Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD/AP saved me, and almost caused an accident

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This morning FSD/AP saved me from a bad accident. I was going 65 (speed limit) and had just moved past a truck enough to pull over to the right lane. I initiated a lane change on AP. The car started the lane change, then aborted and returned to the left lane as an idiot blew past me weaving into the right lane, then to the left lane, the car must have been doing 85-90. If I had been driving I doubt I would have reacted in time to avoid an accident.

then this evening, again at 65 a car pulled out making a left turn to the opposite lanes. AP slowed violently almost causing the car behind me to rear end me. I hit the accelerator to keep that from happening. It currently over reacts to cars cutting across the roadway. It brakes way too hard to avoid the car, treating like an emergency braking, rather than reducing speed just enough to miss the car by a reasonable margin.

This morning FSD/AP saved me from a bad accident. I was going 65 (speed limit) and had just moved past a truck enough to pull over to the right lane. I initiated a lane change on AP. The car started the lane change, then aborted and returned to the left lane as an idiot blew past me weaving into the right lane, then to the left lane, the car must have been doing 85-90. If I had been driving I doubt I would have reacted in time to avoid an accident.

then this evening, again at 65 a car pulled out making a left turn to the opposite lanes. AP slowed violently almost causing the car behind me to rear end me. I hit the accelerator to keep that from happening. It currently over reacts to cars cutting across the roadway. It brakes way too hard to avoid the car, treating like an emergency braking, rather than reducing speed just enough to miss the car by a reasonable margin.
Thanks for sharing.

Glad I left FSD on the bench...

There’s been stories of it stopping a lane change because of idiots coming up at speed, glad it did that.

I can attest to the slamming on the brakes for a vehicle darting in front oft our lane of movement... it may feel like it’s coming to a complete stop but it’s not. It’s just you’re not expecting it so it feels much worse than it is.

You can’t do anything to stop people from tailgating you besides change lanes. If they want to pay for a new Tesla bumper then that’s on them.

2020.24.6.9 on both our 3 and Y has brought back phantom braking which for the most part during our normal drives had gone away. Yay technology, boo technology!

Reactions: decrypt
It currently over reacts to cars cutting across the roadway. It brakes way too hard to avoid the car, treating like an emergency braking, rather than reducing speed just enough to miss the car by a reasonable margin.

Anticipation. This is one big hurdle for current A.I. technology. A human driver would notice the car is just cutting across the road, but autopilot treats it as an obstacle that is blocking the roadway. Hence the emergency braking in an attempt to stop... until it eventually realizes that the obstacle is gone.

Haha, who leaves MJ on the bench?? This guy!

Guess I'm just finding every possible way to justify not putting FSD on the starting line up from the get go..

I think its best to view it a more granule level.

You definitely want auto-lane change in your starting line up. Now sure it's a bit annoying because you gotta do the play calling. If you leave it to him he fails to execute in a timely manner. Once you've made the call he generally executes well, and takes the sack versus taking any chances.

Smart Summon is someone you don't want to have anything to do with. He's not even a good bench warmer. Maybe it's a good distraction for the kids. Makes for good TV ratings.

NoA has lots of potential, and he could be your star player. But, the errant throws he makes is can get on a persons nerves.

Auto-Park is just a temporarily replacement stand-in player while you wait for the real deal. It's like someone sending their grandma to play while they have other things to attend to.

AP is often overlooked because people blame him for the failures of others, but he's a pretty solid player.

TACC is your front line that you count on, but they are offsides constantly. Any little movement from the defense, and they immediately go. No amount of yelling at them will straighten them out.

I think its best to view it a more granule level.

You definitely want auto-lane change in your starting line up. Now sure it's a bit annoying because you gotta do the play calling. If you leave it to him he fails to execute in a timely manner. Once you've made the call he generally executes well, and takes the sack versus taking any chances.

Smart Summon is someone you don't want to have anything to do with. He's not even a good bench warmer. Maybe it's a good distraction for the kids. Makes for good TV ratings.

NoA has lots of potential, and he could be your star player. But, the errant throws he makes is can get on a persons nerves.

Auto-Park is just a temporarily replacement stand-in player while you wait for the real deal. It's like someone sending their grandma to play while they have other things to attend to.

AP is often overlooked because people blame him for the failures of others, but he's a pretty solid player.

TACC is your front line that you count on, but they are offsides constantly. Any little movement from the defense, and they immediately go. No amount of yelling at them will straighten them out.

That moment when you read something you wrote, and you realize it's completely unreadable due to numerous brain farts.