Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Beta 10.11

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
May be I should make a poll … seems to me the current FSD beta has hit a ceiling. We aren’t really seeing much noticeable progress in the last few releases.

What do you guys think ?
Sure. I would agree, I haven’t seen noticeable progress. Some things get a little better and others get a little worse. I wonder how the FSD team perceives this progress.

I still encounter some places where FSD is regressed over non-FSD Autosteer. There is a road here with a lot of poorly marked lane edges/shoulder, and FSD will keep confidently pulling halfway into road shoulder, then it "sees" the lane edge again, and re-centers itself, over and over. There's basically no temporal stability. The visualization shows the red line jumping around all over the place. Oddly enough it's a lot more stable in rain or night, in bright sun it goes nuts. I used to use basic Autosteer everyday on this road and had no issues.

Anyway I'm just surprised the driving policy is so basic at this stage, like it seems to just take the output from their lanes network and try to center itself. The lanes model seems much more advanced than the older versions, like it's in 3D instead of 2D and handles intersections and complicated geometry, but the control policy still acts like a lane assist system, not a human-like driver.

Last edited:
The two roads where this happens are both 35 mph with good signage. One of the roads has good lane lines and then a recently repaired area with no lines. Car always brakes to 27 and tries to ride the center.
Hmm, hadn't noticed this before, but my car does the same on FSD. ...makes me wonder if internally the car is thinking 12 meters per second.

Reactions: Wnuk
10.11.2 is a major regression for me, at least on my first few drives. Having said that, those drives occurred at night in the rain... So we'll see what happens today. But basic right-hand turns that haven't been an issue AT ALL for several months were a nightmare last night. Not just one, several of them. The most egregious example was when I was approaching a "T" intersection. Going straight was not an option, there is no road there. Mapping showed the correct right-hand turn, but the car approached and entered the intersection at full speed, appeared to want to drive straight into a telephone pole, and then panicked at the last second and started jerking the wheel around. I grabbed the wheel and slammed on the brakes. It was one that was so bad that my wife in the passenger seat yelled "Just drive the damn car before it kills us!"

Last edited:
May be I should make a poll … seems to me the current FSD beta has hit a ceiling. We aren’t really seeing much noticeable progress in the last few releases.

What do you guys think ?
100% agree. I keep seeing tweets of "major" improvements. But in my actual personal experience (Minnesota country and city driving) with each update, I feel like it has been a step forward and a step backward. As some of you joke about, my WAF (wife acceptance factor) hasn't improved much since a couple big jumps a few months ago. I did have an entire hour drive from country to city uninterrupted over Thanksgiving and that was the last time I was able to accomplish it. That was many versions ago!

I still encounter some places where FSD is regressed over non-FSD Autosteer. There is a road here with a lot of poorly marked lane edges/shoulder, and FSD will keep confidently pulling halfway into road shoulder, then it "sees" the lane edge again, and re-centers itself, over and over. There's basically no temporal stability. The visualization shows the red line jumping around all over the place. Oddly enough it's a lot more stable in rain or night, in bright sun it goes nuts. I used to use basic Autosteer everyday on this road and had no issues.
While I can't yet speak to Beta (fingers crossed I eventually get into the program), I drive the same interstate offramp while on NoA daily on my commute to work....Its a single lane that is very wide and goes under a bridge, but doesn't have almost any visible markings on the road edges. Before the last map update, AP would go nuts and disengage every time. After the map update, it seems to handle the road correctly about 50% of the time (with the other 50% seeming like its going to swerve offroad into a guardrail). However, if it recently rained (or is raining), its success rate has been 100%.....I'm assuming its something to do with the road appearing darker and the vision system being able to better differentiate the road vs shoulder.

Reactions: bizi
10.11.2 is a major regression for me, at least on my first few drives. Having said that, those drives occurred at night in the rain... So we'll see what happens today. But basic right-hand turns that haven't been an issue AT ALL for several months were a nightmare last night. Not just one, several of them. The most egregious example was when I was approaching a "T" intersection. Going straight was not an option, there is no road there. Mapping showed the correct right-hand turn, but the car approached and entered the intersection at full speed, appeared to want to drive straight into a telephone pole, and then panicked at the last second and started jerking the wheel around. I grabbed the wheel and slammed on the brakes. It was one that was so bad that my wife in the passenger seat yelled "Just drive the damn car before it kills us!"
Shouldn’t your hands already be on the wheel?

So the usual drive today on 10.11.2 started off smooth. Less phantom braking. The new weird thing it’s been doing is trying to turn into right hand turning lanes while navigation is indicating to keep going straight. At one point I let Jesus take the wheel to see what it would do and it sent me into the turning lane of a development at 65mph. There was no braking applied by FSD and it didn’t try to correct itself to go back into the travel lane. As I was approaching the end of the turning lane it was either wait it out and possibly end up in the grass or jam the brakes. I jammed the brakes and pressed the report button. Not cool.
I'm having similar issue today in the rain. My car is following what ever traffic is doing to the right of me in a turn lane. If they hit the brakes my car hits the brakes. Starts to go into that lane but I hit turn signal to over ride. They slow down I slow down.

TeslaFi shows still over a thousand 10.10.2 beta testers that are three updates behind... the 10.11.2 update seems to have paused at least for the moment as compared to the the last few days, and who really knows why. Historically no new betas are added until the existing beta fleet are all on the same version, so it could be a while before new testers are added. I've been stuck on 10.10.2 for a long time compared to previous versions so I don't hold out much hope of anything happening the way things have been going. Seems to me they are going to stop again with no new additions and leave lots of us behind with the older 10.10.2 version for whatever reason, and fall short of the promises to add new users anytime soon.

Once I post this I fully expect the rollouts to begin again and prove me wrong. I'd really like to see the folks who have been struggling with the safety score thing for months get the beta. I only had to drive three weeks with the SS back in 10/21 before I was "rewarded" so I can only imagine the frustration.