Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD/AP3 for AP2.0 owners now MCU2 upgrade becoming available?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can anyone confirm if AP2.0 owners with FSD will get updated cameras and/or radar to bring the hardware up to AP2.5 spec with the AP3 HW upgrade?

I can't fathom why Tesla would want to run with different HW for FSD especially for a relatively small subset of early adopters.

And with the MCU2 upgrade now being made available, AP hardware parity makes ever more sense.

We won't know until April at the earliest. I'm guessing you can begin placing your service appointment for "Infotainment Upgrade with HW3" via the mobile app starting 3/31, and pick a mid April instal date.

That's what a few of us did with our AP2 Model S/X. I submitted a ticket two days after we all get the email, and it's scheduled for tomorrow. I already got a call from my local service center advising me that my parts are in and that the install will take Friday and Monday to complete.

Wait until 3/31, book your appointment for mid to late April and you hopefully should be good to go.

Someone already posted this after they got their Model S/X back today after the Infotainment upgrade with HW3 was completed/

20E6D558-1F0C-4892-A033-130BC1222B1F.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: Krash
I talked to the SC today and asked all the same questions. Told them I wanted to order, if possible, color b pillar, and front side cameras and the continental radar. Also asked if the windshield camera bracket was the same as HW3 and could be changed to color. He said it was not being offered at this time.
I was hoping to have the parts at the SC and installed on a T&M basis the same time as the AP3 upgrade. This would make the software closer between the models and less programing going forward?

We won't know until April at the earliest. I'm guessing you can begin placing your service appointment for "Infotainment Upgrade with HW3" via the mobile app starting 3/31, and pick a mid April instal date.

That's what a few of us did with our AP2 Model S/X. I submitted a ticket two days after we all get the email, and it's scheduled for tomorrow. I already got a call from my local service center advising me that my parts are in and that the install will take Friday and Monday to complete.

Wait until 3/31, book your appointment for mid to late April and you hopefully should be good to go.

Someone already posted this after they got their Model S/X back today after the Infotainment upgrade with HW3 was completed/

View attachment 521051
hi, from my understanding of the announcements, this guy did the upgrade from MCU 1 to 2 from HW2.5 +FSD, which is why on item 7, it says 2.5 to 3.0 which is the new FSD computer.

If you upgrade MCU 1 to 2, which I believe is eligible for AP1 cars too, they won't upgrade your HW to 3.

Are you a AP2 HW2.0 Model S/X?
I know they announced 'Late March' for people with hw2.0 and FSD purchased, but I thought they were having problems finding a retrofit for HW2.0 to 3.0

HW2.5 to HW3.0 is relatively easy, straight swap.

Last edited:
I have an appt for my 2.5 X for next week and they said date depends on parts arrival. I have no idea if anyone has done a 2.0 upgrade (to HW3) since that is more than swap AP and MCU. Have to see how this all plays out!

There is no reason nor is it likely that it cameras or radar need to be changed. NN does fine with RCCC. Radars are nearly identical.

Agreed. I was idly speculating before that they would change the camera but I've learned since then that the cameras are close to identical with only a single filter change. Same for the radar, I think, where there is only a 10ft difference. So I'm no longer concerned that the AP2.0 cameras are inferior in any meaningful way and I can live with b&w or weird color sentry mode.

Agreed. I was idly speculating before that they would change the camera but I've learned since then that the cameras are close to identical with only a single filter change. Same for the radar, I think, where there is only a 10ft difference. So I'm no longer concerned that the AP2.0 cameras are inferior in any meaningful way and I can live with b&w or weird color sentry mode.

10m difference but yes. They might change cams because it's not that big of a deal to do that but I could see them doing the same swap for all MCU1 cars.

The steering efuses and hardware redundancies in 2.5 and 3 are a bigger issue and harder for Tesla to implement but I think they need to do that. Those changes go directly to safety and regulatory compliance.

There is no reason nor is it likely that it cameras or radar need to be changed. NN does fine with RCCC. Radars are nearly identical.

I could accept that except for a post I recall some way back in another thread where the owner had both an AP2.0 car and an AP2.5 car.
He was categoric that the AP2.5 one behaved noticeably better on AP. He had no axe to grind as there was no ugrades on the horizon at that point in time, simply that the newer car was a significant improvement on AP.
As for the radar - again I recall somebody saying on here the improvement wasnt in range but more in improved noise.

10m difference but yes. They might change cams because it's not that big of a deal to do that but I could see them doing the same swap for all MCU1 cars.

The steering efuses and hardware redundancies in 2.5 and 3 are a bigger issue and harder for Tesla to implement but I think they need to do that. Those changes go directly to safety and regulatory compliance.
I could accept that except for a post I recall some way back in another thread where the owner had both an AP2.0 car and an AP2.5 car.
He was categoric that the AP2.5 one behaved noticeably better on AP. He had no axe to grind as there was no ugrades on the horizon at that point in time, simply that the newer car was a significant improvement on AP.
As for the radar - again I recall somebody saying on here the improvement wasnt in range but more in improved noise.
As for the radar - again I recall somebody saying on here the improvement wasnt in range but more in improved noise.[/QUOT

So your theory is that there is no andvantage to color cameras for FSD? So do you think Tesla upgraded purely for the color Dashcam feature (which they didn't commit to anyone), or because color cameras were cheaper?

RCCB cameras were a big improvement in the whole AP universe... So was the Conti radar- 30 feet is a really huge margin of enhanced visibility.

Anyone who is denying the fact is flat out saying Tesla had no reason to switch to HW2.5... which they absolutely did for a ton of reasons. HW2 cars (mine included) are quickly getting marked as the runts of the pack. The HW upgrades cannot come soon enough.

Reactions: pilotSteve
reckon the must be a problem with HW3 supply at the moment as some new cars seem to be getting shipped with AP2.5 unless they have FSD. Once that's sorted and the Coronavirus under control then expect HW3 upgrades to restart.
Doesnt look like AP2.0 owners will be getting cameraand/or radar upgrades though which is a shame as this will be a bunch of early adopters left a bit behind.