Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well back to my dirt roads on the 3. My usual loop has been done 3 times with a total of about 160 miles. Many instances when the car would go much faster than I was comfortable as I was looking for the point at which the car would say I am concentrating can't go faster.... Prior FSD beta releases on unmarked dirt roads I would get to about 27-32 mph tops. Now there was nothing stopping the speed from increasing except for me to say too much. Blind hills etc..all on dirt. Felt almost like a mad man. So after dialing it back to say 30 I approached oncoming traffic a few times. Dead stop from whatever speed traveling. No alerts or take control, but unsettling to say the least. Just to confirm did it again this AM. Only oncoming cars. This I had experienced in previous releases, but this was like AEB style for those have experienced it. Where prior it was more gradual and wheel would turn a bit away from oncoming car.

I test in a very rural area up where Dirty Tesla lives. Which brings me to the video that he had out the other day. I drove that drive twice. I am sure we all encounter different situations, but many times I was getting the what is this drunk guy doing look, and stopping everywhere. Do FSD beta Youtubers use the feet to get the car going, and isn't that considered intervention?

Overall better in other areas and seemed a bit more confident. So some progress from my little experience.
What’s the speed limited to on unmarked roads now? Same here, rural area, fastest I’ve seen on unmarked roads was around 32.

Just got the update. After the update I rebooted the car, and then cleared the camera calibration and forced it to re-calibrate. After the re-calibration was finished, I setup all the FSD settings (camera recalibration turns everything off). Then I had it take me home - a short drive.

The new visualizations are nice - it's much easier to see what the computer is focusing on (which turns blue). Even sitting at a red light, behind a few cars, the cars crossing with their green light were changing to blue as they went through, telling me the car was keeping an eye on them.

I did notice a few slow downs while driving - one was for a pedestrian that was approaching an intersection, and they changed blue, so I think the car was keeping an eye on them and being cautious, thinking perhaps they'll enter the street. It was unnecessary, but I can understand why the car slowed a little. Another was for a car that was approaching the intersection on my right, in the right turn lane, so they'd turn into my lane if they proceeded. They came up to the light pretty aggressively and braked pretty hard. My car slowed a bit when they changed blue, so again I think it was being overly cautious.

Definitely more caution than I've seen before, but at least now I can see objects in blue that the car is keeping an eye on, so I can try to understand why it makes some decisions.

I was nervous about entering my residential neighborhood, as it's all unmarked roads. Fortunately, I did not have any warnings or errors, and it navigated the streets well - improved over last version which used to swerve around the unmarked roads - this time it stayed mostly to the right side.

But it seems to me the best thing to do to get the beta to be better faster is to complain about all the ways in which it sucks, not say "this should be expected that it doesn't drive the way we do." It's not clear that Tesla listens directly to feedback from testers, but at least if the overall sentiment here is realistic
Which is, hopefully, what we are all doing .. hitting that "report" button every time something we dont like happens. You're right, of course, that if we all sit back and say "its only beta" and not report issues then it always will be beta. But the flip-side is the many posts that say (one way or another) "FSD beta is a disaster, its not ready for prime-time. Outrageous!" which of course entirely miss the point that it is beta and so yeah, it's not ready for prime-time by definition. Like most things in life, the best approach is a balance between complacency and incoherent outrage.

Which is, hopefully, what we are all doing .. hitting that "report" button every time something we dont like happens.
I've said it before & I agree - as long as they keep paying to download the daily teraflops (or whatever massive unit it is) we should happily provide it.

I do hope those with data caps are at least aware of the demands this beta places on their plans.

I am just happy that the update fixed my charge port door that hasn't closed automatically since I installed the new CCS aware ECU. Otherwise all was well, but I drove 4 times unaware that I had left it open. Fortunately after the update it closes a couple of seconds after I unplug the charger, just like it always used to. Whew! 😅

had a fun little ride today which was again really quite good - as @drtimhill mentioned, "confident" is a good way of describing it.
Thankfully, still haven't seen the red hands of doom again since the first test drive on this version.
The oddity I had was approaching a traffic light which I was going straight on at, very closely (50 yards after the light) followed by a side road on the right that I would be turning down.
FSDb decided in its infinite wisdom to start indicating right as we approached the traffic green light, then it drove straight on through the light signalling right the whole time, then turned down the side road. I was very grateful nobody else was at the light, I could just imaging someone seeing the indicator going and pulling out in front of me.
It messed up, but it did it with confidence :)
Yes, I tagged it - and emailed them with an explanation.

I'm starting to warm to this version. I had two good drives through busy Plano, TX streets this evening with no disconnects. That's a first for me! I had to give a little encouragement a couple times with the accelerator at a right turn on red intersection. Turns were smooth throughout..

I did have a couple minor cases of unnecessary slowing as the car approached another car in a left turn lane mid block. This is a carry over from 10.11.2 and may be seen as phantom braking. I don't consider it as such since there does seem to be a reason for it, just not a good reason.

A couple other minor phantom braking - none of which required intervention.

The beauty of a free-market. In the end, all our efforts may just end up being an example to others. We may never get the end product we want with Tesla, but because of us other manufacturers may achieve it. But we still helped make it possible, and a point of pride. :)
Dewg. The guys name and profile picture are about Subarus, on a tesla forum… that says enough right off that bat. “I’m gonna join this tesla forum because I just got a tesla. Hmmmm what should my name be about. I know! Subarus!” But…

A: he doesn’t appreciate what his car CAN do.
B: he’s really not a fan of tesla.
C: he doesn’t actually own a tesla.
D: he does own one, doesn’t get what beta means, and we just need to ignore him.

Well my second ride was not so great. I am back 3 steps to the software from xmas... My first of the betas always swerved into the bike lane, I was so happy in Feb. when they released a version that fixed that. Now it's back. Glad I did my big road trips before this update came out.

Reactions: 2101Guy
Dewg. The guys name and profile picture are about Subarus, on a tesla forum… that says enough right off that bat. “I’m gonna join this tesla forum because I just got a tesla. Hmmmm what should my name be about. I know! Subarus!” But…

A: he doesn’t appreciate what his car CAN do.
B: he’s really not a fan of tesla.
C: he doesn’t actually own a tesla.
D: he does own one, doesn’t get what beta means, and we just need to ignore him.
Just got the update. After the update I rebooted the car, and then cleared the camera calibration and forced it to re-calibrate. After the re-calibration was finished, I setup all the FSD settings (camera recalibration turns everything off). Then I had it take me home - a short drive.
I know you have the "highest non-fsd beta safety score ever" but wtf man...

FSD Beta 10.12.2 doesn’t seem to have learned how to handle the bus and MAX lanes on 6th Ave in downtown Portland. Is this a GPS issue or just too advanced for FSD still?

When making a right turn onto the one way (north bound) street, you must turn into the far left lane of three lanes (the right two of which are reserved for public transit vehicles)

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
Pick up some garlic stuffed olives for me, would you?
That’s all they had.

This update is disappointing other than the graphics and increase frame rate. It still changes lanes for no reason. Doesn’t creep up on right turns on a red light. Confused by Y fork. The left turns on intersection is slightly better but still not safe. It thinks there are 3 cars in my garage when it’s just a 2 car garage. The chicken Caesar salad was good and that’s how I’ll end it.

Attachments

• 7ADFAA61-B237-432E-A40A-59C6DECEDA2E.jpeg
    7ADFAA61-B237-432E-A40A-59C6DECEDA2E.jpeg
    433.4 KB · Views: 40
  • 927CF186-0B0C-4682-9C28-7588D645A1DB.jpeg
    927CF186-0B0C-4682-9C28-7588D645A1DB.jpeg
    580.7 KB · Views: 38
  • E6FF135C-6427-490E-B7A6-4EDF9A2DE402.jpeg
    E6FF135C-6427-490E-B7A6-4EDF9A2DE402.jpeg
    419.9 KB · Views: 33
  • Funny
Reactions: Supcom and CaptUAL