Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Beta 10.11

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I did find a fix for the car constantly attempting to move into the left lane - just cancel the route.
Beta will continue to drive just as well, assuming no junctions etc.
Once the trouble spot is passed I restart the route and its happy.
Much more relaxed driving on those routes now.

I’ve been doing something similar for a while.

Specially there’s one route I take every week and the car always was to take me out of the way, in a different direction just to get me on the freeway only then get off the freeway moments later.

So I put in my route and when it gets to a specific intersection I deactivate FSD, make my turn, then active again. Easier (for me) to use the stock to turn on and off instead of canceling route and leaving beta on.

But for a long straight drive I can see how that might be better. I actually use that option while on the freeway so that it doesn’t try to keep changing lanes when I don’t want it to.

Reactions: Rusty1 and Twiglett
We really need route options for “avoid highway” as well as “shortest route”, among others. My 15 year old Audi had them and many other customization options “STILL” missing from Tesla Nav.

I’ve been doing something similar though for a while.

Specially there’s one route I take every week and the car always was to take me out of the way, in a different direction just to get me on the freeway only then get off the freeway moments later.

So I put in my route and when it gets to a specific intersection I deactivate FSD, make my turn, then active again. Easier (for me) to use the stock to turn on and off instead of canceling route and leaving beta on.

But for a long straight drive I can see how that might be better. I actually use that option while on the freeway so that it doesn’t try to keep changing lanes when I don’t want it to.

Apologies if this video has already been posted. But here is an informative video of 10.11.2 that shows lots of disengagements. FSD Beta seems to really struggle on unmarked roads. It does much better on well marked major roads.

I take several small unmarked streets on my way home and this versions 11.2 takes its " half- out of the middle" then it does little bit of " chicken" with on coming cars then moves over proportionally but not after making my neighbors mad . previous version seems to be better that sliding over more to the correct side on unmarked roads, Ive hit the "Clip" button every time it does this wrong or does something unsafe . its like previous loads where things went one step back in return for two steps forward on other issues ( like left turns are significant smoother for me) . here to seeing if it can get that back to staying on its side of the ( un marked) road a bit more

• Funny
Reactions: edseloh and Rusty1
Regardless of build # when it rains while using FSD on the highway more times than not I get the "Poor Weather Detected" warning and FSD becomes limited. Probably happens more than 75% of the time. I was wondering if everyone else is experiencing this as often and what do we think Tesla will do to address this? Software or HW4? Something has to be done to support full Robotaxi service. Of course since it doesn't rain often in parts of California perhaps the FSD engineers don't realize how significant the problem is but they do get stats on this.

Last edited:
Regardless of build # when it rains while using FSD on the highway more times than not I get the "Poor Weather Detected" warning and FSD becomes limited. Probably happens more than 75% of the time. I was wondering if everyone else is experiencing this as often and what do we think Tesla will do to address this? Software or HW4? Something has to be done to support full Robotaxi service. Of course since it doesn't rain often in parts of California perhaps the FSD engineers don't realize how often this happens.
I concur with your experience and concerns. I will add that I think it's actually gotten MORE restrictive with successive builds - One of the earliest versions of FSD allowed me to continue at least once in fairly heavy rain, but it now drops even for relatively minor rainfall.

I find it very odd that Tesla has been saying for years that all their cars have the necessary hardware for FSD, and yet the cameras can't clean themselves, reposition for a better view, or even seem to handle routine hazards like glare and raindrops. I'm not knocking it - it's amazing what they've managed to achieve so far, and I think they're still trying to nail down the big stuff before getting into those sorts of details. But the hardware itself (cameras/sensors/CPU etc.) doesn't seem to be up the task for true FSD, no matter how smart the AI gets...

Regardless of build # when it rains while using FSD on the highway more times than not I get the "Poor Weather Detected" warning and FSD becomes limited. Probably happens more than 75% of the time. I was wondering if everyone else is experiencing this as often and what do we think Tesla will do to address this? Software or HW4? Something has to be done to support full Robotaxi service. Of course since it doesn't rain often in parts of California perhaps the FSD engineers don't realize how significant the problem is but they do get stats on this.
In city FSD, recent builds are better than earlier builds. I get "poor weather detected" but rarely is the FSD turning off recently. Used to turn off FSD at the mere hint of a few drops earlier.

I’ve actually gotten ‘poor weather detected - FSD unavailable’ due to light-moderate rain. (The wipers were on the ‘normal’ setting while driving at highway speeds)

It’s true - robo taxis won’t become a reality until they can handle inclement weather, but living in MN and dealing with snow storms I’ve known this for a long time and have no illusions about the imminence of cars without steering wheels.

In city FSD, recent builds are better than earlier builds. I get "poor weather detected" but rarely is the FSD turning off recently. Used to turn off FSD at the mere hint of a few drops earlier.
Odd...my experience has been the opposite. Early builds let me at least try to use FSD in heavy rain, and it actually performed about as well as "normal" for that build. Since probably 10.8, though, I can't even begin to try it because it just quits on me.

Being in Seattle you likely have encountered this more than I. But I have noticed the same behavior in Austin with the light rain we have been getting every day lately. I get the poor weather and FSD degraded warnings but it has not dis-engaged. I am not talking about a downpour, just light rain and less visibility. Makes me a touch nervous because I am not sure what "degraded" means...

Basically if auto wipers calls for the slowest continuous speed (or faster) and FSD is driving you get "FSD degraded warnings", and if FSD isn't activated it reverts back to the old visualization and you can no longer enable it until the auto wipers slow to intermittent speed or lower.

To me it just seems like some quick hacked together guard rail to keep people from enabling the thing in bad weather. Long-term they'll need to deal with weather in a more comprehensive way than just tying it to wiper speed.

Being in Seattle you likely have encountered this more than I. But I have noticed the same behavior in Austin with the light rain we have been getting every day lately. I get the poor weather and FSD degraded warnings but it has not dis-engaged. I am not talking about a downpour, just light rain and less visibility. Makes me a touch nervous because I am not sure what "degraded" means...
My understanding is it reverts to TACC and the fact the "planner" visual goes away seems consistent with that. So FSD is not available to perform actions like exiting the highway.

My understanding is it reverts to TACC and the fact the "planner" visual goes away seems consistent with that. So FSD is not available to perform actions like exiting the highway.
It actually reverts to AP, if FSD disengages. You can make out because the visualization changes.

Hasn't happened with the current build - also not with the earlier one (IIRC). But in the beginning when we first got FSD Beta, it disengaged all the time.

May be, like @eli_ notes, its now tied to how much rain is falling / how fast the wipers are running.

Ofcourse it could also be I've not gone out much in rain lately (I've definitely been driving less recently as kids have started taking the school bus).