Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was thinking about this too. One thing I thought was that computers don't have emotion which may get in the way of driving. They don't get road rage, nor do they get fear or panic when an accident happens. I was recently watching Chuck's latest video regarding his accident, and in that video he praises Tesla's AP for keeping it together after he was hit. The car shook just a little, but maintained its lane perfectly, and he credited it for preventing further problems.
Just to clarify Chuck didn't post a video of the accident out of respect to the person who died.

It's just Chuck talking abut the accident.

But, yeah one of the best benefits of autonomous vehicles is the unemotional element. Humans are way too emotional when we drive. Even tiny things like passing a person triggers them to speed up.

There are lots of movies that depict total autonomous traffic, e.g. I, Robot and Minority Report comes to mind. If you take out human driving, which is by far the most unpredictable, I would imagine it's very possible to achieve something like eliminating fatal accidents, even if the self-driving algorithm is not perfect. And if you trace back in time to the present, which is where we're trying to introduce autonomous driving into the population, into today's traffic dominated entirely by human drivers, is it safe to assume that right now is going to be the hardest part of the curve. And the more autonomous vehicles out on the road and the fewer human drivers, the easier it gets?

Of course, I realize it's not that simple logistically. Different manufacturers have different AI systems, different country different rules, but just from a mental exercise perspective, I hope it's one of those good snowballs.

10.11 to 10.11.2 was 3 weeks.

I expect 10.12.2 this weekend or next weekend. Then, a couple of days for it go wide.
2022.12.3.20 appears to be 10.12.2. It is reportedly downloading to a Model Y that previously had 2022.12.3.15 (10.12.1) installed.

Another car in Pennsylvania is also downloading it now, according to TeslaFi.

Last edited:
There are plenty of human drivers that follow the law by the book.

They're annoying as all hell, but if in accident happens its not their fault of following the law.

What I predict will happen is Autonomous cars will be forced to follow the law where the intention is to use them to get human drivers to behave themselves. In fact some group is studying the impact autonomous vehicles will have on how closely humans follow rules like the speed limit.

What I've seen when I drive is people tend to adapt to what they see. I think I'm actually in the minority where I know exactly what speed I'm going to go on the freeway. It's either 10 over, and it's only less if I need to conserve.
Well said and completely agree with the direction you predict. Have seen this across hundreds of posts. The ones most dissatisfied with progress are often pointing out the car does not drive like Them. Or the majority that are overly concerned with how others around them view there driving as to cautious or slow. Ex “why won’t the let it go 90mph!” I would wager that the end game result with FSD will be a cautious, no hurry, law biding transport. Fully understand many that have had high performance EV rockets suddenly having to conform to a cautious follow the speed limit chauffeur will be a tough change. Autonomous driving will never be a slot car unmanned rocket. We will need to accept a calm slow Safe drive or simply drive yourself.

Well said and completely agree with the direction you predict. Have seen this across hundreds of posts. The ones most dissatisfied with progress are often pointing out the car does not drive like Them. Or the majority that are overly concerned with how others around them view there driving as to cautious or slow. Ex “why won’t the let it go 90mph!” I would wager that the end game result with FSD will be a cautious, no hurry, law biding transport. Fully understand many that have had high performance EV rockets suddenly having to conform to a cautious follow the speed limit chauffeur will be a tough change. Autonomous driving will never be a slot car unmanned rocket. We will need to accept a calm slow Safe drive or simply drive yourself.
I agree with a couple of caveats -
if a car is driving significantly slower than the flow of traffic then it can be a hazard, even if it’s following the speed limit.

Also, regarding “how others around them view [their] driving,“ there’s a difference between being conservative or cautious and behaving like a scared turtle. This has improved somewhat but often times FSD starts going through an intersection , then slows and creeps through. Once you’re in the intersection all you’re doing is blocking traffic. unless there’s a pedestrian in the way you just need to go but FSD didn’t get that. There are plenty of other examples of FSD doing maneuvers that are at best inconsiderate and at worst downright dangerous. To that extent I agree with people. I don’t expect FSD to be aggressive, but it has to be confident enough to be safe.

I agree with a couple of caveats -
if a car is driving significantly slower than the flow of traffic then it can be a hazard, even if it’s following the speed limit.

Also, regarding “how others around them view [their] driving,“ there’s a difference between being conservative or cautious and behaving like a scared turtle. This has improved somewhat but often times FSD starts going through an intersection , then slows and creeps through. Once you’re in the intersection all you’re doing is blocking traffic. unless there’s a pedestrian in the way you just need to go but FSD didn’t get that. There are plenty of other examples of FSD doing maneuvers that are at best inconsiderate and at worst downright dangerous. To that extent I agree with people. I don’t expect FSD to be aggressive, but it has to be confident enough to be safe.
No question they Need continued refinement. Especially with committing to a decision like crossing an intersection. Fully agree. My statement was more an observation that many are expecting the end result to drive like them. Like my dad would say “I can take that curve at double that speed”. Sure, but in the direction of autonomy we are going to need to forget some of our long learned bad habits. While I don’t disagree with your statement “staying with the flow of traffic“ in my view that’s just our justification to Speed. Lol. And each of us has our own learned limit of how far we can cross the line of legal. The future of FSD will likely need to slow us down and stay at the laws definition of safe to progress. Many will hate it as a lack of freedom but in the end game safety and lives Will increase.

Reactions: sleepydoc
However, you can easily set an offset or manually increase the speed while on FSD Beta and drive up to 85mph (current version). So wanna drive 65 in a 45 zone? Done.
Think you made my point. In order for FSD to become FSD they will likely have to take away some of our ability and need to override the system to drive like us. Seems the beta opt in was a human AI learning session for us to learn to slow the hell down and conform to cautious driving. Lol

While humans and autonomous cars share the road, I think this is true.

I actually think that when autonomous cars are very safe, and all cars are autonomous, the next logical step is to improve the efficiency of transport. For example, if the cars are able to communicate with each other, we no longer need traffic lights. We could be buzzing by other cars going the other way at fairly high speeds without risk of collision. We could have smart spacing and merging to optimize traffic flows on highways. Speed limits for the vehicles might increase when inattentiveness and slow reaction times are out of the picture. And they would be dynamic based on changing conditions like # VRUs around, weather, day vs night, level of congestion, etc.

Obviously a LOT of stuff needs to happen before we see this reality. But I wouldn't assume that autonomous transport would always be slow.

Humans can also simply be blind to something in front of their eyes. Like a stop sign or stop light just not registering in their head. One case, a lawyer friend told me about, was one in which a stopped car in the carpool lane, at night, was slammed into at full speed by another driver. The person in the stalled car was killed. The person who hit the stalled car wasn't impared. It was just so unexpected that the driver didn't notice until it was too late.

cautious follow the speed limit chauffeur will be a tough change

As others have pointed out this is not a problem.

The ones most dissatisfied with progress are often pointing out the car does not drive like Them.

Actually the current issue is that it doesn’t drive like (nearly) any driver. It also doesn’t turn like (nearly) any driver. It’s extremely robotic, often slow when it should not be, and often fast when it should not be.

Driving well and naturally, like a perfect chauffeur, is quite difficult.