Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Beta 10.12 and freeway exits

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Full disclosure, I'm new to FSD Beta but have been using AP/NoA since I got my MS back in 2017. I use it all the time on freeways so I am very familiar with how it operates on freeways. Coming into FSD Beta I knew from reading posts here that the freeway portion was the same as before and that city streets was what was new. This is obvious since the visualizations change the moment you enter/exit the freeway.

Now for the question/problem... Since getting FSD Beta I have had 3 different trips that involved entering and exiting the freeway. In all cases the navigation/routing entered the freeway just fine but has completely ignored the freeway exit. It shows on the navigation that it should be exiting the freeway but the car never moves over or even attempts to take the freeway exit. It's like it is oblivious to the nav routing. Is this a normal thing with FSD Beta? Are others seeing the same thing happen?

Apologies I don't have an answer for you, but I'll say you're not the first I've heard say this. But personally, I haven't experienced this problem.
No worries. Thanks for the feedback. I'm new to the beta so I still have a lot learning to do with regards to what it can and can't do right now. I'm enjoying the experience right now. It's fun to see how the car handles different situations (both right and wrong). The freeway exit problem wasn't something I was expecting since I was under the impression it was the same as before. I'll keep testing and hitting the button!!

...has completely ignored the freeway exit...
In the public FSD (non-beta) version, missing a particular exit does happen (and repeatable, unchangeable until subsequent updates) but not that numerous. I assume someone needs to correct the GPS codings on those particularly missed exits. Thus, I won't be surprised if it happens to the FSD beta also. The question would be is the incidences the same, more or fewer.

On the other hand, with FSD beta on city streets, there have been numerous times that the steering does not follow the route display on the map: The map says turn right and the system would get ready to signal left for a left turn. The maps would paint the route to go straight and the steering would change toward the right turn lane only... Thus, missing "exits" or turns in city streets happen much more than in the highway version. Thus, there seems to be a divergence between what the routing says and what the steering would do for the city streets version.

Last edited:
When you get into FSD Beta, many settings you used to have are reset and you need to set them back up again. Check all the Autopilot settings, including all the Navigate on Autopilot settings, and make sure they are all enabled. I've read about people who accidentally disabled the NoA features, so FSD Beta, once it was on the freeway, reverted back and stopped working as expected.

When you get into FSD Beta, many settings you used to have are reset and you need to set them back up again. Check all the Autopilot settings, including all the Navigate on Autopilot settings, and make sure they are all enabled. I've read about people who accidentally disabled the NoA features, so FSD Beta, once it was on the freeway, reverted back and stopped working as expected.
And the little icon on the bottom left of the direction pane - which does nothing during city streets, controls NoA on freeways.

Full disclosure, I'm new to FSD Beta but have been using AP/NoA since I got my MS back in 2017. I use it all the time on freeways so I am very familiar with how it operates on freeways. Coming into FSD Beta I knew from reading posts here that the freeway portion was the same as before and that city streets was what was new. This is obvious since the visualizations change the moment you enter/exit the freeway.

Now for the question/problem... Since getting FSD Beta I have had 3 different trips that involved entering and exiting the freeway. In all cases the navigation/routing entered the freeway just fine but has completely ignored the freeway exit. It shows on the navigation that it should be exiting the freeway but the car never moves over or even attempts to take the freeway exit. It's like it is oblivious to the nav routing. Is this a normal thing with FSD Beta? Are others seeing the same thing happen?
Silly question .. you DO have NoA turned on?

Reactions: RTPEV
Not silly...I was going to ask the same question, because just yesterday I did the same thing...was on FSD on city streets, got on a highway, and then wondered why it wasn't taking my exit, only to realize I hadn't turned NOA on. Very easy to overlook if everything is going along automatically, and you don't have the setting to go into NoA automatically.

Well... I think you guys might have figured it out for me. I did go through all my settings after the beta was installed and I do have NoA turned on in settings. However, I have the "Enable at start of every trip" set to No. With FSD Beta, NoA on city streets is implied and automatic but not so on freeways. I think what happens is that once it switches to the freeway stack it goes back to the NoA settings and in my case the NoA was off. So, even though I had navigation set, it was not going to take the exit because NoA on the freeway was not enabled. So I'll need to remember to tap the NoA icon once I get on the freeway. I had it disabled on freeways because its lane change decisions were too erratic for my liking. Thanks everyone for the enlightenment!!!

Well... I think you guys might have figured it out for me. I did go through all my settings after the beta was installed and I do have NoA turned on in settings. However, I have the "Enable at start of every trip" set to No. With FSD Beta, NoA on city streets is implied and automatic but not so on freeways. I think what happens is that once it switches to the freeway stack it goes back to the NoA settings and in my case the NoA was off. So, even though I had navigation set, it was not going to take the exit because NoA on the freeway was not enabled. So I'll need to remember to tap the NoA icon once I get on the freeway. I had it disabled on freeways because its lane change decisions were too erratic for my liking. Thanks everyone for the enlightenment!!!
The NoAP icon under the list of navigation directions should be filled in blue to indicate NoAP is on.

You can try this combo instead like I have had since NoAP appeared: “enable NoAP at start of every trip” set to yes/on and “require lane change confirmation” set to on. Like you, I don’t like many of its lane change choices on the highway and cancelling it when the turn signal turns on is too late and still scares other drivers unnecessarily. So I just check myself whether it’s a good choice and confirm with the turn signal stalk or half step down on AP stalk.

Just a clarification: joining FSD beta did change your NoAP to the production vision-only NoAP. It’s not a “single stack” yet (FSD beta code on the highway), but it is somewhat different than the code you used to run on the highway since your car now doesn’t use the radar sensor (I’m assuming you’re still talking about your 2017 MS).

I have Navigated on Autopilot setup to be on by default on every trip. A couple of possible alternatives on dealing with the erratic lane changes.

Enable confirm lane changes (this is the setting that my wife uses). I personally have that disabled because I'm checking the surroundings on the auto lane changes anyway so I usually am able to cancel the lane change if I don't agree.

If the lane changes are super annoying (usually around car pool lanes for me) I will toggle it off. I mention this only because it took far too long for me to realize that I could toggle NoA off.

The NoAP icon under the list of navigation directions should be filled in blue to indicate NoAP is on.

You can try this combo instead like I have had since NoAP appeared: “enable NoAP at start of every trip” set to yes/on and “require lane change confirmation” set to on. Like you, I don’t like many of its lane change choices on the highway and cancelling it when the turn signal turns on is too late and still scares other drivers unnecessarily. So I just check myself whether it’s a good choice and confirm with the turn signal stalk or half step down on AP stalk.

Just a clarification: joining FSD beta did change your NoAP to the production vision-only NoAP. It’s not a “single stack” yet (FSD beta code on the highway), but it is somewhat different than the code you used to run on the highway since your car now doesn’t use the radar sensor (I’m assuming you’re still talking about your 2017 MS).
Yes, this is on my 2017 MS. I'm aware that my car is now vision-only. So far so good with that. Now that I know the NoA is separate on highway versus streets I'll enable NoA on the highway when I want it to follow the nav. Otherwise, I'll leave NoA off so I can indicate lane changes when I want them.

I have Navigated on Autopilot setup to be on by default on every trip. A couple of possible alternatives on dealing with the erratic lane changes.

Enable confirm lane changes (this is the setting that my wife uses). I personally have that disabled because I'm checking the surroundings on the auto lane changes anyway so I usually am able to cancel the lane change if I don't agree.

If the lane changes are super annoying (usually around car pool lanes for me) I will toggle it off. I mention this only because it took far too long for me to realize that I could toggle NoA off.
Thanks for the info. I know I can set it to confirm lane changes but I would then just be telling it No over and over. So I just leave NoA off on highways and manually tell the car to change lanes when I want it to. I will enable NoA when I want it to change freeways or take the exit. My mistake was that I thought FSD beta was going to change the way that worked on highways so I thought there was a problem. Turns out that NoA on highways is the same as before so now I can use it on highways as I always have.