Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have long been watching FSD Beta videos where the car proceeds when there is an absence of information, it's clearly not safe, or when views are obstructed

Kim Paquette had some drives where she emerged from an alley with walls and vehicles and her Tesla barged straight into the turn with no possible way of seeing.

I'm not convinced it has improved much since then. It should in every case refuse to go if it can't actually see that it's safe to go. No "waiting for accelerator". Just completely disengage. Every time, not just anecdotally sometimes.

Otherwise you're left guessing, and may be making risky assumptions.

You sound cautious, which is probably the correct decision. Others may be more trusting and risking an incident.
There’s a cloverleaf interchange on my way to work. It’s also uphill; so, the lane it has to merge into is invisible until you are onto the merge lane. However it always decides the target lane is clear and tries to drive straight into it from the cloverleaf rather than going into the merge lane first.

Reactions: Dan D.
Mine did a new scary thing yesterday. It was stopped at the rightward of two left turn lanes waiting for a green arrow. Then out of the blue it just decided to go. I quickly slammed the brakes. Thankfully, the car behind was watching the light and not me, but I’m sure I gave them a wtf moment. It shocked me as I’ve never had it totally misread a stoplight before.
Do you think there may have been a light for an adjacent lane that turned green and confused it or did it just seem to spontaneously decide to go against a red light?

Mine did a new scary thing yesterday. It was stopped at the rightward of two left turn lanes waiting for a green arrow. Then out of the blue it just decided to go. I quickly slammed the brakes. Thankfully, the car behind was watching the light and not me, but I’m sure I gave them a wtf moment. It shocked me as I’ve never had it totally misread a stoplight before.
For what it's worth, my M3 on the beta decided to do just that - started moving forward on a red light. I've had it for a couple of months and it hadn't done that before.

I dunno.. we had a map update last week and I've had a couple of oddball things happen since then. The red light, and starting to auto-merge on a three-lane (with stoplights and divider) to the left, while everybody was moving, right into a black car that was there. Sure glad I keep my head up and check for turns when the car is doing it; jerked the steering wheel back, took control, and hit the camera icon.

I've had a behavior change in 10.12.2 these past couple of weeks, I was wondering if anyone else has seen similar. It started roughly around the time of the new map update, so it may have been triggered by a map data change?

My neighborhood has several 4-way-stop intersections on a 35-mph road. Previously, 10.12.2 handled these pretty sanely: it came to a stop, displayed a message something like "Autopilot paused, waiting our turn", and then it proceeded with confidence after possibly waiting for other drivers who arrived before me to go first. Now at these same intersections, after the initial stop, it instead displays a "creeping for visibility" message (even though visibility is fine and unblocked and shouldn't need creeping), and the creeping behavior is really bad: it creeps out by a nose, then speeds up slightly, then creeps some more. If I let it go (when there's no other traffic) it doesn't transition from creepy behavior to a committed takeoff until it's ~halfway through the whole intersection. I've seen something similar with one or two other stop signs around town, but it's only my neighborhood ones I'm really noticing consistently.

I've had a behavior change in 10.12.2 these past couple of weeks, I was wondering if anyone else has seen similar. It started roughly around the time of the new map update, so it may have been triggered by a map data change?

My neighborhood has several 4-way-stop intersections on a 35-mph road. Previously, 10.12.2 handled these pretty sanely: it came to a stop, displayed a message something like "Autopilot paused, waiting our turn", and then it proceeded with confidence after possibly waiting for other drivers who arrived before me to go first. Now at these same intersections, after the initial stop, it instead displays a "creeping for visibility" message (even though visibility is fine and unblocked and shouldn't need creeping), and the creeping behavior is really bad: it creeps out by a nose, then speeds up slightly, then creeps some more. If I let it go (when there's no other traffic) it doesn't transition from creepy behavior to a committed takeoff until it's ~halfway through the whole intersection. I've seen something similar with one or two other stop signs around town, but it's only my neighborhood ones I'm really noticing consistently.
Getting the same since the map change. In fact, had one of those 4-way stops today. No traffic, I was curious what would happen.

As you report, the car creeps its way into the intersection - actually, half-way through, blocking traffic that would be trying to go left-to-right. And then it picks up speed and zips through.

In for a dime, in for a dollar: I have these one intersection that, until recently, has been giving me grief. So, one is going up a hill, there's two lanes. The left lane continues straight; the right lane turns into the on-ramp of an interstate. People in the right lane, if they want to go straight, have to merge into the left lane. Fine, 10.12 handles all that.

Immediately after one passes this on-ramp area on the right, there's a spot where traffic coming the other way can turn left (or, rather, right in front of one, left-to-right) as they also try to get onto the on-ramp. They have a stop sign: Again, 10.12 handles that.

Directly after that, the right lane appears again so there's two lanes continuing up the hill. About 100 yards up from where the right lane re-appears, there's an off-ramp from that interstate that merges onto the right lane.

Now the trouble: They've been reconstructing the off-ramp and have Jersey Barriers and all sorts of warning signs blocking the right lane about 50 yards after it reappears. Sane people stay in the left lane, which isn't blocked and, if they need to get into right lane, cut in after the Jersey Barriers stop.

Until the map update, 10.12 would dive into that stub of a right lane before the barriers and come to a quivering halt with the end of a barrier right in front of the car. I've been hitting the record button tons of times, jerking control of the car, etc.

And, now, for the past three or four days.. the car didn't drive into the stub right lane, but continued straight ahead, as if it actually saw the barriers and everything.

Get one thing, lose another.

For what it's worth, my M3 on the beta decided to do just that - started moving forward on a red light. I've had it for a couple of months and it hadn't done that before.

I dunno.. we had a map update last week and I've had a couple of oddball things happen since then. The red light, and starting to auto-merge on a three-lane (with stoplights and divider) to the left, while everybody was moving, right into a black car that was there. Sure glad I keep my head up and check for turns when the car is doing it; jerked the steering wheel back, took control, and hit the camera icon.
The reason I was so startled was I’d let my attention wander a bit as I’d gotten used to the waiting at stoplights being solid. So, bad on me for sure.

Speaking of misreading lights, yesterday I had the amusing case of the beta mis-detecting the turn indicator being turned on. Except it wasn't even blinking. It was just stuck in the "on" position on the visualization. The car in front of me only had brake lights on. Today I was behind another Model 3 which did have a turn indicator on, and half the time the corresponding blinker was also stuck in the "on" position and not blinking.

Also an unrelated observation, but the new map update fixed the "stop sign in the middle of the freeway" issue I had near me. There's another spot where I observed it but I haven't traveled past it in a while

Reactions: Dewg
The most perplexing FSD beta behavior I've seen is that the vehicle doesn't use a turn signal when changing lanes into a turn lane. It only applies the turn signal when 200 ft from the intersection/actual turn - nearly all turn lanes in my area are well over 200 ft (500+ ft). Would think any lane change should use the turn signal - should be a simple fix.

The vehicle then often turns into and drives on the shoulder of the road instead of a driving lane - the lanes are clearly marked - maybe a map issue?

Another turning issue happens when traveling on 55-65mph roads without turn lanes. The vehicle will significantly slow down several hundred feet before the turn, yet only applies the turn signal when 200 ft from the intersection. People behind me don't know why my car is slowing down so much without any turn signal on. This seems like an easy fix - apply turn signal immediately when slowing down for an upcoming turn.

I finally got the update notification after trying the trick of switching the software update slider from advanced to normal and then back to advanced. It took about 10 minutes, but then I received a notification on my phone that an update was ready. For the record, I understand that this could also be completely coincidental, but it's funny that I just read about this "trick", tried it and then received the update shortly thereafter. I began the installation and it got to at least 10% done installing (last I had checked). At some point, however, it failed. I received a mobile notification that the software update had failed. I went to the car to check and saw this:

View attachment 811555

Update did not complete successfully. Please wait for a new update to be sent to your car.

Am I the lucky winner of this particular error, or has anyone else gotten this? I'm actually not sure if this is necessarily a bad thing, with some of the reported behavior for this update.
I just ran into this install failed popup today with attempting to upgrade to 2023.27.6

I just ran into this install failed popup today with attempting to upgrade to 2023.27.6

Try and force a refresh again and see if it takes. Then reboot the car and try another refresh.

Thankfully mine went off fine yesterday and my drives so far today were much improved. That said we still have a long way to go for each basic and simple street driving. Not slowing for speed bumps, train tracks, or drainage ditches. Sitting too long at stops. Slow to accelerate from stops. Random panic stops 30 feet from stops with nothing of any cautious nature. Not signaling soon enough before turns.

The wiper and perhaps radio issues appear to be gone; so far anyway.

Try and force a refresh again and see if it takes. Then reboot the car and try another refresh.

Thankfully mine went off fine yesterday and my drives so far today were much improved. That said we still have a long way to go for each basic and simple street driving. Not slowing for speed bumps, train tracks, or drainage ditches. Sitting too long at stops. Slow to accelerate from stops. Random panic stops 30 feet from stops with nothing of any cautious nature. Not signaling soon enough before turns.

The wiper and perhaps radio issues appear to be gone; so far anyway.
Reboot worked. Thanks!