Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Beta 10.11

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My torture test route include two sets of lights with flashing yellow left turns, I've found that it has started to respond to those flashing yellow/yield arrows, especially when coming off a red light or it arrives at an already flashing yellow.
If the transition is green arrow to flashing yellow it freezes
So most of the time it works well.
At least in my area anyway...
I'll have to keep trying.
The typical sequence here is it either goes from red to flashing yellow shortly after the light for the oncoming traffic turns green or you get a green arrow that goes yellow-red, then back to flashing yellow (after the oncoming light turns green) so it shouldn't ever go straight from green to flashing yellow.

Today 10.11.2 was in such deep slumber that even the cameras didn’t work for the first couple miles - all-black output from the reverse and repeater cameras. GPS also broke. Reboot did nothing, but I kept driving. Eventually GPS, cameras, visualizations, and finally FSD came up, halfway to my destination. Maybe a coincidence but just before everything came back I tried to engage AP (unsuccessfully).

Then on the freeway strong phantom braking and a “slowing down due to limited visibility” message on screen despite broad daylight and other cars being in front of me 🙃

Is it me or has FSD beta stuff slowed down recently? No posts from Elon, no new updates or even hints of upcoming ones since 10.11.2 (apart from one mention of 10.12 some time back). Guess Elon got busy with Twitter and maybe with Karpathy out everyone is taking a break at the mother ship?
I would assume that, as they approach the next whole number release, more and more development efforts would be toward that release. If it is able to be driven by employees, they wouldn’t be internally testing the 10.x variants as much. I would expect only some of the items that could be back ported to 10.x would go to us, and all the dev effort would go to 11.

Or, maybe they are realizing that they can’t get the software to work well no matter what they throw at it. 1.2 megapixel midrange cameras from 2017 paired with 14nm processors is a primitive sensor suite paired with a depreciated processor node. For comparison, the m1 max on new MacBook pros have 10x the number of transistors as HW3.0. And I don’t think you can even buy 1.2 megapixel sensors anymore unless you are trying to fit them in the bezel of a bezel-less laptop.

It is fun to watch progress…if progress can be made. I’ll continue to make semi-founded speculative comments until some more hard evidence comes along.

Last edited:
I would assume that, as they approach the next whole number release, more and more development efforts would be toward that release. If it is able to be driven by employees, they wouldn’t be internally testing the 10.x variants as much. I would expect only some of the items that could be back ported to 10.x would go to us, and all the dev effort would go to 11.

Or, maybe they are realizing that they can’t get the software to work well no matter what they throw at it. 1.2 megapixel midrange cameras from 2017 paired with 14nm processors is a primitive sensor suite paired with a depreciated processor node. For comparison, the m1 max on new MacBook pros have 10x the number of transistors as HW3.0. And I don’t think you can even buy 1.2 megapixel sensors anymore unless you are trying to fit them in the bezel of a bezel-less laptop.
Not true, the sensor model Tesla uses is still a current model. Sensor models have a longer life cycle than processors.
AR0132AT: CMOS Image Sensor, 1.2 MP, 1/3"
Heck, you can even still buy 0.3MP (VGA) sensors:
Image Sensors

Reactions: superblast
Not true, the sensor model Tesla uses is still a current model. Sensor models have a longer life cycle than processors.
AR0132AT: CMOS Image Sensor, 1.2 MP, 1/3"
Heck, you can even still buy 0.3MP (VGA) sensors:
Image Sensors
Ha! Good spot. I shouldn’t have made that comment: hyperbole doesn’t come across well in my (poor) writing. I was trying to state that a system designed today would probably use different kit…but…failed.

Thanks for the link to old/low-res (and still sold!) camera modules.

I’ll stop polluting this thread.

Why biggest concern continues to be that bet loves to make lefts on red arrows when the straight lanes are green. That includes when oncoming traffic has a green too.
I haven't had this happen yet but probably because I wasn't the lead car in the left turn lane. I have noticed the green light chime going off when the straight lanes light has turned green but the left turn lane has a red arrow so I'm guessing it would have gone if I was the lead car. Good to be aware of this!

I've been very impressed with 10.11.2 so far otherwise though. It's not ready for prime time yet but it keeps edging closer. One thing I noticed is that it was no longer tripped up with flashing yellow lights for me. There are some flashing yellow lights above the road adjacent to fire stations and FSD would always get into a stop-start cycle as they'd flash but that seemed to go away on this version.

Apologies if this video has already been posted. But here is an informative video of 10.11.2 that shows lots of disengagements. FSD Beta seems to really struggle on unmarked roads. It does much better on well marked major roads.

Apologies if this video has already been posted. But here is an informative video of 10.11.2 that shows lots of disengagements. FSD Beta seems to really struggle on unmarked roads. It does much better on well marked major roads.

I don't see it as any worse on unmarked than previous release, of course everyone's experience is unique.

The last ¾ mile of my drive home is unmarked roads, and FSD fares way better than that video, including a nasty 90 degree blind left bend (really a turn in disguise) that it handles well (stays on the right side of the road).

I took FSD beta on a route this week that included a couple gravel roads. Amazingly, FSD beta did quite well, slowing down to reasonable speeds as conditions warranted. Made me think that the car must use wheel slip data to detect the loose surface.

Strangely, FSD not only did not stay to the right on the gravel roads, it actually ran close to the left side of the road. I drove one road both directions and it did the same thing both ways, so it's not like it was avoiding something. Fortunately, there was no traffic encountered, so the positioning was never a problem other than a bit disconcerting. The roads were quite narrow, barely enough room for two cars to pass, should one have come along. Still. I wonder why the car favored the left side?

• Informative
Reactions: Rusty1
I took FSD beta on a route this week that included a couple gravel roads. Amazingly, FSD beta did quite well, slowing down to reasonable speeds as conditions warranted. Made me think that the car must use wheel slip data to detect the loose surface.

Strangely, FSD not only did not stay to the right on the gravel roads, it actually ran close to the left side of the road. I drove one road both directions and it did the same thing both ways, so it's not like it was avoiding something. Fortunately, there was no traffic encountered, so the positioning was never a problem other than a bit disconcerting. The roads were quite narrow, barely enough room for two cars to pass, should one have come along. Still. I wonder why the car favored the left side?
Tesla just hired a batch of FSD engineers from England

I've given up. I bought a MSP in Jan '22. I have thousands and thousands of miles and a 99 score. I opted out yesterday after traffic came to a sudden halt and I had to use the brakes and got a hard braking penalty. I'm SICK AND TIRED of worrying about braking, how fast I'm making a turn, following distance , and most of all letting cars that couldn't beat me in chill mode race by me and tell at the light off the highway ramp , "I thought those things are supposed to be fast". I'm all set. I didn't buy so that I could not enjoy it. I'll get it when he releases it to the masses of FSD owners , until then I'm going to have fun driving the greatest car ever. Best of luck to you guys waiting for FSD Beta, I hope you get it soon.
I bought my 22 in December. Drove conservatively for 3 weeks and got into beta.

I tried FSD maybe two times until the thrill wore off and I realized how impractical it is.

Not I drive it like I stole it.

Has anyone done any testing with FSD Beta around flashing reds? On 11.2 and previous version, it doesn’t seem to understand it’s a stop sign. It will essentially come to a full stop like a solid red light.
I have had this situational all of last week, driving my kid to school. One light is flashing red and the car has done a stop and go every time. Most of the days I think I've had a lead car and I can't remember if I was ever leading the way. If I have time today I'll go test it out and report back.

• Informative
Reactions: momo3605