Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have had this happen a couple times on 10.12, although I never let it go as far as in that video. Definitely an issue.

I let it go a bit since no running cars were at that cross road, but I also didn’t expect/ couldn’t believe it tries to go back “straight” at that point, it never does that before. I was caught off guard for sure. I took over when I realized it really wanted to go “straight” instead of figuring out the turn.

I agree with your entire post, but would like to add one thing...

I don't want to sound like some virtue signalling, holier than thou, arrogant jerk, but no matter how I word this, I'm gonna sound exactly that way. :(

Please don't ever trust it. Ever. Act as if its sole reason for existence is to kill you. Treat it like an 8 year old human is driving the car, and you're providing the adult supervision.

Don't trust it until they remove the steering wheel from the car.
I really do like using it . im off to try a 7 hr drive all on FSD ( and beta) . BUT....... I wont be taking a nap with it yet,, it does make the drive less tiresome, and now with lots of super charger I can time that to match lunch/ dinner. as they say its all good! its more of a GLASNOST thing . " trust but verify "

well, that's the problem. Normally these things are annoyances. At worst I stop, put the car in park then back in drive and continue on my way. With FSD there's an actual penalty when the system fails.
I have been put into AutoPilot jail for using the pedal to temporarily accelerate beyond 80 mph while passing and have had the red steering wheel in rare past cases where FSD/AP panicked and gave up. None of those ever counted against me for FSD.

I suspect the main case that counts for FSD purposes is if it thinks you aren’t paying attention and/or don’t have your hands on the wheel.

• Informative
Reactions: Rusty1
well, that's the problem. Normally these things are annoyances. At worst I stop, put the car in park then back in drive and continue on my way. With FSD there's an actual penalty when the system fails.
It's sad to say, but you might get kicked off beta no matter what. ☹️

The only option I can think of to save your beta access is to avoid using beta at all until the next update, and hope that fixes it.

So what's the verdict here on installing this? I haven't seen a ton of new reports about FSD strikes today, so I'm a bit torn about whether it's something specific to a few users or whether we've only seen the tip of the iceberg. Does it really hassle users more in general, or do we just have some routine strikes blamed by users on the new software even though there is no causation?

Not that I'm in a rush, since I'm not driving much at all at the moment. Just pondering, and no time to follow all the Twitter and social media posts about whether or not there's an underlying issue...anyone "plugged in" enough to know? I guess being able to go 85mph on the freeway if necessary would be a plus; really the only obvious benefit I see to going forward. I guess I also have to baseline a couple drives; maybe I'll record them, just so I can compare as objectively as possible (though of limited value since repeatability is relatively poor).

Did about 150 miles today on 10.12.2. Freeway, country & city roads. No Red Wheels, lots of little spastic acts. Other than the prettier screen in the MSP, I really didn’t feel like there was much change. Trouble making turns and diving for the dirt on side lanes. Lot of little phantom braking, jerky wheel turns and just coming to a stop for no reason. I was happy to now see FIVE Strikes allowed from Three in the release notes for my 2021 MSP. I know they said Big Changes….I just really didn’t see that.

So what's the verdict here on installing this? I haven't seen a ton of new reports about FSD strikes today, so I'm a bit torn about whether it's something specific to a few users or whether we've only seen the tip of the iceberg. Does it really hassle users more in general, or do we just have some routine strikes blamed by users on the new software even though there is no causation?

Not that I'm in a rush, since I'm not driving much at all at the moment. Just pondering, and no time to follow all the Twitter and social media posts about whether or not there's an underlying issue...anyone "plugged in" enough to know? I guess being able to go 85mph on the freeway if necessary would be a plus; really the only obvious benefit I see to going forward. I guess I also have to baseline a couple drives; maybe I'll record them, just so I can compare as objectively as possible (though of limited value since repeatability is relatively poor).

I haven't encountered any of the FSD crashing red hands error.

I haven't been dinged by my cabin camera for not paying attention.

As far as driving comfort, i'd say it's comparable to 10.11.2. Some things are better, some things are worse.

Unless you are a victim of FSD crashing a lot or getting phantom penalized by your cabin camera, I'd say it's a bit better than 10.11.2.

Not sure if this is helpful, since you can't know about the crashes and the pay attention dings unless you try it.

So far I'm not having any nag issues, same as it was before which was infrequent as I keep slight torque on the wheel all the time. It's definitely more cautious, I think a few more decisions are being sent to the NNs so we need to gather data and tweek over the next few updates.

I think there is an issue with object recognition in this update. My car is showing objects like shrubs and trees on center medians as other cars and trucks for an instant. Usually doesn't react to them, but could cause problems so I'm extra vigilant.

I haven't seen a ton of new reports about FSD strikes today,
So far, the only "why is it striking me???" reports I've seen are on Model S cars that have the cabin camera, and it's the cabin camera induced "Please Pay Attention" message that's causing the problem.

Has anyone seen a report of cabin camera related strikes in other models (with this FSD Beta version), by chance?

It kinda seems like a partial regression, in that the last time the cabin camera was handing out strikes, it didn't care what model you were driving; if it had a cabin camera, there was the potential for false warnings/strikes. Interesting that it has only been seen in Model S cars so far... at least, that I'm aware of.

I still haven't had a chance to take it out for a drive yet...

• Informative
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
I know they said Big Changes….I just really didn’t see that.

That's not what the most recent statements I could find said (perhaps I missed one?):

So nothing about "big changes." ;) Just "big" and a "big one."😂

So it's not surprising that there are few changes. Not too much was promised!

I guess you could argue that the release notes promised improvements in certain scenarios.

Last edited:
Reactions: edseloh
So far, the only "why is it striking me???" reports I've seen are on Model S cars that have the cabin camera, and it's the cabin camera induced "Please Pay Attention" message that's causing the problem.

Has anyone seen a report of cabin camera related strikes in other models (with this FSD Beta version), by chance?

It kinda seems like a partial regression, in that the last time the cabin camera was handing out strikes, it didn't care what model you were driving; if it had a cabin camera, there was the potential for false warnings/strikes. Interesting that it has only been seen in Model S cars so far... at least, that I'm aware of.

I'm driving a MYLR. And a red-wheel panic stop within 100' of activating it, then had a strike against me with no warning yesterday morning when I was looking straight ahead and holding the wheel. I have no idea why I got a strike since it doesn't tell you. I haven't used FSD since then.

• Informative
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
It's sad to say, but you might get kicked off beta no matter what. ☹️

The only option I can think of to save your beta access is to avoid using beta at all until the next update, and hope that fixes it.
Yeah - that's what I'm figuring. It really sucks because there's no recourse, no appeal it's just some random flawed algorithm that goes off and you're screwed.

after my strike yesterday I turned off FSD so you won't see another one from me because I'm not using it. Since I have no idea why I got the strike I have no way of preventing it or giving advice to anyone. I hate to admit this, but I've more or less decided to get a weight for the steering wheel since there doesn't appear to be any other good way for me to prevent random strikes.

in the 15 miles or so of driving I did before that I wasn't impressed by it. I still had a ton of disengagements. A few things were marginally better, some things worse and the major issues I experienced were not fixed at all.

That's not what the most recent statements I could find said (perhaps I missed one?):

So nothing about "big changes." ;) Just "big" and a "big one."😂

So it's not surprising that there are few changes. Not too much was promised!

I guess you could argue that the release notes promised improvements in certain scenarios.

The "big changes" translated into "significantly different driving style" for the car. That is popularly being described as the car being more confident and assertive in a lot of turns. I still encounter hesitant and jerky turns, usually when I'm at a T intersection. Lane choice seems better, but seems like there are still lingering issues from the last release. I might also venture to say that perception improved moderately, but decision-making is still iffy.

Had it happen on my M3 yesterday. Strike without warning. Rebooted car and all seemed fine. Had a 60 mile drive today without the issue. Then on the return drive it popped up again out of nowhere. I cut FSD off quickly before it gave me another strike. Definitely a software glitch.