Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Definitely tone deaf - but its also possible this has been conveyed multiple times before and people are not listening to him. So he has to send a tougher message ...

BTW, the open positions always note that the position is in-person and not remote. So, shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone.
Second hand info from people I know that were interviewing recently - Tesla recruiters were selling remote work as recent as the last couple months

The question is - if this is the level of change we can see after nearly 2 months, how can Tesla reach human level driving in 6 more months i.e. 3 more releases?

3 releases seems like way too short a time frame. I was thinking, how much better would FSD be after, say, 20 more releases? I think a LOT better... Like, mind-blowingly better. We've not had that many releases since the original FSD beta and there's been very noticeable improvement from then to now.

I'm not optimistic about Level 5 -- I just went around a corner and directly into a tree-cutting truck where they placed cones to route traffic around the truck in such an inobvious way that *I* had trouble figuring out what they intended. No idea what a car with no steering wheel could do if it couldn't figure out whether a coned space was intended to be a blocked area or a travel area, or what it would do if it picked the wrong one and ended up confronting another car head-on in a space coned only wide enough for one vehicle, especially if anybody had followed the respective vehicles.

But outside of craziness like that, I fully expect that given 20 releases, FSD could take me from my house to anywhere I want to go with the only interventions being places -- if any -- where the existing camera angles didn't allow the car to see traffic coming from the sides. They'll need stuff like designating more than just an address (e.g. a drop-off door for large buildings) and identifying and pulling into supercharger spots, but that doesn't seem so hard compared to the rest of FSD.

If the releases take an average of 1+ months each, 20 releases is still quite a while, of course. :)

Dewg. The guys name and profile picture are about Subarus, on a tesla forum… that says enough right off that bat. “I’m gonna join this tesla forum because I just got a tesla. Hmmmm what should my name be about. I know! Subarus!” But…

A: he doesn’t appreciate what his car CAN do.
B: he’s really not a fan of tesla.
C: he doesn’t actually own a tesla.
D: he does own one, doesn’t get what beta means, and we just need to ignore him.
If you had any idea how much @AlanSubie4Life has contributed to this forum...

You know what, I'm just gonna leave it at that.

Which brings me to my point: How will I ever trust it?
I agree with your entire post, but would like to add one thing...

I don't want to sound like some virtue signalling, holier than thou, arrogant jerk, but no matter how I word this, I'm gonna sound exactly that way. :(

Please don't ever trust it. Ever. Act as if its sole reason for existence is to kill you. Treat it like an 8 year old human is driving the car, and you're providing the adult supervision.

Don't trust it until they remove the steering wheel from the car.

Just one of many sources, i should have stated engineers.. OK????

Last edited:
This update is disappointing other than the graphics and increase frame rate
So what does the graphics have to do with anything? Tesla mentions it and people talk about it, but the display is separate from the FSD computer. Any changes to the graphics is simply window dressing and may or may not reflect changes to the actual abilities of the system.

Reactions: Phlier
3 releases seems like way too short a time frame. I was thinking, how much better would FSD be after, say, 20 more releases? I think a LOT better... Like, mind-blowingly better. We've not had that many releases since the original FSD beta and there's been very noticeable improvement from then to now.
We have had 12 main beta releases so far. Last year they came in much faster - an average of 15 days between releases. But since 10.9 (1/17/22), we have had only 3 releases at an average of 43 days per release.

If the releases take an average of 1+ months each, 20 releases is still quite a while, of course.

If we use 45 days per release, 20 releases will be 900 days or about 2 1/2 years i.e. end of 2024.

BTW, that is the timeframe MobilEye / Zeekr give for level 4 FSD in China.

1654199758633.png

Tesla also had 3.5 million people apply to work with them in 2021.
Space X and Tesla are rated #1 and #2 globally as places people want to work.
If Elon wants to make a rule that he himself follows, then others should get on board or get their resumes in order.
the thing is WFH is not about work life balance. These developers often put in grueling 80-100 hour weeks WFH. That's the nature of their jobs and they are simply more efficient with WFH than at a typical office setting like a business analyst or non-tech person. There is an elite, select group in the silicon valley that has the skillset and most of those folks are not going to buy into this BS. He can dictate all he wants but the fact is that he will lose the very top talent because they are in such high demand.

Reactions: nvx1977
the thing is WFH is not about work life balance. These developers often put in grueling 80-100 hour weeks WFH. That's the nature of their jobs and they are simply more efficient with WFH than at a typical office setting like a business analyst or non-tech person. There is an elite, select group in the silicon valley that has the skillset and most of those folks are not going to buy into this BS. He can dictate all he wants but the fact is that he will lose the very top talent because they are in such high demand.

I've worked at a remote-friendly company for 5 years. our company stock has grown in lockstep with TSLA. Remote is definitely viable. It's a different paradigm, and it's not perfect, but it works well ironically in companies where people are more focused on the mission than compensation, like Tesla. If only Musk would do some first principles digging into remote work, he might change his mind.

Elon can always give exceptions if they are so good.

I've worked at a remote-friendly company for 5 years. our company stock has grown in lockstep with TSLA. Remote is definitely viable. It's a different paradigm, and it's not perfect, but it works well ironically in companies where people are more focused on the mission than compensation, like Tesla. If only Musk would do some first principles digging into remote work, he might change his mind.
So do I. But it’s a software company - not a manufacturing company.

For us the basic fact is - teams are already not co-located. So, even when I used to go to the office all interactions would be on phone / IM. It makes no difference whether I sat at my home or office.

But if the pace of work is fast moving, team is co-located and they do a lot of white-boarding and have a lot of face to face interactions, in person might be better.

Devs who are mostly loners and not team players, probably prefer to WFH anyway ….

Last edited:
On topic:

More driving on 10.12.2. Observations:

- the perceived confidence borders on over-assertive in some situations, where it's accelerating hard in places where it has limited visibility. Human intuition says to slow down in case there might be an oncoming car. My hope is that the car is actually situationally aware when being "confident" and not just going faster blindly.

- saw some indecision with lane choice as well as extraneous turn signal use. In this particular situation, it ended up picking the correct lane.

- whimsical hesitations definitely reduced on long stretches of 2-lane roads with double yellow divider.

- car gets nervous too late: was going straight and a truck pulled up on a side road somewhat quickly and braked hard. My reaction was to slow down but decided to let it go because I saw the truck slam on the brakes. After passing that truck, my car braked. Feels like slow reflexes.

If only Musk would do some first principles digging into remote work, he might change his mind.

I think he's turning more misanthropic and aggressive. This is a time-honored way to get rid of people who have families and older (i.e. >35) tech workers. They have offices only in the most expensive parts of the country with terrible commuting traffic. They only want young men who cram into apartments which are close enough to the office.

Then have your software wiped and reloaded on your car at a service center (like a factory reset). Your situation is an aberration and only affecting a small group of people. Could be your specific model or the parts used on your model, or a software/setting corruption. Whatever the problem, there is a solution. If it's a hardware problem, then the service center can diagnose it. If it's a software problem, then a factory wipe and reload may help, or there is a bug with your specific hardware configuration which needs to be brought to Tesla's attention (either from you e-mailing them the exact details of your issue, or the service center sending notes) so they can analyze and fix in a future update.

Edit: A full factory wipe and reload the software on the car will likely kick you out of the FSD Beta - so you need to weight what's more important to you.
well, that's the problem. Normally these things are annoyances. At worst I stop, put the car in park then back in drive and continue on my way. With FSD there's an actual penalty when the system fails.