Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Beta 10.10 Release Notes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Upgraded from 10.8.1 to 10.10.2 last night, and after a couple of zero intervention drives I'm pretty damn impressed.

Pros:
*Moving over into turn lanes is noticeably smoother/less jerky.
*No phantom braking so far (was fairly common on 10.8.1 and earlier).
*Better (still not perfect) on the unmarked roads in my neighborhood. Less hesitant, and does a better job of hugging the right side of the road when there are no parked cars.

Con:
*Honestly, on those two drives (each 5 miles of suburban driving), there was only one situation where it felt like a human wasn't driving and other drivers might get annoyed - left and right unprotected turns with potential cross traffic. I say 'with potential cross traffic' because an 'unprotected' left turn on a green light is very confident and smooth, because the traffic on either side has a red light and the forward facing cameras seem very confident about the perception of oncoming traffic. It's when the car has to look for cross traffic that it take way too long - much longer than a human driver. I wonder if Tesla has 'hard coded' additional caution for these turns (as they are the most dangerous). Or if there is something about the B pillar cams and related NNs that just isn't up to the task, whereas the forward facing cameras are.

If they get the unprotected left/right turns figured out, I think most of my daily suburban drives could become zero intervention on a regular basis. I'm pretty excited!

FWIW this isn't ENTIRELY true- they do download independently, but there's been at least a few times a software update was dependent on the maps having already updated to a specific version, and until they did you wouldn't get the newer SW.
I can confirm this happen to me as well. I was driving when notice the download icon. When pressed, it brings me to the map update, but no SW update was available.

I tried a few more time when I get home and waited about 30 min to see if SW update would show up. Then finally upgrade the map. Then after another 10-30 mins, I check the app and SW update was there. (Didn’t get notification this time)

I updated to the 10.10.2 yesterday, drove it about 15 miles today over familiar routes and saw significant regression in ability to turn onto freeway on-ramps, increased phantom braking, needing to press the accelerator due to hesitancy at stop signs/stoplights (not seen on prior software) and increased need to correct in turns/messages alerting to take control. One improvement was accelerating and braking was smoother around stoplights.

They've rolled 10.10 out to about 18% of the beta population. That was over a week ago. At that point, they stopped distributing it to any more cars. No one knows why, but there has been a lot of speculation in this thread and others if you want to seek it out. Most of us assume that no one else will be updated until the next release, and no one knows when that will be, nor what version it will be.

Tesla's PR department consists of one guy (or maybe 2 or 3) with a Twitter account, and no recent information is available there.
I’m on 44.30.5 (FSD 10.8.1) and just got notified of an update to 44.30.21 (FSD 10.10.2) yesterday.

I haven’t installed it yet to know what the differences are. There were some recalls (essentially bug fixes) so it may just be that.

Very frustrating test drive of 10.10.2 today on a standard route I use for each version. FSD beta had a bad tendency to try to jump into inappropriate lanes to dodge a line of traffic at a light. I've had it try to go into an oncoming lane as well as left and right turn lanes. It appears that the current code does a poor job in assessing whether the stopped traffic is at a light, or just an impediment.

Also had some curious cases where the car just decided to gently slow way down and would not hold speed when I used the accelerator. This was well under the displayed speed limit and current max speed on the display. After disengaging and reengaging FSD, the problem cleared up.

Had one bad case where I had to encourage FSD to turn left onto a busy one way street followed by FSD refusing to accelerate and trying to slow to a stop even though it was fully in the lane with nothing in front of it.

Several cases where FSD would suddenly jerk the wheel to the right then back left for no apparent reason. It was not trying to change lanes. Felt like it was trying to avoid something in the road.

I am perplexed as to why FSD still cannot make a smooth right hand turn at an intersection. As often as not, FSD will initially turn to shallow, then halfway through the turn jerk the car to the right.

A few minor PB events on a two lane road at 60 MPH on FSD plus one full blown gran mal PB event complete with loud beeping as I approached a right hand bend on a two lane highway with an approaching pickup truck coming around the bend ahead of me. Several other cases of mystery warning beeps with no braking and no notification.

Prior to testing, I had cleaned the cameras, had done a camera calibration and a reboot of the MCU. But, based on this drive, and a couple other shorter ones, I don't think that this version is a step forward.

First drive on FSD Beta 10.10.2. Still got some phantom braking that appears to be due to shadows on the road. Lane changes and turns are much smoother although it did take a right turn too wide and crossed the middle lane line. It also made a specific right turn from a high speed road to a low speed road much better than it has in the past. However, there was a large puddle in the middle road that seemed to confuse the car because I got the big red steering wheel alert in the middle of the turn.

Several days driving 10.10.2 both city and long range seems significantly improved in both turning and confidence. No slow down events to note and rather impressed with the smoothness in turning now especially right turns. Left turns still have some caution but nothing radical. No warnings though I did disconnect on one road where I seen snow areas covering lane markings and used common sense not to assume it would figure it out. Overall rather impressed with the continuous progression. Looking back at the first beta releases we are clearly headed the right direction.

Reactions: JeremyJ
Can Tesla please allow the option to disable automatic lane changes on the FSD beta stack like you can on the highway AP stack?
Last night, I was driving down Santa Monica Blvd for a few miles on Chill mode and it got over into the furthest lane from the highway entrance I needed to get on a half mile down the road, and then immediately tried getting back to where it was 4 seconds ago. :rolleyes:

I really just want TACC and lane keeping but with the FSD stack because the regular AP stack is just too slow and freaks out a lot.

Reactions: GranularHail
Can Tesla please allow the option to disable automatic lane changes on the FSD beta stack like you can on the highway AP stack?
Last night, I was driving down Santa Monica Blvd for a few miles on Chill mode and it got over into the furthest lane from the highway entrance I needed to get on a half mile down the road, and then immediately tried getting back to where it was 4 seconds ago. :rolleyes:

I really just want TACC and lane keeping but with the FSD stack because the regular AP stack is just too slow and freaks out a lot.
Hmmmm disable lane changes in a beta test for steering. Sounds like a wise option request. Lol

Went from 10.8 to 10.10.2, and much like every other aspect of AP/FSD, it continues to get worse with every release. I don’t know how the YouTubers are finding magical roads where FSD does well, since it is simply unable to handle even the simplest no-traffic right turn in my area without trying to snap my neck with alternate braking and acceleration. I simply do not allow it to negotiate basically any traffic situations because it’s so unpredictable. Lane selection in NOA and FSD is still hot ****ing garbage, (it’ll merge into the left lane and block faster traffic for no reason with a right hand turn less than a half-mile ahead,) and it vacillates wildly between brisk acceleration from a stop (which is fine) and an absolute refusal to follow another car at less than fifteen car lengths, despite follow distance being set to minimum. Due to that problem specifically, it’s now almost completely useless in Miami highway traffic, as it just gets bullied by the meat drivers surrounding it, so I have to override it constantly, even if I’m technically not “intervening.” Overall, I use FSD a lot less now on surface streets than I did when it was just “dumb” lane assist.

Which you know, actually WORKED.

Also it still rolls stop signs, which I’m fine with but is DEEPLY amusing given the recent drama about that point.

If you ever get a chance it would be interesting to see it roll through a stop sign from an external view. Personally I think people made too much of that entire thing. Humans roll stop signs all the time without even realizing it.

As to FSD Beta performance I've seen it get better, but for me its no where close to being useable.

I think most of the good FSD Beta experiences are in CA.

Hmmmm disable lane changes in a beta test for steering. Sounds like a wise option request. Lol

They could have a "only change lanes for navigation" function where it minimized lane changes.

On my way to work there are two multi-lane highways with lights where the right lane is worthless. It's worthless as its filled with buses and drainage or man hole covers that aren't even with the pavement so they act as potholes. So unless you absolutely have to be in the right lane you don't bother with it.

Reactions: Acisplat