Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I expect it's purely coincidental, but has anyone else had a 12v battery fail on FSD Beta 10.12 (2022.12.3.20)? With no prior battery symptoms or warnings, mine was dead this morning, about 30 hours after installing 10.12. I jump started using the wires behind the front tow cover and drove about 15 miles to the service center. Using FSD on the way there, visualizations were accurate, but decision-making seemed much less capable than drives with the same software version the day before. Although it could be related to bad 12v voltage regulation with the degraded 12v battery, it seems odd that Tesla would let it engage if supply voltage is not stable enough for FSD.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: FSDtester#1
I expect it's purely coincidental, but has anyone else had a 12v battery fail on FSD Beta 12.2? With no prior battery symptoms or warnings, mine was dead this morning, about 30 hours after installing 12.2. I jump started using the wires behind the front tow cover and drove about 15 miles to the service center. Using FSD on the way there, visualizations were accurate, but decision-making seemed much less capable than drives with the same software version the day before. Although it could be related to bad 12v voltage regulation with the degraded 12v battery, it seems odd that Tesla would let it engage if supply voltage is not stable enough for FSD.

1654182423384.png

Updated to 10.12.2 last night. I had a positive experience this morning. My home road is a somewhat narrow road, wider than 1 car but not wide enough for 2, hilly, curvey, and some blind hills/corners as well. Past FSD would alternate by accelerating to 35 and then slowing to 15 repeatedly/unnecessarily, about 8 times down the 1 mile road, and in general acting very confused. For months I haven't bothered with FSD on my home's road as its too irritating.

10.12.2 this morning showed VAST improvement. It had only 1 unnecessary slow down and otherwise drove exactly as I would have driven. Color me impressed so far. I wonder how it will do with an approaching car from forward... If the road has room for me to pull over into the grass some I do. If not, the opposing car generally does. Its a friendly area

I then let it join the highway via right turn (no traffic), and perform a protected left then merging onto the interstate. It had no unnecessary 2-4mph annoying slow down braking either

I'm rather excited to try it over lunch in a semi-urban area and on the drive home. Still waaay waaay off from L3-L5 (Don't see the HW being L4/L5 capable), but a measurable improvement from my experience - and I have been very pessimistic this past year.

It wasn’t forced to be on until this update. I’ve had that spy garbage turned off the entire time until now. Let’s be real, if I still have to play the wheel torque game then I’m not playing the camera game. Tesla needs to pick one or the other, else it’s easier to just drive manually.

The FSD/AP wheel/yoke/camera nags have become more annoying than having a driving instructor in the front seat and your wife and mother in the back seat going on a road trip.
Ramphex, where did your Tesla touch you? Can you show us on this doll? Dude, you're showing a lot of anger over a safety feature. Telsa is just trying to cover their ass and help stop idiots from turning on FSD Beta and jumping into the back seat while their car potentially drives into another car or pedestrian. You know full well that there are devices (weights) that can bypass the wheel torque "game" (as you call it), so Telsa had to do something to improve safety.

Currently you cannot engage FSD Beta without: wheel torque, seatbelt fastened, weight on the seat, and now facial recognition. All this because people put weights on the wheel, and fasten the belt around a bowling ball to bypass safety systems. Don't blame Tesla, blame the jack-holes creating headlines with stupid Youtube stunts.

It is an amazing technological feat - part of what is nice about being in the beta is seeing the abilities and limitations of this particular system - but that doesn’t mean it is useful and in the end the accomplishment is/will be judged relative to other offerings.
This is the genius of FSD Beta. I think it is very unlikely that any manufacturer will ever release a "driver assistance system" that is as capable as FSD Beta.
The question is - if this is the level of change we can see after nearly 2 months, how can Tesla reach human level driving in 6 more months i.e. 3 more releases?
Karpathy comes back from sabbatical with the solution to FSD.

Karpathy comes back from sabbatical with the solution to FSD.
Karpathy had a few tweets about using Transformers and looks like Tesla is doing it according to Musk tweets.

Ofcourse, seriously, I doubt there is any single "silver bullet" to solving FSD. It will be just a grind - hopefully evolving fast than it has this year.

As Musk has alluded to - I think the peanut gallery places too much importance on Karpathy for FSD. There are probably equally important or even more important people in the team but with little twitter presence.

Ramphex, where did your Tesla touch you? Can you show us on this doll? Dude, you're showing a lot of anger over a safety feature. Telsa is just trying to cover their ass and help stop idiots from turning on FSD Beta and jumping into the back seat while their car potentially drives into another car or pedestrian. You know full well that there are devices (weights) that can bypass the wheel torque "game" (as you call it), so Telsa had to do something to improve safety.

Currently you cannot engage FSD Beta without: wheel torque, seatbelt fastened, weight on the seat, and now facial recognition. All this because people put weights on the wheel, and fasten the belt around a bowling ball to bypass safety systems. Don't blame Tesla, blame the jack-holes creating headlines with stupid Youtube stunts.
except when the 'safety monitors' are ineffective, inconsistent, unreliable and prone to false positives you end up with the worst of both worlds. I get why they have them but they keep making things worse, not better.

I've gotten two strikes now when I'm doing nothing wrong. I've been yelled at by the computer for not looking at the road when I'm looking straight ahead. I've had it tell me to take over when I'm actively steering. I've had it put me in time out without warning when I'm holding on and putting torque on the wheel. Half the problem is not the drivers. It's that they make crappy, ineffectual monitoring systems and then pile more crappy systems on top of them because they don't work well.

I'd forgotten I could look. Thanks! I just checked. "This car has no such incidents" or some such message. Yay. Still, they were alarming events.
Check the flash drive; that was a problem I had months ago. I couldn't engage the FSD for more than 1 min max, usually less. Proved to be a dying flash drive and replacing the drive fixed it. A friend had similar problems and for him a low level format of the flash drive took care of the "red wheel of death" occurrences

The question is - if this is the level of change we can see after nearly 2 months, how can Tesla reach human level driving in 6 more months i.e. 3 more releases?
By scoping the language down to the kind of human driver they’re benchmarking - someone driving for the very first time perhaps? By that measure I think it’ll be superhuman by end of year as promised ;)

• Funny
Reactions: VanFriscia
except when the 'safety monitors' are ineffective, inconsistent, unreliable and prone to false positives you end up with the worst of both worlds. I get why they have them but they keep making things worse, not better.

I've gotten two strikes now when I'm doing nothing wrong. I've been yelled at by the computer for not looking at the road when I'm looking straight ahead. I've had it tell me to take over when I'm actively steering. I've had it put me in time out without warning when I'm holding on and putting torque on the wheel. Half the problem is not the drivers. It's that they make crappy, ineffectual monitoring systems and then pile more crappy systems on top of them because they don't work well.
Do you think your situation is normal and affecting everyone? If not, get it fixed. Open service tickets and take the car to a service center. Have a tech ride with you and show them.

Reactions: danharr
Do you think your situation is normal and affecting everyone? If not, get it fixed. Open service tickets and take the car to a service center. Have a tech ride with you and show them.
From the posts here it's not isolated. It's also inconsistent enough that I can't reliably reproduce it but frequent enough to be a problem. Beyond that, what is a service tech going to do? This is a software issue, not a hardware one. The solution lies with the programming team, not the service center.

Reactions: VanFriscia
From the posts here it's not isolated. It's also inconsistent enough that I can't reliably reproduce it but frequent enough to be a problem. Beyond that, what is a service tech going to do? This is a software issue, not a hardware one. The solution lies with the programming team, not the service center.
Then have your software wiped and reloaded on your car at a service center (like a factory reset). Your situation is an aberration and only affecting a small group of people. Could be your specific model or the parts used on your model, or a software/setting corruption. Whatever the problem, there is a solution. If it's a hardware problem, then the service center can diagnose it. If it's a software problem, then a factory wipe and reload may help, or there is a bug with your specific hardware configuration which needs to be brought to Tesla's attention (either from you e-mailing them the exact details of your issue, or the service center sending notes) so they can analyze and fix in a future update.

Edit: A full factory wipe and reload the software on the car will likely kick you out of the FSD Beta - so you need to weight what's more important to you.

and "everyone must be in the office"---plenty of high demand ML developers are going to bail after that own goal.
For anyone to work in Tesla - they must actually "want" to work in Tesla. They are well known to be a very high pressure, 60 hrs a week workplace with no work/life balance. So, already people who care about things like WFH or work/life balance don't work for Tesla.

BTW, a lot of people wouldn't want to quit either - for the same reason.

and "everyone must be in the office"---plenty of high demand ML developers are going to bail after that own goal.

The 'reasoning' that factory workers have to come in to their plant too would be like making all the assembly workers take python coding tests.
yea, what a tone deaf position for him to take. He needs top talent far more than they need Tesla.

Reactions: edseloh and 2101Guy
yea, what a tone deaf position for him to take. He needs top talent far more than they need Tesla.
Definitely tone deaf - but its also possible this has been conveyed multiple times before and people are not listening to him. So he has to send a tougher message ...

BTW, the open positions always note that the position is in-person and not remote. So, shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone.

Definitely tone deaf - but its also possible this has been conveyed multiple times before and people are not listening to him. So he has to send a tougher message ...

BTW, the open positions always note that the position is in-person and not remote. So, shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone.
Tesla also had 3.5 million people apply to work with them in 2021.
Space X and Tesla are rated #1 and #2 globally as places people want to work.
If Elon wants to make a rule that he himself follows, then others should get on board or get their resumes in order.

Last edited: