Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I seriously thought 10.12.2 won't be rolled out wide given all the issues. I still think 10.12.2 has too many issues to be rolled out even wider ..... but who knows ?!
After my first drive impressions, I also thought that we would see a pause at 10.12.2 followed by 10.12.3.
But what do I know ;)

[edit]
I see that TeslaFI shows one car that isn't tagged as previously having FSDb.
Maybe they're adding more cars?

My car has stopped multiple times for RR crossing on rural road. It shows flashing red lights. I was first in line. Once the lights went out the car just sat there waiting on a green to appear, wouldn’t move. This was several months ago. I had to hit the gas To go.

In your case did the car flash the red lights on the IC ?
Earlier, both train crossing and pedestrian crossing ahead signs, neither visualized. Once closer, there was a vague visualization of something at the train signal location but no flashing lights. Stopped/slowed several cars back. Truck in front crept very slowly forward, perhaps without completely stopping (no clear brake lights). Movement to left was perceptible and indicated by gray line (no blue). FSD may have changed its mind about passing the cars as I disabled it. Two second, three second, and four second fsd frames with left view at beginning and right view at end.

rr-track.jpg

Last edited:
I sense a pattern here. There are other posts with similar feedback. It would be helpful if FSD was fine tuned enough so you could tell the difference between creeping and actually going. I know I certainly drive in a manner that one can easily tell the difference.
What about letting FSD talk to itself out loud? "I'm creeping now, trying to see if it is clear... creeping and looking ... OK clear! I'm going for it."

Tesla Inc is genius. Somehow they've managed to get all of you guys (I don't think there are any women test pilots on the forum) to put miles on the latest beta programs and do it for free! Worse than for free - they made you pay?! I'm really surprised nobody has gotten into a crash. Stay safe people. Thank you for putting it through the ropes. I'm looking forward to getting FSD, but not until the forums and YouTube videos are raving about it (in a good way).
And it is probably not a coincidence between very few, if any, women beta testers and the common experience of wives putting the kibosh on FSD while they are in the car. What that says about men and women is left for the reader to decide.

Tesla Inc is genius. Somehow they've managed to get all of you guys (I don't think there are any women test pilots on the forum) to put miles on the latest beta programs and do it for free! Worse than for free - they made you pay?! I'm really surprised nobody has gotten into a crash. Stay safe people. Thank you for putting it through the ropes. I'm looking forward to getting FSD, but not until the forums and YouTube videos are raving about it (in a good way).
And it is probably not a coincidence between very few, if any, women beta testers and the common experience of wives putting the kibosh on FSD while they are in the car. What that says about men and women is left for the reader to decide.
What’s fun is watching the typical pattern:
- this next version is going to be massively improved!
-I got the next version! So far (1 Mile drive) it’s SOOO much better! It’s fire!

2 weeks later
- “yeah, this version has a lot of phantom braking and a lot of problems driving safely. I have to constantly keep my foot hovering over the brake because it creeps into intersections and the other foot hovering over the accelerator to prevent getting rear ended due to Phantom braking. I think I’m going to just turn it off.”

It’s the same with EVERY “update”.

🤣🤣

Earlier, both train crossing and pedestrian crossing ahead signs, neither visualized. Once closer, there was a vague visualization of something at the train signal location but no flashing lights. Stopped/slowed several cars back. Truck in front crept very slowly forward, perhaps without completely stopping (no clear brake lights). Movement to left was perceptible and indicated by gray line (no blue). FSD may have changed its mind about passing the cars as I disabled it. Two second, three second, and four second fsd frames with left view at beginning and right view at end.

View attachment 812534

This is a clear case why some kind of decent mapping & special semantics will be needed for a long time.

There was no obvious way from the visual input for the computer to distinguish this case from a stalled truck. It can't see through the truck and it doesn't have enough resolution or knowledge to see that it's a train crossing. Presumably a human would remember this location and treat it differently, and also hear the crossing gate bells or train itself.

This is a clear case why some kind of decent mapping & special semantics will be needed for a long time.

There was no obvious way from the visual input for the computer to distinguish this case from a stalled truck. It can't see through the truck and it doesn't have enough resolution or knowledge to see that it's a train crossing. Presumably a human would remember this location and treat it differently, and also hear the crossing gate bells or train itself.
I don't think its a mapping or resolution issue. I believe this is a case that requires some higher level training to be able to better infer the reason for a car ahead to be stopped.

As a human driver, you have learned to look ahead as you approach a stopped car to see if it is at the the end of a string of cars. If so, you conclude that the car is waiting for an obstruction to proceed to be cleared (a train, red light, accident, etc). You likely saw some indication of the line of cars before you were pulled up behind the end of the line.

The car seems not to have sufficient NN training to determine this yet. So, the planning sometimes gets it wrong and likely decides that you are behind a disabled or parked car and attempts to go around. In this case, the railroad crossing may have been occluded from the cameras so all the car knew at the time was that there is one stopped car ahead of it.

You can see a related effect by watching the visualization while your are stopped a few cars back at a busy intersection. You'll see cross traffic cars appear and disappear on the screen. Tesla needs to improve this by developing a capability to infer the presence of a vehicle after it has become occluded. Once this occurs, they can leverage that to infer that the last car in a line at a railroad crossing is part of a line of cars, even if the other cars have become occluded.

You can't just use a map to conclude a car several car lengths back from a railroad crossing is waiting on a train. It could be a disabled or parked vehicle that just happens to be near the crossing.

This issue has improved over the last few releases, at least it has in my experience. But, it still needs work.

A tale of 4 roundabouts.

I let 10.12.2 drive me home from Home Depot today, along route that included 4 roundabouts.

Roundabout #1: This was a fairly gentle, 2 lane roundabout on a 4 lane parkway. My route took me straight through the roundabout, and had no conflicting traffic. FSD braked gently, kept to the outside lane, and exited smoothly. I was truly impressed.

Roundabout #2: a little bit tighter, another 2 lane roundabout, 4 lane parkway, straight through. This time, i was still in outside lane, and there was a car ahead of me at 11 o'clock on the inside lane, and conflicting traffic in the outside lane of the roundabout approaching from left. The inside car stopped, but FSD was not slowing down much as it approached the yield line. I overrode to avoid the conflict. Its possible the conflicting traffic was not seen due to the car at 11 o'clock.

Roundabout #3: smaller 2 lane, the approach was 2 lane, the exit straight through was one lane, so the expected route was to keep to the outside. cars intending to take exit #3 are expected to take the inside lane. No conflicting traffic, but once inside the roundabout the car crossed to the inside lane, and was looking like it was heading toward exit 3, or possibly the lane divider island on exit 2. I had to override.

Roundabout #4. Small one lane, my route was exit 1 (right hand turn. No conflicting traffic, FSD slowed slightly from the 35mph speed limit and took the right hand turn at a fairly rapid clip. Much faster than I would have myself.

so, a mixed bag. 10.12.2 no longer full stops at the limit line as it had on all my previous roundabout experience. If anything, it approaches a bit too fast for comfort. It did, however, between the roundabouts, give way left a few feet to bicyclists in the bike lane, nice.

• Informative
Reactions: EVNow and Phlier
Says the folks with the new shiny. 😡

Edit. I am not actually mad. Just annoyed with Centurylink is all.
Centurylink - the only company with service worse than Comcast!

I’m still getting experience with 12.2. So far it’s better at some stuff but worse at others so it’s mostly just different. The comments here pretty much match my experience. I get it, though. You’d far rather experience it for yourself than read about others’ experience!

Reactions: israndy
I am going to state one thing positive, since I have been a whiney complaining little b*tch since I joined fsd beta in October about this one issue. Many of you long timers in these fsd forums have heard me complain about this many times. My neighborhood has a 35 mph 1 mile stretch after turning off my street to get to a main road. During that 1 mile, fsd would phantom brake at least 5 to 7 times. Which means I have hit the report button 100's of times since October. It didn't matter what time of day it was. However, and I held back the last few days to not jinx it, there are no phantom brakes for the whole way now in either direction. If everything else is still not perfect, they got 1 thing right at least for me on this release... I will take a deep breath now and wait to complain later 😊 🙂

I'm generally a lurker but after this update I've got to post that I see a lot of improvement with FSDb! There are so many variables- is it location? The weather? Sun angle? Are people more inclined to write when FSD doesn't work properly? How many people are disinclined to write but only post "likes", like me? Last couple days, here in Annapolis, 10.12.2 is a big improvement. Sure, I'm still disengaging, but that's more because I don't want to infuriate other (highly impatient) drivers. I still have my problem areas and I know to take over in advance, but yesterday I actually told my wife she might notice an improvement- that's saying something!

I'm generally a lurker but after this update I've got to post that I see a lot of improvement with FSDb! There are so many variables- is it location? The weather? Sun angle? Are people more inclined to write when FSD doesn't work properly? How many people are disinclined to write but only post "likes", like me? Last couple days, here in Annapolis, 10.12.2 is a big improvement. Sure, I'm still disengaging, but that's more because I don't want to infuriate other (highly impatient) drivers. I still have my problem areas and I know to take over in advance, but yesterday I actually told my wife she might notice an improvement- that's saying something!
Well said and pretty much my perspective. For many it’s an all or nothing evaluation. Not saying those points aren’t valid just that they are only focused on the thing it had trouble with and skipping past the hundreds of things it did well. Yes I too occasionally touch the accelerator at certain points and even disengage if I feel this might be a challenge (like road construction) but overall the continued development in this incredible problem to solve is rather impressive. Completely Understand my view is biased as I bought my car right at the starting point of FSD while others did so Many years prior so they have Every right to be jaded or angry by progress and rightfully so. I am blown away ever time I get in this car and it takes me to my destination often Hundreds of miles away with barely a few confirmation type (touch pedal etc) interactions.

I would further Thank the few contributions on this forum that provide Educated feedback and share that knowledge. Now that I have a good understanding of the dozen or so “shills” with an agenda or never Had or used FSDb I am able to filter to those contributing vs other.