Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD automatically cleans clean windshield.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My brand new Model Y also does this. Not all the time but often enough to be really annoying.

I turn off AP, use turn off wipers voice command, initiate AP, sometimes have to do this twice (most of the times this works). Other times I just ignore it and accept it.

Here is an easy software fix: ‘Turn off wipers’ voice command while AP=true, overrides auto wipers on AP.

If someone uses that voice command and it’s actually raining and/or AP really can’t see, car can do takeover immediately….

Reactions: whitecat
I have experienced this as well, but only right after a car wash. The glass is clean and dry, but FSD Beta will clean the window anyway. However, if I let it dry for a bit, it doesn't do it. I understand that it's vision only for the wipers, but anecdotally there must be some other sensor that checks for moisture as the wipers and everything below the wipers are very wet for awhile.

I too experience the same every time I leave the car wash, my assumption is that the soap used in the car wash leaves a transparent film on the glass that cameras/sensors perceives as dirt and proceeds with cleaning it.

In your case, I would assume that your wiper fluid might be the one leaving this film on the glass, triggering the cleaning every time you use it. I would suggest you try using a different fluid, the most basic, non formulated fluid available.

In your case, I would assume that your wiper fluid might be the one leaving this film on the glass, triggering the cleaning every time you use it. I would suggest you try using a different fluid, the most basic, non formulated fluid available.

I literally have never filled my own washer fluid and it has only been filled by Tesla Service centers.

Yup, same here!. I’m going to put the wipers in manual rather than auto ( i’m in NV, chances of rain in July/ august….Ha!) will report after the next car wash…
Happened to me again, last night, at the same stoplight, while on FSD beta about 2-3 mins after exiting the manual car wash. Happened a dozen times over the last year through various FSD beta versions.

I report it each time and yet it's not fixed.

There is no point of reporting this cleaning behavior. I am sure the system is just doing an initial calibration of the bad pixel maps of the cameras. They might have stored the last known map and comparing with the new to see if there is a need to remap.

My wipers were going crazy one day (FSD not engaged)...it turns out there were raindrop sized dirt spots on the windshield over the cameras..a quick clean and everything was back to normal.
So, is there some mark, on the outside or inside of the windshield....or even a defect in the glass...perhaps not that visible to the human eye, but in certain situations such as the sun glinting on it etc it triggers the wipers

There is no point of reporting this cleaning behavior. I am sure the system is just doing an initial calibration of the bad pixel maps of the cameras. They might have stored the last known map and comparing with the new to see if there is a need to remap.
Interesting idea. Maybe it's timed based since it happens whenever I'm stopped at a specific red light coming back from the car wash? But it doesn't happen if the traffic light is green and I'm continuing down the road. So maybe it's location based? I know it's not the position of the sun or light levels as it's happened in all four seasons here in Chicago at different times of the day.

Reactions: boonedocks
In my subjective opinion it seems to be sun refraction/angle off of clean glass. It seems that maybe when the sun is at the just right angle it creates a "hazy" look on the clean glass that to the camera creates the illusion that it needs cleaning. for me it has always happened with a clean windshield and in the sun except a couple of times when my windshield was actually dirty.

What ever the cause we do need Tesla to implement some "Deep Clean" work.o_O😅

Last edited:
In my subjective opinion it seems to be sun refraction/angle off of clean glass. It seems that maybe when the sun is at the just right angle it creates a "hazy" look on the clean glass that to the camera creates the illusion that it needs cleaning. for me it has always happened with a clean windshield and in the sun except a couple of times when my windshield was actually dirty.

What ever the cause we do need Tesla to implement some "Deep Clean" work.o_O😅
Perhaps the "clean" windshield isn't as clean as you think. There may be a thin film of window cleaning chemicals left on the window after the water in the solution has evaporated. You may not see it, but it might cause some diffraction, or haze, in the cameras, especially if they see into the infrared spectrum.

It might be an interesting experiment to use a little alcohol and a lens cleaning tissue to go over the glass in front of the cameras before leaving the car wash. See if that makes a difference.

Perhaps the "clean" windshield isn't as clean as you think. There may be a thin film of window cleaning chemicals left on the window after the water in the solution has evaporated. You may not see it, but it might cause some diffraction, or haze, in the cameras, especially if they see into the infrared spectrum.

It might be an interesting experiment to use a little alcohol and a lens cleaning tissue to go over the glass in front of the cameras before leaving the car wash. See if that makes a difference.
I'm very particular about my cleanings. After a wash, I spray the car, focusing on the cameras and windshield, with distilled water. Flushes off residue left by the wash, and leaves everything spot free.

• Love
Reactions: boonedocks

I hand wash my own car and no one else has ever touched it plus it has NEVER seen a Car Wash. About >10 years ago I had a MINI Copper JCW and had it serviced and they ran it through their Car Wash and I throw a fit. I even did a full ceramic coating with paint correction on my Model 3 myself (and my Cadillac ELR before). So I know what is used my car and glass.

IMG_0598.jpeg

IMG_0593.jpeg

Last edited: