Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD back at sale prices

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla have dropped the price of FSD again. It is $4300 if I choose to add to my Tesla account. Last time Elon tried this I called his bluff. I said I wasn’t going to spend good money on a unicorn. Now I am losing my nerve. What if he puts the price up again? Its like a game of poker and I dont know what Elon has in his hand. Should I fold, call or raise the stakes?

Tesla have dropped the price of FSD again. It is $4300 if I choose to add to my Tesla account. Last time Elon tried this I called his bluff. I said I wasn’t going to spend good money on a unicorn. Now I am losing my nerve. What if he puts the price up again? Its like a game of poker and I dont know what Elon has in his hand. Should I fold, call or raise the stakes?
Depends if you actually want FSD or do you enjoy driving?

Depends if you think you will still own the car when it comes out and actually works in Australia. I’m sticking with the poker game.

The WA authorities (at least) want to see FSD available as soon as possible. But we will certainly still have to drive the car initially, in the sense of being responsible and having hands on wheels.
They have a unit following progress but will only allow transfer of responsibility from the driver to the car when the data showed that driving with FSD is sufficiently safer than without. This will have to demonstrated under Australian conditions also.
Is anybody talking to the authorities in other States? Several owners in Perth have taken the top officers from the relevant authorities on two drive days in the last year.
Even if you sell a car before all FSD is available or before you can legally take your hands off, the car should be worth more to the buyer.

• Informative
Reactions: BenT
The WA authorities (at least) want to see FSD available as soon as possible. But we will certainly still have to drive the car initially, in the sense of being responsible and having hands on wheels.
They have a unit following progress but will only allow transfer of responsibility from the driver to the car when the data showed that driving with FSD is sufficiently safer than without. This will have to demonstrated under Australian conditions also.
Is anybody talking to the authorities in other States? Several owners in Perth have taken the top officers from the relevant authorities on two drive days in the last year.
Even if you sell a car before all FSD is available or before you can legally take your hands off, the car should be worth more to the buyer.
Nobody knows for sure that are car with FSD will be worth more to a buyer. No such car has ever been sold, and given tesla version 1,2, and 2.5...and indeed 3 were all sold as being future capable, but turns out they wern’t, its a big leap of faith to think a current model 3, s, or x will be.

Nobody knows for sure that are car with FSD will be worth more to a buyer. No such car has ever been sold, and given tesla version 1,2, and 2.5...and indeed 3 were all sold as being future capable, but turns out they wern’t, its a big leap of faith to think a current model 3, s, or x will be.

If I were buying a second hand car, and one had FSD (with HW3 or a free upgrade to HW3), and the other didn't, I know which I would pay more for!
Of course when exactly FSD will be delivered is uncertain, and it may just be a series of improvements and added features over an extended period of time.
I am on the early access programme so am looking forward to trying the features out when they become available.
As long as the car has its own licence before I am too old to have one.

Elon tweeted “V10 will include several games & infotainment features, improved highway Autopilot, better traffic light & stop sign recognition & Smart Summon." This is supposed to be for August release in USA at least.

Got any ideas who are the actual people in charge of autonomy in VIC? More than happy to contact them and find out more about how far along the process we are...

My guess is even with FSD enabled - it will be several years of FSD with 'hands on wheel' before the governing bodies even allow L4.

Obviously us over year are lagging at 1-2 years behind the what they get in the US. I'm hoping NoA will be coming to us before end of the year however not sure the 'Sale Price' for EAP to FSD upgrade is worth it right now. I'd probably invest the $4300 in TSLA shares and sit on that for the next year (or however long) that we are actually waiting for FSD to come out. Might come out ahead!

...No new FSD features released on early access programme yet...

That depends on the definition of FSD.

Current AP without FSD can only do 2 things:

1) TACC
2) Autosteer within your lane

Anything currently more than that is FSD such as:

3A) Auto Lane Change: Manually turn on the left signal and the car would do the rest to get to the next lane.

3B) Autopilot on Navigation: Rollout depending on which countries

4) AutoPark

5) Simple Summon (not 150 foot summon)

Those functions have been available as EAP for those who got the production before March 2019.

But now, 3 through 5 are FSD for the rest who didn't beat the deadline above.

I guess 3 to 5 are not "new" but they are currently the difference between AP and FSD.

Of course, "new" FSD for future V10 will be:

6) Smart 150 foot summon
7) Lights and Signs compliance
8) City Automatic Driving

Thanks for that list of FSD features.
Very confusing when EAP can refer both to the Early Access Program(me) and to Enhanced AutoPilot. Lucky the latter is no more.

I was only commenting on the early access programme in Australia.
We don't have 3B in Australia yet, and I don't suppose we will get 6,7,8 in August when you get it in USA.

• Informative
Reactions: Tam
I was only commenting on the early access programme in Australia.

Yup. This is what I was referring to. So it's almost of absolutely no benefit for Aussie's to be a part for the Early Access Program as everything still has to pass through regulations anyway - and by the time it does, it's likely to be available to everyone else anyway.

I wonder how they are getting around this in the US. Probably no where near the amount of hoops to jump through than our nanny state/country