Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting that Elon says "wide release" to all beta participants is expected later this year. So Tesla is going to wait several months before expanding it to all beta testers? Why wait so long? Is 10.12 single stack or something where they need to do a lot of testing with a limited group?

Reactions: pilotSteve
Interesting that Elon says "wide release" to all beta participants is expected later this year. So Tesla is going to wait several months before expanding it to all beta testers? Why wait so long? Is 10.12 single stack or something where they need to do a lot of testing with a limited group?

Just replied in the other thread ...

Anyone who wants FSD Beta would get it - is my interpretation. He has talked about that before - and also in the earnings call.

It is still "beta" just like AP & NOA.

He's never been precise in his language. But this reaches new heights of obfuscation. "[W]ide release to high safety score beta participants" - do FSD beta participants even still have safety scores? I don't seem to have one anymore once the FSD beta firmware was loaded. "Going to all beta participants is expected later this year" - similarly "all beta participants?" Is that everyone currently with beta firmware, everyone who has selected the participation button, everyone who has paid for FSD?

Like many of you have said, however, these tweets and what's released and when seem to have little correlation, so I am certainly not hanging my expectations on Elon's twitterlings. I just watch Teslafi for new releases and release notes.

He's never been precise in his language. But this reaches new heights of obfuscation. "[W]ide release to high safety score beta participants" - do FSD beta participants even still have safety scores? I don't seem to have one anymore once the FSD beta firmware was loaded. "Going to all beta participants is expected later this year" - similarly "all beta participants?" Is that everyone currently with beta firmware, everyone who has selected the participation button, everyone who has paid for FSD?

FSD Beta testers do not have safety scores after they get accepted into FSD Beta (at least not publicly viewed on the app). So I assume Elon means the safety score they had before they got accepted into the program. Presumably, Elon is trying to say that 10.12 will go out to testers who had a high safety score before they got in. So maybe 10.12 will go to testers who had like 99+ score before they got in. So 10.12 won't go to all FSD Beta testers, just the ones that had like 99+ score before they got in. But Elon should have said "limited release" then. "Wide release" is confusing since it implies a release to a very large number of people. I took "all beta participants is expected to later this year" to mean everybody that has FSD Beta will get 10.12 by the end of this year.

Like many of you have said, however, these tweets and what's released and when seem to have little correlation, so I am certainly not hanging my expectations on Elon's twitterlings. I just watch Teslafi for new releases and release notes.

When he says "beta participants," he means all the people who opted in via the UI for FSD-beta.

"High safety score beta participants" are the people who were granted access to FSD-beta after scoring high enough. This current statement does not clarify whether any new people maintaining high scores will be added.

Seems like when this thing goes truly wide "later this year", it will still be on an opt-in basis, although it's hard to imagine why someone wouldn't opt-in if they bought the FSD package. Still, I've met people who bought FSD and had no clue about the FSD-beta program and safety scores.

Yeah it's always hard to make sense of what he's really saying, especially about new testers waiting in the queue. There's never a straightforward answer to that question in spite of how many times it's been asked with different wording.

Optimistic view is that once 10.12 starts rolling out to the existing public testers ("probably" this coming weekend), it will reasonably-quickly (after perhaps a point-release fixup or two) go to new entrants with a "high" safety score from the queue, and the cutoff could even be as low as 95.

Pessimistic view is that 10.12 might reach some current beta testers in a week or two, and the some is the "high safety score beta participants" subset of them that initially enrolled at 99+. New entrants waiting in the queue with high scores remain as they are, probably stuck in limbo until it goes out to every beta button-pusher instantly regardless of score sometime "later this year" (hah), and continuing to play safety score games continues to be pointless but they can't be bothered to let us know that's the case.

There's probably several middling possibilities as well, of course.

Reactions: BobbyTables
I read it to mean they’ll add a lot of additional testers from the people who have requested it and haven’t got it yet AND have a safety score of 99 or 100. But then being a noob with a new Model S I’ve become more interested in what he means.

1651545987661.png