Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD as a separate item

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi first time post:)

I have my SR+ on order but did not order FSD, at least because I object to paying stamp duty on this amount.

But @elonmusk has tweeted that the price will rise again (Aug 16 from memory) before the deliveries commence in Aus.

I enquired with Tesla this morning whether FSD can be ordered as a separate item before the car has been delivered. The woman I spoke with said she didn't think so. She also couldn't confirm that the price is actually rising, which is typical Tesla IMHO.

Anyway I would have thought it should be possible, particularly once a VIN has been assigned to my order. Anyone have any ideas? Tesla should make an effort to assist the avoidance of mindless tax for no good reason. They've done it with EV incentives, eg in Canada?

Good bloody luck!
I wanted all weather mats for my X when I placed the order but refused to add anymore on to my final invoice (increases LCT & Stamp Duty). Until I received the car they refused to allow me to reserve/pay for/hold any accessories.
I lost my *sugar* at them and threatened to cancel my order over $600 mats, they managed to sort something out and managed to get them when I picked up the car.
That and as @conman said, Tesla US dont give a crap about us.

I have my SR+ on order but did not order FSD, at least because I object to paying stamp duty on this amount.

But @elonmusk has tweeted that the price will rise again (Aug 16 from memory) before the deliveries commence in Aus.

I enquired with Tesla this morning whether FSD can be ordered as a separate item before the car has been delivered. The woman I spoke with said she didn't think so. She also couldn't confirm that the price is actually rising, which is typical Tesla IMHO.

Anyway I would have thought it should be possible, particularly once a VIN has been assigned to my order. Anyone have any ideas? Tesla should make an effort to assist the avoidance of mindless tax for no good reason. They've done it with EV incentives, eg in Canada?
The above replies seem a bit negative, most people have a good delivery experience. Tesla is disorganised, but they try their best.
As far as I know, you can buy FSD after you get your car at any time. Software purchases usually take effect within 24 hours of purchase.

I asked this exact same question last Friday. The Tesla rep was very good. She suggested I put in the FSD and then decide on delivery whether I wanted it. Two problems: That would have put me at the back of the queue because it was a new order and I would have had to pay luxury car tax and stamp duty on it which would have made the $8500 option more than $14,000. I do not think it likely (but this is the gamble) that the price increase between now and when it is delivered is going to be that much. So I will wait until after delivery to purchase FSD, if at all.

I have FSD on my order (to hold the price at $7100), but intend to cancel when they allocate a VIN to me, and re-order immediately after registration. I hope they will allow me to keep the original $7100 cost.
But if FSD goes up another U$1000 on 16/8/19 as Elon tweeted, and I have to re-order at the then current price, this strategy will not save anything. But at least Tesla will get the money not LCT.
FSD is only a firmware update and can be activated over the air.

Tesla, like most companies, have no interest in being part of any tax avoidance scheme. No point in inviting yourself to a jail term.
I’d be buying FSD after you have the car and after it has sufficient features to justify the cost on the day. You may indeed find that such a purchase may not happen on your first tesla. My first tesla not only never recieved the promised full self driving, it was also found to never be capable.

Reactions: youmi
Tesla, like most companies, have no interest in being part of any tax avoidance scheme. No point in inviting yourself to a jail term.
I’d be buying FSD after you have the car and after it has sufficient features to justify the cost on the day. You may indeed find that such a purchase may not happen on your first tesla. My first tesla not only never recieved the promised full self driving, it was also found to never be capable.
If it were a tax avoidance issue, Tesla would already be guilty as they already offer the option after purchase without tax being payable.

The only issue I have raised is the point at which Tesla can organise themselves to sell the option. Truth be known, it could just be a voucher valid to upgrade any car. The point at which the transaction takes place is irrelevant imho.

I have FSD on my order (to hold the price at $7100), but intend to cancel when they allocate a VIN to me, and re-order immediately after registration. I hope they will allow me to keep the original $7100 cost.
@Techno-phile I'm guessing you haven't taken delivery yet - Have you spoken to Tesla about whether they will let you remove FSD without trashing your whole order & sending you to the back of the queue?