Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Went out and did a bunch of unprotected left turns similar to Chuck Cook's UPL testing today. I worked UPLs on two four-lane roads with medians to see how well improved 10.12.2 is and see if the car would use the median.

The first road had moderate traffic density with stop signs about 1/4 mile left and right that metered the traffic. This ensured that there was usually some cross traffic in each direction, but also ensured that there would be only a few cars with frequent gaps. I did about 10 UPLs from an intersection with good visibility in each direction.

The second road had heavier traffic, similar to the intersection where Chuck Cook films his youtube videos. visibility varied depending on th eintersection used, but generally good visibility in each direction. I did about 10 UPLs here as well.

The Good:
  • FSD performed an acceptable turn about 8 times out of 10 on the first road and about 5 of 10 on the second. I was pleasantly surprised at how much improved this was over previous versions.
  • All turns were smoothly executed with no steering wheel jerking.
  • The car applied more acceleration coming out of the turn than in the past. Much more. It would turn out into the lane with a car coming up from behind, then romp on the juice. Nice to see the car use some more of it's capabilities!
  • The car definitely used the median. The first time it did this, I was really surprised. It did this about half the time.
  • FSD never bailed out to take a right turn instead of the left, as happened to Chuck Cook in his 10.12.2 UPL video. His intersection does have more blockage to the left than the ones I used.
The Bad:
  • It takes a LOT of faith to let FSD creep at the line. It will creep forward further than you think is safe and start the creep just as a car is crossing on your left. It is very hard to trust it and not hit the brake to disconnect. In my case (YMMV!) FSD always stopped, but it took a couple attempts before I became confident in it. Use caution and keep your foot covering the brake!
  • On some tests, FSD hesitated entering the intersection too long when the road was clear.
  • Once FSD entered the intersection, it would often move very slowly across the first set of lanes to the point that approaching traffic from the left would get too close and I would need to intervene with the accelerator if the way from the right was clear.
The Ugly:
  • One the busier road, the median is narrower than the first. FSD would stop in the median, but would not, or could not, move into it far enough. This left the rear half of the car in a lane of approaching traffic. This is a high pucker-factor scenario that required intervention.
  • I got one Red Wheel of Death on approaching one of the turns on an unlined residential street. FSD beta came back available in a few seconds, so not a major factor. This was the first RWD I've gotten on this version.
The bottom line is that, although still needing work, UPLs were far improved over the previous version.

Wow. With FSD 10.12.2 I'm sending in more problem videos than before.

This version is very skittish. It's steering vacillates a lot on simple neighborhood streets and makes a lot of small swerves, avoiding unseen obstacles.

I don't feel I can trust it making turns in front of oncoming cars. It continues to creep forward, sometimes into the edge of the lane, as the other car approaches instead of sitting still and waiting for the car to pass. I assume it won't proceed until the other car passes but it's too uncomfortable to rely on in my opinion.

It commits strongly when making turns but several times has been too fast on right turns so it enters the far lane instead of the near one.

I was showing my wife how the new software had improved the speed and confidence of a left turn off a highway we take when going home. She had complained how slow it was before. Well, the car started the turn then slammed on the brakes in the middle of the turn. My wife screamed. There were no oncoming cars so it wasn't dangerous but I'm not allowed to use FSD with her in the car anymore.

I hope they come up with an update sooner than before because this version needs a lot of refinement to make it comfortable to use.

I don't feel I can trust it making turns in front of oncoming cars. It continues to creep forward, sometimes into the edge of the lane, as the other car approaches instead of sitting still and waiting for the car to pass. I assume it won't proceed until the other car passes but it's too uncomfortable to rely on in my opinion.

I really hate this behavior from FSDb. Even if there's no risk of collision, the other car probably gets nervous... "why is this car still moving out? does it not see me?"

I really hate this behavior from FSDb. Even if there's no risk of collision, the other car probably gets nervous... "why is this car still moving out? does it not see me?"

I’m convinced the “ autopilot team” just sit in front of the computer watching videos and codes and never touch the car. Same with their UI team

Agree completely. On a UPL that I encounter every time I leave my house, it keeps rolling / creeping until I feel the need to hit the brake every single time. I will not take the chance that it pulls out in front and gets me t-boned.... and it's not fair to make the other drivers panic that my car is still rolling.

I would like to see it pause the creep whenever a car is quickly approaching from the left, and then resume when there is a window when no car is closely approaching. That's what I do, and it can too.

Went out and did a bunch of unprotected left turns similar to Chuck Cook's UPL testing today. I worked UPLs on two four-lane roads with medians to see how well improved 10.12.2 is and see if the car would use the median.

The first road had moderate traffic density with stop signs about 1/4 mile left and right that metered the traffic. This ensured that there was usually some cross traffic in each direction, but also ensured that there would be only a few cars with frequent gaps. I did about 10 UPLs from an intersection with good visibility in each direction.

The second road had heavier traffic, similar to the intersection where Chuck Cook films his youtube videos. visibility varied depending on th eintersection used, but generally good visibility in each direction. I did about 10 UPLs here as well.

The Good:
  • FSD performed an acceptable turn about 8 times out of 10 on the first road and about 5 of 10 on the second. I was pleasantly surprised at how much improved this was over previous versions.
  • All turns were smoothly executed with no steering wheel jerking.
  • The car applied more acceleration coming out of the turn than in the past. Much more. It would turn out into the lane with a car coming up from behind, then romp on the juice. Nice to see the car use some more of it's capabilities!
  • The car definitely used the median. The first time it did this, I was really surprised. It did this about half the time.
  • FSD never bailed out to take a right turn instead of the left, as happened to Chuck Cook in his 10.12.2 UPL video. His intersection does have more blockage to the left than the ones I used.
The Bad:
  • It takes a LOT of faith to let FSD creep at the line. It will creep forward further than you think is safe and start the creep just as a car is crossing on your left. It is very hard to trust it and not hit the brake to disconnect. In my case (YMMV!) FSD always stopped, but it took a couple attempts before I became confident in it. Use caution and keep your foot covering the brake!
  • On some tests, FSD hesitated entering the intersection too long when the road was clear.
  • Once FSD entered the intersection, it would often move very slowly across the first set of lanes to the point that approaching traffic from the left would get too close and I would need to intervene with the accelerator if the way from the right was clear.
The Ugly:
  • One the busier road, the median is narrower than the first. FSD would stop in the median, but would not, or could not, move into it far enough. This left the rear half of the car in a lane of approaching traffic. This is a high pucker-factor scenario that required intervention.
  • I got one Red Wheel of Death on approaching one of the turns on an unlined residential street. FSD beta came back available in a few seconds, so not a major factor. This was the first RWD I've gotten on this version.
The bottom line is that, although still needing work, UPLs were far improved over the previous version.
I let my car do a double divided intersection, unprotected left turn, about an hour ago. Cross traffic was heavy with a large median. Talk about puckered, i had my hands and feet ready to take over. I let it wait till it was ready and the car timed it and then shot across the intersection right into the proper lane. it went a little to fast and had to hit the brakes when the person on the opposite side slid over into the left lane. I think the car timed its action base that car turning right, and staying in the right lane.

I have been plagued with terrible drivers all around me for the last to days. They must know I'm beta testing! I am getting more stupid moves, cut off and everything else. Ran down to DC and drove around town. Ran here and there on roads that I'm not normally on and 12.2 is doing quiet well. Lane changes, wrong lane changes are my biggest beefs with the system at the moment. I'm still taping the gas pedal out of shear habit. I need to calm down and let it try.

I had stated before, I'm getting out of my neighborhood about 2 minutes faster. The car is more confident and decisive with turns and stop signs. It does creep through a stop sign when it has been painted as a pedestrian cross walk. No more neighbors riding my butt. I pull right away from them.

Wow. With FSD 10.12.2 I'm sending in more problem videos than before.

This version is very skittish. It's steering vacillates a lot on simple neighborhood streets and makes a lot of small swerves, avoiding unseen obstacles.

It commits strongly when making turns but several times has been too fast on right turns so it enters the far lane instead of the near one.

I was showing my wife how the new software had improved the speed and confidence of a left turn off a highway we take when going home. She had complained how slow it was before. Well, the car started the turn then slammed on the brakes in the middle of the turn. My wife screamed. There were no oncoming cars so it wasn't dangerous but I'm not allowed to use FSD with her in the car anymore.

I hope they come up with an update sooner than before because this version needs a lot of refinement to make it comfortable to use.

My experience lines up with yours almost 100%. Definitely more skittish and lot more quick steering jerkiness compared to previous versions. I also find it hesitates a lot in the middle of intersections, so I have to use the gas just to push it through.

The only major improvement I can see is that it accelerates from a stop/light with much more authority now, also most of the random turn signal behavior from 11.2 seems fixed. But overall, i've waited on passing judgement until i'd used 12.2 for a few days, but it hasn't gotten much better. Far more interventions for me on this version than 11.2.

Anyone noticing the pulsing of Regen as you approach a red light. I'm now feeling 2 or 3 pulses of idle or light regen as the car approaches a red light at higher speeds 50-60 MPH. No more charge the light and not leave a foot of space with the car in front of you.

A main reason for disengagements for me is not knowing if FSD has actually initiated a turn or just creeping forward to help FSD decide to go/stay?
I suspect some of my disengagements are actually thinking FSD has started the turn when it's still in the creep phase. What do others think?

Agreed, this has been driving me bonkers all throughout the beta. It's actually worse on 10.12 because it tends to be much more aggressive with both creeping and turning, and performance is so inconsistent that I really don't have the confidence to let it try in most cases. Something like a confirmation chime once it's committed to completing the turn would be helpful in signaling the car's intent to the driver.

I sense a pattern here. There are other posts with similar feedback. It would be helpful if FSD was fine tuned enough so you could tell the difference between creeping and actually going. I know I certainly drive in a manner that one can easily tell the difference.

Reactions: VanFriscia
It would be helpful if FSD was fine tuned enough so you could tell the difference between creeping and actually going.
That would be very helpful!

Half a dozen cars were stopped at a railroad crossing in town. Two lane road, double yellow line, single lane barriers down on each side, flashing lights visible, unvisualized railroad crossing sign earlier.

Car almost stops and then moves to pass everyone on the left. I disabled it instantly. I wonder what the car would have done confronted with the passing train and no barrier on that side. Not something I am willing to test.

I sense a pattern here. There are other posts with similar feedback. It would be helpful if FSD was fine tuned enough so you could tell the difference between creeping and actually going. I know I certainly drive in a manner that one can easily tell the difference.

I emailed them re: this issue yesterday. of course, no response, so who knows. but prolly won't hurt to make the wheel squeakier, if you haven't submitted that feedback.

I seriously thought 10.12.2 won't be rolled out wide given all the issues. I still think 10.12.2 has too many issues to be rolled out even wider ..... but who knows ?!
That's fair. I was also a bit surprised about the rapid rollout to existing users after the slow start. I would love some of the bugs to be ironed out, but I know it won't ever be perfect so I'm just eager to at least have the option to try it out. But I could see the red wheel and false strikes being showstoppers.

Reactions: Sigma4Life
That would be very helpful!

Half a dozen cars were stopped at a railroad crossing in town. Two lane road, double yellow line, single lane barriers down on each side, flashing lights visible, unvisualized railroad crossing sign earlier.

Car almost stops and then moves to pass everyone on the left. I disabled it instantly. I wonder what the car would have done confronted with the passing train and no barrier on that side. Not something I am willing to test.
My car has stopped multiple times for RR crossing on rural road. It shows flashing red lights. I was first in line. Once the lights went out the car just sat there waiting on a green to appear, wouldn’t move. This was several months ago. I had to hit the gas To go.

In your case did the car flash the red lights on the IC ? I could see your issue with car trying to go around thinking it was disabled car. I had something similar happen on a back road and also stopped the car. It like the car is only looking at car ahead and nothing else.