Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
10.12.2 is very slow rollout. Based on past versions, I am guessing that they don't intend this one to go to the mass of existing beta testers. So I am looking for a 10.12.3 or 10.12.4, and if it hits 10% of beta testers in the first 3 or 4 days, then that's when I will let myself start thinking about when I will get it. Again, the base firmware build for the FSD beta release will likely be 6 to 8 weeks behind the most current version at that point, if the normal cycle holds.

I think I will give it to v11, then I am going to reevaluate my participation in FSD beta. I didn't really have high expectations going in, but the beta has, at best, just confirmed my expectation of what FSD will ultimately be capable of, if not diminished it a bit. I do have hopes for an AP4 platform that may have a lot more capabilities, but by then Tesla may have a lot more competition in both the BEV and ADAS/AV markets.

Just back from a Memorial Day Free Tesla Charging Incentive trip to LA and I was bit three times by this:

View attachment 810541

AutoSteering Speed Limit???? I get that AutoSteer is rated for a certain MPH and above that things are coming at it too fast, but all I am doing is pushing it a little when it doesn't speed up enough when I change lanes into the passing lane. Isn't that why we have the beta? So we can tell the car that it needs to do something different by grabbing the wheel, or hitting the brakes or the gas?

Now I am locked out of AutoSteer until I next stop the car. What if I get in an accident now? I am a little drowsy, isn't this LESS SAFE?

I get if they have people running the AutoSteer ALL the time too fast, but this is JUST me goosing it when it runs too slow. I haven't been bit before by this, perhaps because I don't normally drive this fast, the route down Hwy 5 is basically all 80-90 MPH traffic. I am already close to the limit. It just seems wrong.
I have trained myself to pop the right stalk up before tapping the accelerator. Sometimes the car lectures me about how to put it in neutral, but at least I short-circuit the lockout.

Just back from a Memorial Day Free Tesla Charging Incentive trip to LA and I was bit three times by this:

View attachment 810541

AutoSteering Speed Limit???? I get that AutoSteer is rated for a certain MPH and above that things are coming at it too fast, but all I am doing is pushing it a little when it doesn't speed up enough when I change lanes into the passing lane. Isn't that why we have the beta? So we can tell the car that it needs to do something different by grabbing the wheel, or hitting the brakes or the gas?

Now I am locked out of AutoSteer until I next stop the car. What if I get in an accident now? I am a little drowsy, isn't this LESS SAFE?

I get if they have people running the AutoSteer ALL the time too fast, but this is JUST me goosing it when it runs too slow. I haven't been bit before by this, perhaps because I don't normally drive this fast, the route down Hwy 5 is basically all 80-90 MPH traffic. I am already close to the limit. It just seems wrong.

It's just that the car is driving and the solution isn't rated for over 80 MPH. (Or 85 or higher with updates.) When thrown into the penalty box, some drivers quickly fix this by pulling over on the shoulder, putting it in Park, and then continuing the trip. Putting it into park at stop lights or stop signs also works. Of course, I have zero experience having to do this. ;-)

• Funny
Reactions: Ramphex
….

These people are passionate about their cars, and the technology, and they enjoy creating content. The production aspect interests them. That’s why they made videos in the first place. People like watching people be passionate about something, so yeah, the content creators post generally positive stuff, with titles that make people want to watch their video, but they all admit the issues. They found a way to make money off sharing something their passionate about. That’s something to envy, not talk trash about and call “shills.” Have you ever talked to any of them? I have, and they are genuinely happy and passionate about this stuff and love sharing the good and the bad.

Some positivity around here isn’t a bad thing…
Well said. Thank you.

Reactions: Freshtry
It's just that the car is driving and the solution isn't rated for over 80 MPH. (Or 85 or higher with updates.) When thrown into the penalty box, some drivers quickly fix this by pulling over on the shoulder, putting it in Park, and then continuing the trip. Putting it into park at stop lights or stop signs also works. Of course, I have zero experience having to do this. ;-)
Driving over 80MPH on a road with red lights or Stop signs is insane. This should only be done on a limited access highway.

Perhaps you shouldn't be driving if you are drowsy enough that you need to rely on AP, especially if you are pushing your speed to pass other cars! Nonetheless, you could simply pull over at the next safe location and start a new drive.

No need to exaggerate. It's a trivial issue.

i totally disagree. You, and a lot of others see it in a very pessimistic way.

I am in love with my car. AP blows me away. When I get the beta, I am going to want to show people the awesome moments that make me say “wow! I’ve gotta show people this!”

So someone makes videos of those momentsc and when it screws up, they show that place it screwed up in the next video, and it nails it. “10.12.2 NO INTERVENTIONS” Great title for a video. It’s genuinely exciting!

There is not a SINGLE FSD beta YouTuber that has any worthwhile, monetization worthy number or followers who will say the system is perfect and public ready.

Different people have a different slant to their videos.

-Dirty tesla is kinda harsh, and calls out issues more than the rest, but he’s forward. He pisses me off sometimes because he can complain too much, but that point of views important.

-Chuck is technical, wants his car to nail a situation, and loves to share the stress tests. He gets to be technical, creative with his drone, dial in his filming technique including production with his CANNBUS data. He loves that stuff, and so do I. Cool to see an older guy loving new stuff.

-Wholemars, loves to go for drives through his regular routes, throw some good music on it, and show a time lapse. People dig it, and he produces his own music for some of them! I enjoy them. Showing all the screw ups and bad takes isn’t always necessary. Sometimes it’s nice to see it just succeed. On twitter he can be pretty harsh on failures of each version.

These people are passionate about their cars, and the technology, and they enjoy creating content. The production aspect interests them. That’s why they made videos in the first place. People like watching people be passionate about something, so yeah, the content creators post generally positive stuff, with titles that make people want to watch their video, but they all admit the issues. They found a way to make money off sharing something their passionate about. That’s something to envy, not talk trash about and call “shills.” Have you ever talked to any of them? I have, and they are genuinely happy and passionate about this stuff and love sharing the good and the bad.

Step back and see that these are people that enjoy this stuff and aren’t just trying to make money by saying what people want to hear. Making some cash is just a perk.

Some positivity around here isn’t a bad thing…
I guess there are different audiences for different content. I like to see the legitimate reviews when I do my research on anything. I don’t want to sit there looking at hours of video reviews of only the “pOsItIvE sTuFf” to then get whatever I’m researching, with elevated expectations, just to be disappointed by everything that was left out, since you know, it wasn’t positive.

To me, facts are facts, and I don’t need someone who’s “passionate” to obscure them with editing techniques. I want to see the raw experience, and this isn’t only regarding to FSD, so I can mentally prepare myself for what I’m about to get without a sales pitch type fake out technique.

Some of the shills videos remind me of those timeshare sales meetings for resorts.

Once again though, each to their own, if that’s the content you enjoy, then it’s perfect for you. It’s not perfect for everyone.

Reactions: FSDtester#1
I guess there are different audiences for different content. I like to see the legitimate reviews when I do my research on anything. I don’t want to sit there looking at hours of video reviews of only the “pOsItIvE sTuFf” to then get whatever I’m researching, with elevated expectations, just to be disappointed by everything that was left out, since you know, it wasn’t positive.

To me, facts are facts, and I don’t need someone who’s “passionate” to obscure them with editing techniques. I want to see the raw experience, and this isn’t only regarding to FSD, so I can mentally prepare myself for what I’m about to get without a sales pitch type fake out technique.

Some of the shills videos remind me of those timeshare sales meetings for resorts.

Once again though, each to their own, if that’s the content you enjoy, then it’s perfect for you. It’s not perfect for everyone.
Calling someone who posts positive views a “shill” is really fracking disrespectful. That’s the whole point of what I’m saying.

To me, facts are facts, and I don’t need someone who’s “passionate” to obscure them with editing techniques.
Any examples of that ? People keep accusing influencers of "editing" videos, even when they post raw 1x videos - but hype obviously professionally edited Waymo, Cruise & MobilEye videos.

Here is an interesting video about "click bait titles" by a physics channel I watch. Youtubers experiment with multiple titles and use the one that gets promoted by YouTube most. Blame YouTube algorithms.

Calling someone who posts positive views a “shill” is really fracking disrespectful. That’s the whole point of what I’m saying.
Lol. Especially when those complaining are contributing Nothing! Lol. So technically when the system or product he is interested in works perfectly there shouldn’t be Any videos posted unless they have tabloid negativity included. Cant please everyone as they say.

Reactions: JHCCAZ and Raurele
Personally, I find the youtube videos helpful in understanding what to expect out of each new version. Most videos are uncut, though, to reduce the tedium, many do fast forward through uneventful straight sections. For those who think that the fast forwarded sections are concealing something, simply use the youtube speed control to slow those down.

Now, if someone is really trying to present FSD beta versions unrealistically, they could certainly drive routes multiple times until they get a good, or bad, result, and show only the one that best serves their purpose. Perhaps that's a good reason to view multiple videos. Certainly, there is no preponderance of 'perfect' drives presented by the majority of videos. In fact, most videos appear to show a mix of good and bad.

Really, it doesn't take too long before you find the posters that you feel present FSD beta in the fairest light. You simply ignore the ones that you feel are too slanted one way or the other. It's still a free (as in speech, not beer) country the last time I checked.

Clickbait titles? Welcome to marketing 101. Over-hyping did not originate with the internet, as anyone born in the previous millennium should be able to attest!

Driving over 80MPH on a road with red lights or Stop signs is insane. This should only be done on a limited access highway.
It must've not occurred to you that some people drive over 80 MPH on the freeway but don't stay on the freeway forever. Eventually, they exit onto surface streets where there are stop signs and traffic lights (and where they obviously don't drive as fast). LOL SMH

Last edited:
Reactions: ChaoticNeutral

View attachment 810541

Just pull off the road, put it in park, and your sins will be forgiven.

Meaningful statistics require unbiased sampling, with sufficient number of samples to have a decently low standard deviation. Plus there are so many different categories of routes, that each one could be given a "score" on their own. I believe it is hard to get representative information from social media posts. We see some fails and some successes on social media. There are so many categories of "routes" that only the Tesla software engineers have a chance at categorizing the "goodness" of the current releases. Nevertheless, it only takes one failed route to demonstrate that FSD still needs driver attention. That is my takeaway from the information I'm seeing from Beta Testers.

Meaningful statistics require unbiased sampling, with sufficient number of samples to have a decently low standard deviation. Plus there are so many different categories of routes, that each one could be given a "score" on their own. I believe it is hard to get representative information from social media posts. We see some fails and some successes on social media. There are so many categories of "routes" that only the Tesla software engineers have a chance at categorizing the "goodness" of the current releases. Nevertheless, it only takes one failed route to demonstrate that FSD still needs driver attention. That is my takeaway from the information I'm seeing from Beta Testers.
A key part of the FSDbeta program is based on "driver attention" so not sure I understand your point. Would you mind clarifying.

Personally, I find the youtube videos helpful in understanding what to expect out of each new version. Most videos are uncut, though, to reduce the tedium, many do fast forward through uneventful straight sections. For those who think that the fast forwarded sections are concealing something, simply use the youtube speed control to slow those down.

Now, if someone is really trying to present FSD beta versions unrealistically, they could certainly drive routes multiple times until they get a good, or bad, result, and show only the one that best serves their purpose. Perhaps that's a good reason to view multiple videos. Certainly, there is no preponderance of 'perfect' drives presented by the majority of videos. In fact, most videos appear to show a mix of good and bad.

Really, it doesn't take too long before you find the posters that you feel present FSD beta in the fairest light. You simply ignore the ones that you feel are too slanted one way or the other. It's still a free (as in speech, not beer) country the last time I checked.

Clickbait titles? Welcome to marketing 101. Over-hyping did not originate with the internet, as anyone born in the previous millennium should be able to attest!
I would say less biased videos are a pretty recent development that started with widening the Beta tester pool size. Prior to widening the Beta, it’s probably fair to state that most videos were edited or showing curated runs the testers knew went well and likely where routes were built to avoid problem areas and portray the system as more proficient than it was.

I mean Tesla had early access beta testers signing NDAs and to acknowledge that many people want Tesla to fail so they were discouraging testers from posting videos showing bad stuff that could be used as ammunition.

That was eventually scrapped after it became public info and the NHTSA came after Tesla because public reporting is something they rely on heavily. Elon then came out with a tweet to cover their asses, suggesting that nobody was adhering to the NDA anyways and that it was as good as being printed on toilet paper.

Theres a loooooong history to this stuff and the current state does not reflect everything that has happened leading up to this point

• Disagree
Reactions: bkp_duke
A key part of the FSDbeta program is based on "driver attention" so not sure I understand your point. Would you mind clarifying.
I'm just trying to say that individuals can not really accurately estimate how well FSD is doing overall. We don't have access to all of the data Tesla collects. Our own personal experiences are a small sample of the larger data set. Like the "interventions per mile" metric. It varies depending upon the type of route. How common are each of the different types of routes across the US? Hopefully Tesla has a complication and categorization of the roads throughout the US (wishful thinking?) and would be able to apply a weight factor to each of those segments to gauge how well FSD would do on average. A hard problem to deal with I would think.