Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I’m getting red arms of death every 30 seconds or so, no matter how much I torque the yoke. Pretty much have to disengage and re-engage for them to go away.

I have never had a single strike before. Tried a restart. This issue makes this FSD release virtually useless 🤨
It couldn’t possibly be looking at your dogs eyes? …No that’s stupid….But very interesting since my 2021 MSP still says only THREE strikes are allowed?! ( 10.12.2 ). Mine seems to be operating normally.

No update for me as of yet. Just based on anecdotal evidence here though, it sure seems like FSD's performance remains wildly inconsistent. My first several drives on 11.2 were pretty great. Most lately have been atrociously bad. Looking forward to the day when I might have some idea of what to expect when I go for a spin on FSD!

Yea, my first strike ever since being in beta (one of the original 99 score testers). Won’t use FSD until it’s resolved.

Just downloaded last night. I’ve seen several posts similar to this and now I’m nervous to even test this version. I don’t even want a “first strike”. Is this a glitch or bug?

Ski
I got a strike on the way in to work this morning. I was looking forward, watching a pedestrian, my hand was on the wheel, I had just tugged on the wheel 5-10 seconds earlier and there was absolutely no warning; the screaming red wheel of death came up and auto pilot was disabled. WTF??? I've gotten 2 strikes in this fashion now.

I have to say I'm with Ramphex - if it's going to yell at me and threaten to kick me out when I'm following the rules I'm going to stop using it until the next release.

Installed + waiting is 1024 now. Definitely moving to wide release. I've not got it yet - may be I need to wake up my car.
Could be PURE coincidence, but this is the second time now that when a release was in the wild, I went to the car, switched the software update slider from the advanced (early) setting to the normal setting, waiting a minute or two and switched it back. Within an hour, the new release was DL’ing.

MAYBE I’m just timing it perfectly, maybe it IS the wake up of the car prior to switching the toggle, etc..

my 2021 MSP still says only THREE strikes are allowed?! ( 10.12.2 ). Mine seems to be operating normally.
Mine (2017 Model S 100D) also states 3 strikes only (not 5). Also, 10.12.2 is my 2nd FSD Beta update since my first (& so far only) strike.
I was hoping a new release would eliminate previous strike(s), but I guess not.

Wonder why some show they are allowed 5 strikes while others like CaptUAL & myself + others are allowed only 3?

• Informative
Reactions: Phlier
Did you see the thread a few days ago started by a guy who was selectively downloading Beta updates and is now seemingly kicked out of the Beta? That would be a good reason to rethink your suggestion, maybe?

It did sound like he had done this more than once or twice though so perhaps it’s not a huge gamble. But the consequences of joining those who have been waiting since 12/21 for entry seems like a foolish gamble to me.
Or, not installing it could keep me IN the Beta! :D
Fortunately no download for me yet and obviously I won’t be installing it if it does show up.

On the downside, this will probably mean that those who have completely struck out will be allowed back in.

Fortunately no download for me yet and obviously I won’t be installing it if it does show up.

On the downside, this will probably mean that those who have completely struck out will be allowed back in.
Surprising they are rolling this out widely in spite of this bug. May be they think unmarked roads aren't important ...

Yea, my first strike ever since being in beta (one of the original 99 score testers). Won’t use FSD until it’s resolved.
I've also got Immediate take over red hands .... but didn't result in strikes. May be they have some timer before which if you takeover they don't give out a strike. My immediate take overs were because of road conditions confusing FSD.

So I’m getting red arms of death every 30 seconds or so, no matter how much I torque the yoke. Pretty much have to disengage and re-engage for them to go away. Anything else results in this

I have never had a single strike before. Tried a restart. This issue makes this FSD release virtually useless 🤨
I had this happen once before. I had just turned right went a few hundred yards and bang got one. I know I was tugging on the wheel and didn't even have the flashing white light trying to get my attention.

Probably a pissed off coder who just got Elon's "get into the office" email. "I'll FIX him" The surprises in the 12 variant's of Beta. ;)

Surprising they are rolling this out widely in spite of this bug. May be they think unmarked roads aren't important ...

I've also got Immediate take over red hands .... but didn't result in strikes. May be they have some timer before which if you takeover they don't give out a strike. My immediate take overs were because of road conditions confusing FSD.
Yeah there seems to be two different issues here ... one is FSD panicking (looks like a crash to th FSD stack to me) on unmarked roads, which doesnt cause a strike, and another in the driver monitoring causing it to generate spurious strikes.

I know if I get one of these I'm going to send an email to Tesla .. the more of us who do this the faster we will see 10.12.3!

So I’m getting red arms of death every 30 seconds or so, no matter how much I torque the yoke

Yeah there seems to be two different issues here ... one is FSD panicking (looks like a crash to th FSD stack to me) on unmarked roads, which doesnt cause a strike, and another in the driver monitoring causing it to generate spurious strikes.
Hey @Ramphex , could you expound a bit on your red arms of death? Are you getting them via the increasingly aggressive "apply slight turning force to the wheel" nag that will eventually end up in red arms of death if you don't torque the wheel, or are they the instant "Take over immediately" red arms of death that appear suddenly when FSD freaks out?

Edit: Forgot to add the possibility of the "Please Pay Attention" cabin camera driver monitoring alert. Let's put that as a possibility in the mix here.

If the arms of death are being caused by the car not recognizing steering wheel nag inputs to the wheel, then I think @drtimhill is right on the money.

I know if I get one of these I'm going to send an email to Tesla .. the more of us who do this the faster we will see 10.12.3!
If only there existed an official Tesla FSD Beta Testers forum that had people from Tesla's FSD team participating in it.... ;)

Last edited:
Did my usual drop-off-daughter-and-back 2-mile drive this morning.

1)Still tried to clip the curb at the same left turn lane, despite me reporting it 1000 times since 10.8, I’m just reusing the 10.11 video to explain, that was one time I let it go:

2) tried to run curb at another left turn. It used to get too close, now it seems even closer.

3) there was a semi parked in a residential driveway… so of course the head of the semi sticked out and occupied my part of the road. The car seemed planned out a go-around path at first but aborted at the last second. There’s no car around so I waited for a while. It finally decided to go around but very unsure and tried to get back to our side of the road too early, almost ran into the semi so I had to disengage. This and point 2) seem to suggest an even smaller safety margin around obstacles, which I was already not comfortable with before.

3)stopped too far back at a traffic light where it used to be fine.

4) finally didn’t stop at a right turn with cars parked near the intersection, only improvement I have noticed.

And what with all these cars inside my garage? That’s a first. Left is wall with window so tiny reflection might be the cause. Right are just furnitures though… Tesla better gives me these cars for real.

Attachments

• 1973ADAC-8D61-4EA4-8F77-12AE8CAD4385.jpeg
    1973ADAC-8D61-4EA4-8F77-12AE8CAD4385.jpeg
    662.3 KB · Views: 56
And what with all these cars inside my garage? That’s a first. Left is wall with window so tiny reflection might be the cause. Right are just furnitures though…
Yeah. Was pretty obvious from the influencer videos that there were a lot of issues with object identification in this version of beta. This is a bit different than what was in those videos, but still similar.

I’m surprised the car hasn’t shown you the reflection before, but maybe their changes to the NN make this possible at this angle now.

Did my usual drop-off-daughter-and-back 2-mile drive this morning.

1)Still tried to clip the curb at the same left turn lane, despite me reporting it 1000 times since 10.8, I’m just reusing the 10.11 video to explain, that was one time I let it go:

2) tried to run curb at another left turn. It used to get too close, now it seems even closer.

3) there was a semi parked in a residential driveway… so of course the head of the semi sticked out and occupied my part of the road. The car seemed planned out a go-around path at first but aborted at the last second. There’s no car around so I waited for a while. It finally decided to go around but very unsure and tried to get back to our side of the road too early, almost ran into the semi so I had to disengage. This and point 2) seem to suggest an even smaller safety margin around obstacles, which I was already not comfortable with before.

3)stopped too far back at a traffic light where it used to be fine.

4) finally didn’t stop at a right turn with cars parked near the intersection, only improvement I have noticed.

And what with all these cars inside my garage? That’s a first. Left is wall with window so tiny reflection might be the cause. Right are just furnitures though… Tesla better gives me these cars for real.
for me, it's always hugged the curb and is usually between 6-12 inches. I go downhill around 30mph leaving my home for 1/2 mile and it's usually nerve racking. However, I've been in beta for 9 months and it's never clipped the curb. It definitely is too close for comfort. I wish it would center in the lane.

So I’m getting red arms of death every 30 seconds or so, no matter how much I torque the yoke. Pretty much have to disengage and re-engage for them to go away. Anything else results in this

View attachment 811306

This is the email I sent to Tesla EarlyAccess Program:
----------------
I installed 10.12.2 (2022.12.3.20) last night and went for my first drive today. Still NSFW (wife) but that’s another story.

What is totally infuriating is that the internal camera kept zinging me for not watching the road when I WAS! It finally disabled FSD for the remainder of the drive, and when I got home I got a notice that 4 more events like this will result in FSD being revoked. It obviously is having trouble determining where my eyes are pointing and to remove FSD because of this software failure is enough to make my blood boil. I certainly hope you guys jump on this and fix it before my FSD is revoked.

To be complete in what happened, I did test the eye tracking by looking down, then left 45 degrees, then right 45 degrees as I was curious as to what limits were in place. I got maybe 3 warnings during my testing like this. But then I started getting warnings (3 or more) when I was just driving (with FSD enabled) down the road looking straight ahead. And finally it alerted me that FSD was shutting down (while looking straight ahead, again).

Don’t alienate a loyal Tesla customer. Model 3, Model X and Model S-Plaid owner.

VIN: 5YJSA1E69MFxxxxxx
----------------

I don't know what I'll do if they kick me out. I won't be sitting still that much I do know.
Commonality: Both are Model S.

Interesting...

• Informative
Reactions: Ramphex and EVNow