Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD automatically cleans clean windshield.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
at least you had one night a clean car. Mine does it just after the car wash on the way home....🤦‍♂️
Mine does too until it's totally dry. Even when I think it's dry after a wash, it does it. However, if I wait a few hours, especially in hot sunlight, it works fine. Makes me think there is some other sensor besides just the camera, detecting moisture.

Reactions: boonedocks
Mine does too until it's totally dry. Even when I think it's dry after a wash, it does it. However, if I wait a few hours, especially in hot sunlight, it works fine. Makes me think there is some other sensor besides just the camera, detecting moisture.
Sadly that’s after it has been dried AND I have tried cleaning the exterior windows with windex before leaving the car wash

Sadly that’s after it has been dried AND I have tried cleaning the exterior windows with windex before leaving the car wash
My only thought is that the wipers and below the wipers in the trough there could be some sensor - so the window is clean and dry, but the trough has water still in it... I'm guessing at this point, as it seems totally anecdotal at this point. If you wash your car and don't use AP/NoA/FSD for 24 hours, does it work correctly?

One time after a light rain...the windshield was covered in dust in a raindrop pattern....that sent the automatic wipers into crazy mode...and they returned to normality after I cleaned the camera

If your car is at least a year old then chances are your windshield has developed that annoying haze/film on the interior surface. That same haze will form on the glass in front of the 3 forward-facing cameras too. It's hard to see from the outside of the car - the lighting has to be just right - but it's probably there. Most of the time it won't affect FSD but it can happen. Especially when the car is facing in the direction of the sun or a bright light. My spotless windshield was getting auto-cleaned twice a day and it was making me crazy, so I disassembled the housing and cleaned the interior glass in front of the cameras. Problem solved. No more random auto cleanings on a clean windshield. There are good youtube vids that show how to remove the camera housing, and there is also the definitive source on how to clean the inside of your windshield (see Chris Fix's youtube channel).