Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Beta 10.11

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think it was probably by design. Similar to what happened with 10.6 and 10.9, I think they have some releases (maybe most) that they only want to rollout to the hardcore 9000 or so beta testers. The rest of the 47,000 of us that selected the button were just given FSD Beta to appease the masses and show progress. I don't think the feedback from all 56,000 "testers" is actually being used.
It's more likely they are doing comparative testing where they are using drivers on older firmware as control/baseline to compare against users with newer builds. These are testing build, not production so you don't want everyone on the newest firmware so that you'd have data to generate deltas in performance metrics and track progress.

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
It's more likely they are doing comparative testing where they are using drivers on older firmware as control/baseline to compare against users with newer builds. These are testing build, not production so you don't want everyone on the newest firmware so that you'd have data to generate deltas in performance metrics and track progress.
But as I wrote earlier, you want most of your testers to be on the latest version and some people on the older version for comparison. Not the other way - unless you find some issues.

Maybe, but it's not necessarily as easy as it sounds to do that comparison testing because it's not a blind test, so there may be biases in the data. For example, I take over for situations I know FSD will perform poorly at if I'm not on the latest version, and I don't bother emailing Tesla about issues with an outdated FSD version.

Reactions: Bpseattle and EVNow
I think many are over thinking it. It likely just an unusual but small bug or unintended action/reaction Tesla didn't like. In the end we can all pull all the less than conjecture we want but in all liklyhood this is the way it will play out.

• This weekend or next week Tesla will release 10.11.x and it will go to everyone in a week or 2
  • Tesla will not announce anything and we will never know anymore than we know today
  • We will all move on and "forget" 10.11 and this likely same process will happen again when 11.x is released

I think many are over thinking it. It likely just an unusual but small bug or unintended action/reaction Tesla didn't like. In the end we can all pull all the less than conjecture we want but in all liklyhood this is the way it will play out.

• This weekend or next week Tesla will release 10.11.x and it will go to everyone in a week or 2
  • Tesla will not announce anything and we will never know anymore than we know today
  • We will all move on and "forget" 10.11 and this likely same process will happen again when 11.x is released
If you look at the history ... only once has Tesla released a dot version 2 weeks after a release. But that was during the year end - and the release went out to everyone (10.8 to 10.8.1).

So, this would be an unusual release if they come up with a dot release next week. So, here is my take
- 10.11 has some issues, but not severe enough for a dot release fix. So, they decided not to roll it out to everyone
- This weekend they release 10.12 which will go to everyone next week, including new testers in US & Canada

BTW, this year, major releases are taking a month unlike last year.

Personally prefer 1 month releases with noticeable improvements rather than 2 week releases with questionable changes ;)

Wiki - FSD Beta release history

1647887859417.png

Reactions: edseloh
If you look at the history ... only once has Tesla released a dot version 2 weeks after a release. But that was during the year end - and the release went out to everyone (10.8 to 10.8.1).

So, this would be an unusual release if they come up with a dot release next week. So, here is my take
- 10.11 has some issues, but not severe enough for a dot release fix. So, they decided not to roll it out to everyone
- This weekend they release 10.12 which will go to everyone next week, including new testers in US & Canada
Don't disagree but as far as we know 10.11.1 or 10.12 might be mostly an exercise in semantics. Since as you have even mentioned that a lot of 11.x went into 10.11 because Stack integration was incomplete. There may not be a lot for 10.12 since most "hands on deck" may be Stack integrating for 11.x.

Hell it all started with 1 and two weeks later it was 2. Don't think we even started getting subversions until about 8. Now it seems with every version there are more subversions. Can you see 13.69?:oops:🤣

BTW, this year, major releases are taking a month unlike last year.

Personally prefer 1 month releases with noticeable improvements rather than 2 week releases with questionable changes ;)

Wiki - FSD Beta release history

View attachment 784005
I'll agree that 4 weeks between releases is better than every 2 weeks. After 2 weeks, the dust has hardly settled.

I follow SpaceX very closely as well and it's pretty funny that nobody knows what is going on their either. Gee maybe Elon likes it that way!!. But at least we can watch pretty much everything at Boca Chica.

SpaceX is an amazing story. In some ways more interesting then Tesla. Now if I could just buy some SpaceX stock to add to my Tesla position I'd be extremely happy.

Reactions: Bpseattle
But if the release is simply to test code changes for a limited list of fixes/enhancements, they don't need the wider fleet to do that. The data they are collecting from the wider fleet for further training works whether they have the latest FSD Beta release or not. However, if they rollout some broader release - maybe one that touches fundamental video processing or 8 camera fusion - they can roll that out to everybody in order to rebuild their training data on the new video processing platform.
It’s lot more difficult to keep changing the process esp. based on something nebulous like “limited list of enhancements “.

Anyway, 10.11 has very basic changes with broad implications like the first point. Definitely makes sense to get everyone to use it. Infact 10.11 has more basic changes than almost all previous “major” releases.

What roll, if any, do FSD beta drive suspensions strikes play in whether a driver is included in a future update release pool?

I received my first out of 5 strikes today, so I"m curious if that puts me in some *sugar* list. I contemplated pulling a Ferris Bueller type move by driving my car in reverse while it sits on blocks, in hopes that it can reverse the strike. However, I'm not sure that can fool Tesla's AI.

What roll, if any, do FSD beta drive suspensions strikes play in whether a driver is included in a future update release pool?

I received my first out of 5 strikes today, so I"m curious if that puts me in some *sugar* list. I contemplated pulling a Ferris Bueller type move by driving my car in reverse while it sits on blocks, in hopes that it can reverse the strike. However, I'm not sure that can fool Tesla's AI.
you should be fine
I had a strike and it doesn't matter unless you get 5.

I find it dumb that while on NAV on the freeway, I can't look at the screen to find the best supercharger without it telling me to pay attention
I learned that when it says that, simply disengage autopilot, drive for 5-10 sec, and re engage

Reactions: EVJAutoJunkie
you should be fine
I had a strike and it doesn't matter unless you get 5.

I find it dumb that while on NAV on the freeway, I can't look at the screen to find the best supercharger without it telling me to pay attention
I learned that when it says that, simply disengage autopilot, drive for 5-10 sec, and re engage
so weird….I can look at the screen all day long and never get told to pay attention. The only time it has happened to me is when I’m looking at something outside the car too long, such as a billboard or lake to be precise. otherwise I have never been warned.