Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I decided to opt out of safety score jail until June based on Elon’s latest tweet. My luck, it’ll mean it releases to the rest of y’all this weekend, which honestly, I’d be okay with.
I am probably gonna do the same this weekend as well. I’ve wasted the last 5 months of ownership driving my Plaid like a Prius. I think I regret wasting those 5 months more than I’ll regret not having the beta.

The safety score is not what is keeping folks out of beta testing and you do not have to drive conservatively to have an adequate safety score. Just drive as you want and compromise only if you feel like it. I got the beta with a score of 98. Why did I get the beta? Because I was at the right place in line at the right time. The only compromises I had to make with driving were not cutting across lanes with a fast left turn and not slamming on brakes, which I very rarely have ever in my life done. If you have to slam on brakes you ain't paying attention. I drove a taxi in NYC for many years so I'm not even close to a nonaggressive driver. FSD-Beta however, drives like my grandmother, on drugs........disappointing grandma.........

Last edited:
What I'm saying is if you can't handle driving such to have a decent safety score you will despise FSD-beta. Grandmas' a retired aging actual circus clown, on drugs, and today coming home from the bar, after being cut off..........and you're her captive passenger. All you can do is be ready to take over every time she tries to kill you. As an adrenaline junkie, and a friend to the drunk stoned grandmas, I dig it. You may not......

Last edited:
What I'm saying is if you can't handle driving such to have a decent safety score you will despise FSD-beta. Grandmas' a retired aging actual circus clown, on drugs, and today coming home from the bar, after being cut off..........and you're her capitve passenger. All you can do is be ready to take over every time she tries to kill you. As an adrenaline junkie, I dig it. You may not......
(moderator edit) How long did you have to maintain a 98 safety score before you got into the beta? I guarantee it wasn’t 5 months with no idea of an end date.

Driving like a grandma hoping to maybe eventually one day get the FSD beta is not at all the same as actually testing the beta. We are all aware testing FSD isn’t ‘fun’, but it’s what we signed up for (and paid for). It would be cool as hell to sit in my own car and watch it attempt to drive itself.

You also ignore a major fact that now that you are in the beta you can manually drive your car however you want. Us waiting months for the beta can neither drive our cars the way we want or test the beta. It’s the worst of all outcomes.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had no issues with getting in. I waited till the day before it was going to release to 100 people. Yes back in the day. Did the required 200+ miles(?) in the middle of the night on the freeway. The next day they let in anyone that had 100 and the set number of miles.

But that ability to juice the system has been removed some time ago for people with lesser scores

• Funny
Reactions: Ramphex
(moderator edit) How long did you have to maintain a 98 safety score before you got into the beta? I guarantee it wasn’t 5 months with no idea of an end date.

Driving like a grandma hoping to maybe eventually one day get the FSD beta is not at all the same as actually testing the beta. We are all aware testing FSD isn’t ‘fun’, but it’s what we signed up for (and paid for). It would be cool as hell to sit in my own car and watch it attempt to drive itself.

You also ignore a major fact that now that you are in the beta you can manually drive your car however you want. Us waiting months for the beta can neither drive our cars the way we want or test the beta. It’s the worst of all outcomes.
(moderator edit)...I requested FSD-Beta in March 2021 when the request was first by email, then latter by app, so got the safety score when they very first came out, received the Beta early January 2022. So yeah, more than 5 months. You do not have to drive like a grandma to get an adequate safety score, that was one point, missed looks like. (moderator edit)

(moderator edit)...I requested FSD-Beta in March 2021 when the request was first by email, then latter by app, so got the safety score when they very first came out, received the Beta early January 2022. So yeah, more than 5 months. You do not have to drive like a grandma to get an adequate safety score, that was one point, missed looks like. (moderator edit)
(moderator edit) How long did you actually drive with a safety score before getting the beta? From every thread I’ve read on this board and TeslaFi there are no known new additions to the US beta since December 2021 so how did you get added in January 2022?

I stand by the ‘drive like a grandma’ description. When any turn at speed is deemed aggressive turning and using the brake pads at all is deemed aggressive braking then it’s indeed driving like a grandma. It’s impossible to use a fraction of the power in a Plaid without some need to corner or brake with reasonable g-forces.

Considering that due to safety score monitoring I’d lose a race to a Prius on anything besides a LONG straight road it definitely qualifies as driving like a grandma.

Reactions: Rusty1
(moderator edit) How long did you actually drive with a safety score before getting the beta? From every thread I’ve read on this board and TeslaFi there are no known new additions to the US beta since December 2021 so how did you get added in January 2022?

I stand by the ‘drive like a grandma’ description. When any turn at speed is deemed aggressive turning and using the brake pads at all is deemed aggressive braking then it’s indeed driving like a grandma. It’s impossible to use a fraction of the power in a Plaid without some need to corner or brake with reasonable g-forces.

Considering that due to safety score monitoring I’d lose a race to a Prius on anything besides a LONG straight road it definitely qualifies as driving like a grandma.
Feel free to drive like a grandma, knock yourself out. That's up to you. But I most certainly never did, and it's not at all required. But no worries. The latest rounds of FSD-beta were bulked around Christmas day/eve through the new year. That's a fact. I have the email when I requested the beta in March 2021 but don't have exact documentation otherwise. (moderator edit)

I addition my kids and wife drove the score down into the 80s. I drove it back up to 98, but not at all with conservative driving........not even close.......if you want to obsess over safety scores that is an option in life. But it's totally unnecessary. Of course, you won't believe that........that by nature of the process........
I think we are talking about two different things. I paid $150k for the world’s fastest accelerating production car, but I drive it like it’s an Accord because of the safety score. It’s impossible to do any spirited driving that my $150k paid for because you can’t do that without a strong likelyhood of braking, turning or collision warnings killing the score.

I never said getting a 98+ is hard. I’ve maintained that for 5 months. The problem is I am only getting fraction of the value I paid since I can’t open up the car anywhere except extremely long and empty open roads.

Driving is just a task and is simply not fun while maintaining a safety score.

I think we are talking about two different things. I paid $150k for the world’s fastest accelerating production car, but I drive it like it’s an Accord because of the safety score. It’s impossible to do any spirited driving that my $150k paid for because you can’t do that without a strong likelyhood of braking, turning or collision warnings killing the score.

I never said getting a 98+ is hard. I’ve maintained that for 5 months. The problem is I am only getting fraction of the value I paid since I can’t open up the car anywhere except extremely long and empty open roads.

Driving is just a task and is simply not fun while maintaining a safety score.
I can/could drive extremely aggressively without affecting the safety score other than as mentioned. But maybe that is from my acrobatic experience driving in the City.

I can/could drive extremely aggressively without affecting the safety score other than as mentioned. But maybe that is from my acrobatic experience driving in the City.
I find your description of ‘extremely aggressive’ impossible to believe. If you don’t turn or stop with enough force to freak out the safety score algorithm then you are not driving aggressively. On top of that you can’t accelerate around a car in traffic without getting a collision warning.

Either we have totally different scoring systems running in our cars or our ideas of aggressive driving are just totally different. I can’t even go around a round-a-bout without slowing to a crawl so it doesn’t complain about aggressive turning. It’s embarrassing when I have other cars behind me.

I find your description of ‘extremely aggressive’ impossible to believe. If you don’t turn or stop with enough force to freak out the safety score algorithm then you are not driving aggressively. On top of that you can’t accelerate around a car in traffic without getting a collision warning.

Either we have totally different scoring systems running in our cars or our ideas of aggressive driving are just totally different. I can’t even go around a round-a-bout without slowing to a crawl so it doesn’t complain about aggressive turning. It’s embarrassing when I have other cars behind me.
There is a big difference between aggressive and disjointed driving. That's the acrobatics I was referencing. Control is control. Being on the verge of losing control is not aggressive driving, it's just driving not well done. Like kids out at the drag strip versus professionals.

Last edited: