Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD: auto lane change

Carbonfiber

Aug 2, 2020
Los Angeles
Do you still check the mirrors/look over shoulder when doing a lane change on auto pilot?

Also I always take the car off auto pilot when merging. Still don’t trust it in certain situations. How’s everyone’s experience with the merging?

jacksonlui

Oct 15, 2020
san diego
I wouldn't trust it either. I still look for merges and specific situations and if there are a lot of cars around. However it does a pretty decent job on it's own. I've found it changes lanes too often and there's no way to turn it off easily. I just go into the setting and set it to require confirmation and then ignore it. It won't let me stay in the HOV lane without annoying me.

Reactions: RSR.M3

kashian

Jan 4, 2021
San Diego
I don't know how the car is supposed to learn, but I let it do everything on its own when I'm by myself to hopefully help it learn. Otherwise, I perform all the dicey maneuvers manually when I have any passengers in the car.

Tam

Nov 25, 2012
Visalia, CA
Do you still check the mirrors/look over shoulder when doing a lane change on auto pilot?

Also I always take the car off auto pilot when merging. Still don’t trust it in certain situations. How’s everyone’s experience with the merging?

It's still beta and not to be trusted.

mark95476

Jun 21, 2020
Bay Area CA
Yes, always. It doesn't cut people off, however, and will wait until it's clear.

jpfive

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Oct 31, 2019
Pensacola, FL

This is my practice as well. :)

stirfryguy

Apr 22, 2021
Chicago
I always check before it does anything. I've noticed that FSD has issues with left turns. It cuts into the lane to late (it passes the opening and passes over the white solid line). Have you noticed that at all?

Monkey187

Jul 23, 2021
Massachusetts
Today I was in a left lane in FSD and told Tesla to move into right lane. Just as I signaled, a car pulled into right lane from a highway entrance. The screen flashed red, Tesla stayed in lane (as it should) and I waited to either overtake the other car or for it to overtake me, then change lanes. Instead Tesla suddenly braked, hard. I accelerated and took over. Is this a normal behavior in such situations?

WADan

Sep 28, 2020
Bellevue WA
Not sure if this has been posted. Mercedes is coming out level 3 autopilot.

I am underwhelmed as it only runs on geofenced highway up to 60km/hr with all the expensive equipments.
I think Tesla’s FSD beats this hand down. What do you all think?

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC