Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Compute redundancy was really more for h/w redundancy than s/w. Tesla designed redundancy in multiple H/W components when they thought they would have robotaxi ready in no time. Now that they are actually developing a new robotaxi - may be it will have true h/w redundancy.
And you'd really want three systems so that you could tell which action was really the action you want to take by using majority rule.

I’m a bit confused. Why would anyone install this at the moment? This doesn’t fix the major panic issues, right? Or did I miss something?

Like most of the releases it’s two steps forward and one step back. So there are befits and downsides.

Latest release contributes to the great good. I don’t know how much Tesla focuses on prior releases when they’ve moved on to a newer release and started the major group push.

Interesting- My previous FSD BETA updates came over LTE cellular, then all I had to do was install? Now I have to go hunt down some WiFi. The iPhone Hot Spot idea is not dependable.

I’ve done download on hotspot several times, and usually while driving. Then just pullover to finish the install part. But if you have poor connection or no unlimited data I get it.

Like most of the releases it’s two steps forward and one step back. So there are befits and downsides.

Latest release contributes to the great good. I don’t know how much Tesla focuses on prior releases when they’ve moved on to a newer release and started the major group push.
Right but presumably they'll roll out another update in a couple days, since that seems like a major issue they'll have to fix before the next major release. It doesn't look uncommon, at all. And seems super annoying, more annoying than FSD normally is. I'd be surprised if they move onto another major release and ignore it for weeks. But I guess it's possible.

I guess you can enjoy the marvelous visualizations as you drive along without looking at the street ;)and just forget about using FSD. Maybe that's a benefit?

I guess if they do update it in a few days, updating now is no big deal. I guess I am trying to avoid being stuck in the situation where they just move on to the next major release.

Last edited:
At a minimum at roundabouts FSD needs to
1. Wait for cars coming from the left
1.1 So, when the roundabout is empty enter it without stopping​
2. Not stop for cars coming from the right

In 10.11.2 FSD doesn't really do any of the above properly. Dirty Tesla shows 1.1 is being done now correctly. What about 1 & 2 ?
I think part of the problem is that FSD tends to brake when it sees a car approaching from a side road. This is the default for roundabouts so it starts to brake to avoid an accident and ends up potentially causing one.

I came back from a drive to lunch & back. Parked in the garage. All normal. Checked my phone (knowing Beta 10.12.2 was being released) & surprise!
Beta 10.12.2 was already a 50% download. I didn't OK it from the car, nor did I OK it from my phone.
I thought it ALWAYS waited for me to accept the download. What if it had started on its own while I was at lunch? I'd have to wait for 1 hour+ to complete the download/install before I could drive home.
Weird. First time for me it's done that in over 4 years of OTA updates.
DL and INSTALL have always been different… if you’re setup to get releases, it should DL then even if you don’t install them.

I’m a bit confused. Why would anyone install this at the moment? This doesn’t fix the major panic issues, right? Or did I miss something?
Did you see the thread a few days ago started by a guy who was selectively downloading Beta updates and is now seemingly kicked out of the Beta? That would be a good reason to rethink your suggestion, maybe?

It did sound like he had done this more than once or twice though so perhaps it’s not a huge gamble. But the consequences of joining those who have been waiting since 12/21 for entry seems like a foolish gamble to me.

Did you see the thread a few days ago started by a guy who was selectively downloading Beta updates and is now seemingly kicked out of the Beta? That would be a good reason to rethink your suggestion, maybe?

No. Link? That would be a good reason I guess, but I doubt it would be an issue for a few days...

Seems like nothing to worry about based on this post, in any case...not an issue (not the same situation at all).

But the consequences of joining those who have been waiting since 12/21 for entry seems like a foolish gamble to me.

Having had FSD Beta, not having it anymore is not very scary sounding. It's definitely the sort of thing I'd want to be in on early, which I was, but now that I've had it, I wouldn't be too concerned about losing it (though to be clear, I wouldn't actively choose to lose it; it is mildly entertaining, and I like to push the bug report button (aka The Black Hole)).

In any case the Tesla NN must already know that I won't update, since it hasn't been pushed to me. So smart.

Last edited:
Reactions: pilotSteve
DL and INSTALL have always been different… if you’re setup to get releases, it should DL then even if you don’t install them.
Thanks tivoboy. I jumped the gun. It actually downloaded the SW, but didn't install it until I did give the OK.
I modified my post to reflect what actually happened.
Sorry about that. I think I got a little anxious waiting for this release!