Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It seems to have stability problems and such. And I don’t mean the stability issues caused by the car rocking wildly in response to steering inputs (those will remain when the updated version is released). The early beta recipients have not had much to gloat about. Seems like just another release with restructuring under the hood and some incremental improvements here and there.
Thanks Alan…..I haven’t watched and usually don’t watch the YouTuber vids on each release and this has been no exception.

Ski

Agreed, it is neither.

Assertive is probably a better word for what we’re talking about, but in any case aggressive/assertive driving and defensive driving are not mutually exclusive. A key characteristic of defensive driving is anticipating incorrect behavior by other drivers.

But yeah, neither.
And routinely FSD Beta will do exactly that - it slows down and becomes "timid" (for lack of a better word) when other cars make aggressive lane changes, or sudden right turns in front of you, etc. An aggressive driver may just swerve around the right turning car, not really slowing down much. That would, in turn, cause the people in the next left lane to alter their behavior for the guy swerving into their lane, which creates ripples of minor course corrections. It's also where humans tend to get into accidents. Does it suck for the guy behind me when my car slows down rapidly in response to the guy turning right in front of me? Yes. Does it suck for the guy in the lane next to me when my car doesn't swerve out into their lane to "get around" the guy in turning? Nope.

Also, try really hard to not get annoyed when your car does something you wouldn't do. I think so many people are frustrated with FSD Beta because the car doesn't drive the way *they* do. It's not going to drive the way you do. As I mentioned in another thread, I got honked at recently when FSD Beta was making a left turn in the #2 left turn lane. The car handled the turn exactly as it should have done, turned into the #2 lane. However, the guy next to me in the #1 left lane wanted to be in the #2 lane when he completed his turn, which is incorrect - he needed to complete his turn into the #1 lane. So he honked at me for preventing him from doing what he wanted (he was definitely a Type A / Aggressive driver). FSD Beta would not work well for him.

Yesterday morning there was a Model S in the #1 lane (4 lanes) at an intersection (red light), and a freeway onramp directly past the light on the right. The light turned green and the Model S floored it and cut across 4 lanes of traffic in the middle of the intersection to get onto the on-ramp because he didn't want to wait his turn in the #4 lane with everyone else. FSD Beta would not work for him either.

And routinely FSD Beta will do exactly that - it slows down and becomes "timid" (for lack of a better word) when other cars make aggressive lane changes, or sudden right turns in front of you, etc.
That’s reacting, not anticipating. Not defensive driving.

The better course of action is to anticipate so no direct reaction is necessary. E.g., no need to slow down when that car turns in front of you (you already slowed down because you knew it would happen); no need to react to someone not yielding to oncoming traffic (this one is usually easy to see coming well in advance), etc.

Looking forward to when FSD can do this and start bringing down the not-at-fault accident rate (a key metric).

Reactions: 2101Guy
That’s reacting, not anticipating.

The better course of action is to anticipate so no direct reaction is necessary. E.g., no need to slow down when that car turns in front of you (you already slowed down because you knew it would happen); no need to react to someone not yielding to oncoming traffic (this one is usually easy to see coming well in advance), etc.
I agree, but many people here would disagree with you. "Stupid FSD slowed down for no reason!" When in fact, FSD was anticipating that a car was going to make a sudden right turn and slowed down to compensate. However, the car didn't turn right. So, who's right and who's wrong? Is it better that FSD anticipate and start slowing for a car it thinks make be making a sudden right turn? That's going to piss some people off. Or is it better to only react when the person is actually making the sudden right turn, but then have to brake a harder? That's going to piss some people off.

Reactions: JHCCAZ
Do "not bad" drivers regularly get honked at? I guess it all depends on the frame of reference. It's way better than Smart Summon. :p
How many new teenage drivers get honked at if they don't have a "student driver" placard on the car? FSD is improving but is still cautious and slow, exactly what I expect it to be like.

The ironic thing is I see so many people protesting that they "have to drive like a grandma" to get a good safety score to try and get in the FSD beta program, but if they get in they'll be driving like a grandma!

I agree, but many people here would disagree with you. "Stupid FSD slowed down for no reason!" When in fact, FSD was anticipating that a car was going to make a sudden right turn and slowed down to compensate. However, the car didn't turn right. So, who's right and who's wrong? Is it better that FSD anticipate and start slowing for a car it thinks make be making a sudden right turn? That's going to piss some people off. Or is it better to only react when the person is actually making the sudden right turn, but then have to brake a harder? That's going to piss some people off.
I would argue that the bigger problem that upsets people in this case is that it uses the brakes (!!!) or heavy regen to slow down. Because it is inexplicably not anticipating or reacting appropriately or fast enough. Needs to react fast, so it doesn’t need to make any sudden changes.

No one wants to be jerked around.

Reactions: 2101Guy
I would argue that the bigger problem that upsets people in this case is that it uses the brakes (!!!) or heavy regen to slow down. Because it is inexplicably not anticipating or reacting appropriately or fast enough. Needs to react fast, so it doesn’t need to make any sudden changes.
Again, you and I agree on many points. Anticipating is a human intuition, and as such it's sometimes wrong. Computers don't have human intuition (or "gut feeling"). You and I may have a "gut feeling" that the guy on your left "really wants to be in my lane, and is likely going to try to cut me off". And in many cases, it happens. The computer doesn't know that, and it's likely going to be a long time, if ever, that a computer has enough AI to simulate human intuition. So how will FSD handle that case? The guy will speed up and cut you off, as you "knew he would", and FSD will brake hard in reaction.

Again, FSD is not going to drive the way you do. I've accepted that, and my experiences with FSD are mostly positive. The more I use it, the more I understand how it thinks and I've adjusted my expectations to how it drives.

The guy will speed up and cut you off, as you "knew he would", and FSD will brake hard in reaction.

This is a problem. Won’t be acceptable.
Computers don't have human intuition (or "gut feeling").

Human intuition is based on subtle cues provided by other drivers’ speed/acceleration/jerk profile, their historical use of signals, their ability to maintain their lane, their wheel position, etc. There’s no reason to think that a computer could not (at some point) incorporate these cues and make judgements about future behaviors and position the vehicle accordingly out of harm’s way.

For now I’d settle for it sensing and responding to other vehicles in a timely manner though. No need for anticipation there. Have not yet optimized the case with no anticipation/intuition.

Last edited:
That’s reacting, not anticipating. Not defensive driving.

Looking forward to when FSD can do this and start bringing down the not-at-fault accident rate (a key metric).
Anticipating is a pretty tall order for FSD or any AI system. Not only do humans often have trouble but it's depending on regional driving styles and even time of day. I wouldn't expect that from any driving system any time soon.

Anticipating is a pretty tall order for FSD or any AI system. Not only do humans often have trouble but it's depending on regional driving styles and even time of day. I wouldn't expect that from any driving system any time soon.
Neither do I. But as I said, have to start with actually doing a good job without incorporating anticipation. Currently it’s unacceptable for any passenger.

This is a problem. Won’t be acceptable.

Human intuition is based on subtle cues provided by other drivers’ speed/acceleration/jerk profile, their historical use of signals, their ability to maintain their lane, their wheel position, etc. There’s no reason to think that a computer could not (at some point) incorporate these cues and make judgements about future behaviors and position the vehicle accordingly out of harm’s way.

For now I’d settle for it sensing and responding to other vehicles in a timely manner though. No need for anticipation there. Have not yet optimized the case with no anticipation/intuition.
Define "timely" in a way that's acceptable to all people. What I consider "timely" is not the same as what you may consider it.