterations of FSD will be a novelty. In the future FSD will be mainstream such that turning it off will incur an insurance hike!

my hope is that it just might manage to give me a comfy drive anywhere with some intervention and precious little panic (ever the optimist!)

AP1: Where did this come from? This is awesome!
AP2: I had hoped for something a lot better, but maybe next version will knock my socks off. Sort of disappointing.
AP3 part-way through: More of the same so far, and AP2 didn't cut it. It doesn't capture the experience that AP1 did at the time. Overall, disappointing still, but I hope for great things.

Now replace AP with "The Matrix", as in the movies. Look how that turned out! :)

In the future FSD will be mainstream such that turning it off will incur an insurance hike!

That is my nightmare. I really enjoy driving, and although I want safety features I’m not the slightest bit interested in autonomy. It might be useful on a monotonous motorway journey but that’s it.

How often will a car driving autonomously exploit the performance of an M3P? On a decent country road will it pull out and floor the accelerator (so to speak) to overtake a line of slower cars? I’ve had my car stamp on the brakes many times while on autopilot but it doesn’t accelerate so fast.

That is my nightmare. I really enjoy driving, and although I want safety features I’m not the slightest bit interested in autonomy. It might be useful on a monotonous motorway journey but that’s it.

How often will a car driving autonomously exploit the performance of an M3P? On a decent country road will it pull out and floor the accelerator (so to speak) to overtake a line of slower cars? I’ve had my car stamp on the brakes many times while on autopilot but it doesn’t accelerate so fast.

Depends on the Ai - options of chill, normal, boy racer, pratt and dickhead modes?

Central point is analysis of video over analysis of snapshots. Game changing when they get the kinks out, no matter what.

Current question .., how many kinks are left. Will we be beta testing with our lives, or will they subject a smaller group to certain peril.

Also, I expect this is a "rewrite" in the same sense AP2 was ... entirely different except some core shared libraries.

I learnt a long time ago to fear software updates and only look at what a Tesla can actually do and not what they promise. Once I adopted that stance I stopped becoming disappointed every other week at yet another "this is the greatest" promise.

There are born optomists and then there is Musk. I wonder if secretely he really believes what he says everytime? I recon give it 10 years and there will be a film about his life and they'll portray him smoking dope and saying to his girlfriend "watch me make a billion dollars" as he reaches for his twitter account and posts some hyperbole which sends the hard core fanboys into ecstacy and the share price goes up.. As chat up lines go, that's one I wish I had!

At the moment I see it as a bit of novel gimmick.... I need to keep my hands on the wheel exerting force and concentrating, and then take over when it wigs out.

This is much less so on a straight DC/Motorway, but even then, it doesn't really offer me much more than TACC.

So for me to be tempted to spend ~£7K or more on FSD, or even half that on EAP it'd need to be useful too me, either remove the need for me to be concentrating, or add some feature that I'd genuinely use. I don't think it would really matter to me if it came on massively and could deal with 99% of stuff, if I'm still required to hold the wheel (or nudge it every 10 seconds) and take over for that 1% each journey, it just makes it a slightly better TACC.

Something like Sparkeur mentioned is what would change my mind.

Reactions: GreenT